Saturday, August 31, 2013

Human Resources: The Coat of Many Colors

In the past ten years, I have met many investigators, both in law enforcement and in the civil realm, whose jobs were to gather information.

I have found that the SCAN method (www.lsiscan.com) of Statement Analysis is the "grandfather" of all statement analysis techniques taught today.  It is the brainchild of Avinoam Sapir and it reduces subjectivity tremendously.

When, for example, a company has been robbed by one of  its employees, if this number of employees is finite (who had access to the missing money or goods), I am able to say:

"Have each employee write out a statement of what they did from the time they woke up on the day of the robbery, until the time they went to sleep" and if all cooperate, I say to the company:

"You have a 100% chance of knowing who stole."

This is stupendous within itself.

Yet, I find myself saying it, over and over.

Even if police are unable to prove it, or, realistically, the prosecutor is not willing to press the issue, the company itself will know.

They will know.

Even if it is not prosecuted, they can keep their eye on the thief for better security and less risk to their overhead.

The system is this good.

In my travels and trainings, I have found that insurance companies often lure away law enforcement's "best and brightest" to investigate claims for them.  Insurance companies pay more, provide better training, and do not operate on quotas:  they are free to hire the best candidates.  In defense of law enforcement, they have to spend a lot of time in weapons and vehicle training which may show why so many score poorly on "deception" tests.  (It has been shown that even after training, law enforcement scores very low on deception detection examinations as they still consider all to be lying).

I also found that among the civilian population a rare breed of individuals who wear many hats, or as it is, a "coat of many colors" and stripes:  Human Resources.

Among these professionals, I have found some examples of intuitive excellence in interviewing.

Analytical Interviewing.

Analytical Interviewing is simply using Statement Analysis in in the interview.

It is legally sound, non forceful, and uses the language of the subject not the language of the interviewer.

When I teach this, I find many "aha!" moments from Human Resources professionals.

They interview many people, not simply new hires, but they, in their multi-faceted work, interview people, even on the fly, over disputes.

Some of these disputes are short, 30 to 60 minute interviews which require the wisdom of Solomon (which comes in careful listening; which we train for!), but some are far weightier:

Sexual harassment allegations that threaten the financial status of the company, not only through law suits, but also through reputation.

No company wants this ugliness interfering with their work.

Human Resource professionals, in my experience, are some of the most qualified individuals I have met and here is something I consider personal, and sensitive:

If a loved one of mine was a victim of a criminal activity in which the investigation would warrant the highest level of skill in the interview process, I would consider specifically requesting someone of excellence from a human resources department over experienced law enforcement.

Why?

Law enforcement often loses its best and brightest to the private sector's lure of better income.  Insurance investigators, in New England, can be paid up to 25% more than in law enforcement.  I would check insurance companies as well, and want to interview prospective interviewers for the job.

Those trained in SCAN would be no-brainers for me.

Cops have to do weapons training and vehicle training and constantly practice these skills, taking away valuable time training in linguistics.

Human Resources is  "information gathering", period.  This is what I want:  information.

I don't want someone bullied into a false confession, or intimidated by a cop tapping his gun.  I want a thinker, not a cowboy.

I have met some in law enforcement who are excellent in Statement Analysis  and its interview process (interviewing off the analysis; i.e, "Analytical Interviewing.")


To have a human resources professional trained in Statement Analysis is the perfect storm of experience, intuition and a scientific process that goes well beyond anything body language analysis and microexpression training can give.

Human Resources needs the best and brightest as they wear the coat of many colors, with its many responsibilities, from referee to legal advisor to therapist.  They are experts in the one thing Statement Analysis wants more than anything else:

information.

Some of it quite sensitive, too.

Scheduling training for human resources in Statement Analysis is ideal.  Companies will find that the more seasoned veterans of human resources will say, "hey, I knew that!" more often than not.


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a darling photo of the little boy with his penetrating and questioning eyes, almost as if to accuse! It would be hard to pull one over on this kid!

Trigger said...

"Law enforcement scores are very low on deception detection examinations as they still consider all to be lying."

This sounds reasonable.

If LE would learn the basics of SCAN. They could easily weed out people who were telling the truth and speed up the process of investigations.

A "reliable denial" would eliminate more interviews and interview time.

Jen said...

Funny you should post on this topic!

My husband is currently interviewing potential candidates for several positions that he needs to fill asap, and the process has been very frustrating. One out of three candidates is not qualified, either by lack of experience or education (although they claim to be qualifed on their application)..and the ones who meet those requirements end up failing the background check (after outright lying on their applications).

He is getting discouraged and fed up...most of the applicants come from a local employment office who is SUPPOSED to screen the applicants and only send those who are suited for the positions. So far they have sent a registered sex offender (who tried to bypass the background check with letters of recommendation, constant religious references & when that didn't work... a 6 page email explaining why the info obtained from his background check should be disgarded...his attorney MADE him plead guilty, blah blah), a cocaine trafficker with multiple felony drug and assault convictions, and a guy who had 2 DUI convictions (interviewing for a job driving a company vehicle)!

