Friday, April 26, 2013

Statement Analysis Announcement


With the remains in Scurry County found last month, we have had an increase in questions about the blog, the radio program, and about the principles Statement Analysis in general. I also host the radio program, "Crime Wire" which covers crimes and news stories with the special focus upon statements made by those involved in a given case.

By way of introduction, my name is Peter Hyatt, and I am a Statement Analyst.

Statement analysis is the analysis of words in which we seek to separate truth from deception, as well as  to seek content within a statement.

Statement Analysis, in various forms and under a variety of names, comes from the work of Avinoam Sapir, founder of the Laboratory of Scientific Interrogation.  His process, called "SCAN" (Scientific Content Analysis) has been taught throughout our country as well as internationally.  All major law enforcement arms (FBI, CIA, US Fed Marshalls) federally and locally (state) have received this training as well as a host of Fortune 500 companies, civil investigators, human resources, lawyers, therapists, counselors, journalists, debt collectors...and on and on the list goes.

The training is not overly difficult within itself; it is the practice necessary that is the greatest obstacle to successful analysis.  I liken it to learning all the notes on a musical instrument, like a piano, which may be learned in a short time, but to become efficient, it takes hundreds of hours of practice.  Even the same statement will yield up to 40% more information when re-analyzed from a "fresh" or "dispassionate" view.

It is a remarkable science, but also one that is instantly useful in day to day life.

To help this along, I will be posting a serious of lessons that are useful for both seasoned veterans of Statement Analysis and new readers.

Crime Wire

We have had two programs, "The Peter Hyatt Show" and "Crime Wire", with the former maybe returning to a weekly slot, and the latter being bi-weekly for us (Denny Griffin does the other weeks and is especially astute in organized crime).

Kaaryn Gough



I ask for assistance, at times, from other analysts and will recommend their books and websites.  Those like Mark McClish ("I Know You Are Lying") Wes Clark (I hope to have him on soon), and of course, Avinoam Sapir's course can be taken online:  www.lsiscn.com.  It is the begin and end all of which the rest of us benefit from.

I also introduce to you Kaaryn Gough, who is both an analyst and a private investigator from Canada.  Kaaryn has, of late, contributed to Crime Wire where she is a popular guest.  She is a gifted instructor with the talent to not only explain principles of Statement Analysis, but the ability to 'see' in a very visual manner, and enter into the statement in a way that leaves her vulnerable, like one who 'understands' the statement, even when the subject (the person) who wrote or spoke the statement, has committed an atrocity against another human being.  Her input has been invaluable to those of us eager to learn.


Upcoming articles will include actual lessons, quizzes, and tests (perhaps even some homework assignments).

The titles will show which topics are addressed and in time, all the basic principles will be covered under the title "Statement Analysis Lesson:  _______________" for easier reference and searching which may prove to be especially helpful for new readers, or those working on statements that need some assistance.

61 comments:

dadgum said...

Huzzah!
Hooray!
Whoppee!

Thank you, Peter..
Sounds like a bit of extra work, with all the washing, brushing, light switching, and door closing..BUT tour efforts will be valued by us all.

john said...

Here Here dadgum..

~Doffs Hat~

patrice said...

You are wonderful!

Dee said...

This is a wonderful idea. I like having actual lessons. I hope some of the new posters who came to the blog because of Hailey will stick around with us too.

Apple said...

Yay!!

Chromedaffodils said...

This is wonderful and appreciated. God bless! btw The link is not loading the site for http://www.lsiscn.com/

john said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john said...

Chromedaffodils


Here is the link,there's an A missing in Peters link.

http://www.lsiscan.com/

SAlurkerOne said...

Haven't been on lately.
So happy to hear this! I love the quizzes that we have done already. This will be great!

Awesome!!! Doing my happy dance! :D

dahbou said...

Wow, just yesterday I was wishing I could take a class in the subject and there you go! Thank you!

Nic said...

This is will be a generous gift. Thank you, Peter.

Happy Friday! :0)

Lynn said...

That's so awesome, Peter! Thank you! I was wondering if you have read Cold Case Christianity. I picked it up the other day and it was cool because he speaks about statement analysis and used the principles to decide whether or not he believed in Christ.

elf under fire said...

Awesome:)

Jen said...

I'm very happy to hear this, I need something productive and educational to concentrate on. I'm going thru a very tough time...

sella35 said...

I just got my book, "I know you are lying" by Mark Mcclish. Looking forward to reading it this weekend.

john said...

sella35,

Its a great read ,user friendly,and loads of case examples..

Enjoy..

Randie said...

Woot! Woot!

Yes!

shmi said...

Thanks Peter! I have been reading here regularly for a few years. Love your teaching!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

~ABC said...

This is exciting news. Thank you Peter!

Apple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apple said...

Jen,
Oh no... I will pray for you and your family

elf under fire said...

Statement analysis is a fascinating subject to study. Before, if someone wasn't being truthful I would just get a feeling that something wasn't right. Now I know why. My grandma used to tell me that I needed to listen to what people are really saying and Peters blog has been a revelation on what I think she meant.

john said...

OT,

I found this to be an interesting read.

Big Lies and the Boogie Man..

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-equation/201304/big-lies-and-the-boogie-man

Jen said...

Thank u Apple-I went into pre-term labor early Tuesday morning and lost my 20wk old baby boy. Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

john said...

Jen,

I extend my prayers to you also..

BIG HUG..

BostonLady said...

Jen, I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family and your sweet 20 week little boy. ((Hugs))

~ABC said...

God Bless your and yours Jen!

Anonymous said...

May God bless you, Peter. You can positively refer to other statement analysis professionals who would be considered to be your "competition". It's obvious that you work in this field to serve others rather than yourself. Thank you for helping others.

Peter Hyatt said...

Jen,

I am sorry for your loss.

Peter

BostonLady said...

Hi Peter,

I am looking forward to your lessons, quizzes and more statements to analyze.

You are very kind to provide this blog and teachings!!!

Have a great weekend....

elf under fire said...

:( Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss. Be strong.

Lis said...

Nice!

Lis said...

Aw, Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jen said...

Thank u everyone for your kind words...I will grieve and eventually grow from this trial, although I may never fully understand why.

TrishapatK said...

@ Jen,
I am so sorry to hear of the heartbreak you are going through. I know how much we love our babies as soon as we know they are growing inside our womb. I wish we could help you to get through this time. I trust that there are others who know you and who will take this opportunity to show that they care about you and your family.
I don't think it will be much consolation now but I can say that some of the most compassionate, kind and wise people I know are the ones who have suffered. They end up being some of the "richest" people I know and are a blessing to many.
I hope that the love and concern from other people will help carry you through this hard time and lighten the load just a bit. I don't even know you but I have tears rolling down my cheeks in thinking about what you must feel.

Local anon said...

Great! I need more lessons!

Eliza said...

Thank you, Peter! I'm looking forward to the lessons and quizzes!

Local anon said...

I posted before I read the comments. Jen, I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Eliza said...

Jen, I'm so sorry... Have faith and better times will come! My prayers are with you.

Nic said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Jen. God speed to you, the family and your little boy.

Sus said...

Jen,
I am sorry for your loss of your baby son. I am praying praying for your comfort.

Peter,
I am looking forward to the lessons. Thank you.

Hobnob said...

Jen, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, hugs you tight honey xx

Dee said...

Jen...I'm so sorry for the heartbreak you are going through with your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

JerseyJane said...

Jen, we sense your love, caring, and sweetness here, know that your baby is filled with your wonderful gifts forever.
Much comfort for all of your family.

Lemon said...

Oh Jen I'm so very sorry!
Big hugs
Lemon

Apple said...

Jen,
My heart breaks for you. I did not know you were that far along. I am so sorry.

Bonnie Blue said...

Jen,
It's so hard to know the right words in a time like this. May God comfort your heart and help you through. I'm sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of you! [[big hug]]

Don't give up!

Jen said...

All of your words of kindness overwhelm me..thank you so much for taking the time to say them, and for your thoughts and prayers.

jess said...

Jen, my thoughts are with you, I don't know you but I'm sad for what you're going through. I'm sending much love to you right now.

Anonymous said...

Anther case of "3" kidnappers:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?id=9074533&section=news%2Flocal

Trixiebelle said...

Friday, April 26th = 41 days since Scurry County remains discovered.
Saturday, April 27th= 42 since Scurry County remains discovered.
....sorry I haven't posted my count in the past few days....that little thing called "work" got in the way but never fear, I'm still counting and hoping.

Trixiebelle said...

ps, Jen,....as a former Labor and Delivery Room nurse, I am sorry to see the sad news on the loss of your son. I can say with all sincerity that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to your loss but know that there are many that have suffered similarly. Sleep well and may your little guy be your guardian angel in this life.

Lemon said...

Trixiebelle, they've identified the remains…see Peter's latest posts.

dadgum said...

Jen..The prayers of our family are with you. Take the time you need (as a couple, as a family) to grieve and to rest.

(((hugs)))

https://www.facebook.com/iamamothertoanangel Kerin is a friend of mine..if you choose to visit her, tell her you know Sam's Mom..

Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm so sorry. I found the book "Empty Arms" very helpful. God bless.

Vita said...

Jen,
I am deeply sorry, the loss of your precious son. I hug you.
Vita

Anonymous said...

This article is what I have been waiting for. Glad you're back Peter. We've missed you since Casey. You slowly have made your way back to where you were post Casey. I anticipate more great things.

Jen said...

Thank you again for the kind words and prayers, and also for the book suggestion. I am struggling most with 'why', although I know I may never understand. I feel like I should have known something was wrong before it was too late. My husband and family have been wonderful (this happened on the first day of my husband's new job, after being laid off since Dec), yet his new company treated us like family and made it possible for him to stay by my side. As painful as this has been, I have been humbled by the kindness and love of others..including all of you.

Jen said...

Thank you again for the kind words and prayers, and also for the book suggestion. I am struggling most with 'why', although I know I may never understand. I feel like I should have known something was wrong before it was too late. My husband and family have been wonderful (this happened on the first day of my husband's new job, after being laid off since Dec), yet his new company treated us like family and made it possible for him to stay by my side. As painful as this has been, I have been humbled by the kindness and love of others..including all of you.