I suggested he forget the agency (why bother since they are sending people like this) and tweak his interveiw questions. As rude as it seems, I told him he may as well ask them when they walk in the door if they are going to have an issue passing the background check...why waste time interviewing them if they are! He reads this blog occasionally, and after reading this I'm going to suggest he study up a little more and take advantage of that knowledge to make this process easier.

BTW-I read the email from the sex offender and he used a lot of 'we' and 'our' throughout, esp. when trying to explain his motives for 'pleading guilty so WE could get on with OUR lives', etc). It was interesting for SA!

Anonymous said...

http://m.wbtv.com/autojuice?targetUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wbtv.com%2fstory%2f23281890%2fsandy-parsons-only-thing-i-want-right-now-is-erica-to-call-home
This is a must read. Are you going to do statement analysis on Casey and Sandy Parsons? They have had quit a few interviews and such regarding their missing daughter Erica Parsons. I couldn't believe in this televised interview Sandy Parsons stated he has tattoos that are unknown to many. He says I have my kids' names tattooed on me and there is Erica's Dead on center! What a damning statement.

Jen said...

Hi Anon

Here are Sandy Parsons statements from the article you posted...if anyone wants to analyze, they are rich with red flags!

 "The only thing I want right now is Erica to call home, tell us she's safe, and get my two babies," Parsons told WBTV.  "Nobody realizes that there's two small kids involved in this that do want to come home."   

"No judge in Rowan County will give me my kids back while this is going on," Parsons said. "And people riding by death threats, stuff like that, it just brings out the weirdos." 

"They're flipping me off, hollering. I'm getting weird phone calls. You ought to hear some of the phone calls I got," he said."One at 1:30 in the morning, some woman, creepy voice, telling me she wants to kill me." 

"There's been sightings, I've had family members call me recently and say there was a sighting at a rest stop," he claims. "We asked, 'why didn't you call the cops? Don't wait and call us - call the cops!'" 

(About aiming at group of reporters and nearly running them down with a uhaul truck)
"I apologize". "I was just frustrated with the helicopters and I was getting phone calls - when I was doing all that yesterday - from the cops saying people were calling them, ringing the phone off the hook, saying you were running." 

(About the wrapped knives & teeth seized from their 'secret' storage shed, located more than 7mi from their home)
"I had my baby boxes in there and they were tearing them apart, we saved the teeth for the tooth fairy," Parsons said.  

"My kids initials are tattooed on my arm in barb wire," Parsons added. "I got Erica dead center. I raised her and she wanted to go live with grandmother and that was fine. And now she don't want to come home, don't want to call." 

"Whether it comes out now or comes out when she's an adult and floating around and having a kid somewhere, but I don't know," Parsons said. 

Jen said...

Geez, where do I start on these statements by Parsons!

 "The only thing I want right now is Erica to call home, tell us she's safe, and get my two babies," Parsons told WBTV.  "Nobody realizes that there's two small kids involved in this that do want to come home."   

-He starts out saying the ONLY thing he wants is Erica to call and TELL them she is safe (not come home)...then he immediately adds that he wants to get his OTHER two babies back. Seeing that Erica is the one missing, one would think his only priority would be getting her home, as he knows where his other two kids are and producing Erica Is the only way to get them back.

"No judge in Rowan County will give me my kids back while this is going on," Parsons said. "And people riding by death threats, stuff like that, it just brings out the weirdos." 

-He blames the judge/judges for not having his OTHER kids (who appear to be all he cares about despite his daughter Erica being the one 'missing'), then he turn his anger to 'the weirdos' who (according to him) are riding by death threats..whatever that means.

"They're flipping me off, hollering. I'm getting weird phone calls. You ought to hear some of the phone calls I got," he said."One at 1:30 in the morning, some woman, creepy voice, telling me she wants to kill me." 

-Again, his focus is the public and those who are persecuting him by 'hollering' and 'flipping him off'...pretty trite thing to be preoccupied with considering the fact that LE has called his story about what became of Erica a 'fabrication', he failed a polygraph, and his house has been torn apart by search warrant with items of interest seized (red stained floorboards and carpets, wrapped knives and teeth, according to other articles and NG show)

sidewalk super said...


He said Erica might be out there floating around? Ugh.

Jen said...

Hi Anon

Here are Sandy Parsons statements from the article you posted...if anyone wants to analyze, they are rich with red flags!

 "The only thing I want right now is Erica to call home, tell us she's safe, and get my two babies," Parsons told WBTV.  "Nobody realizes that there's two small kids involved in this that do want to come home."   

"No judge in Rowan County will give me my kids back while this is going on," Parsons said. "And people riding by death threats, stuff like that, it just brings out the weirdos." 

"They're flipping me off, hollering. I'm getting weird phone calls. You ought to hear some of the phone calls I got," he said."One at 1:30 in the morning, some woman, creepy voice, telling me she wants to kill me." 

"There's been sightings, I've had family members call me recently and say there was a sighting at a rest stop," he claims. "We asked, 'why didn't you call the cops? Don't wait and call us - call the cops!'" 

(About aiming at group of reporters and nearly running them down with a uhaul truck)
"I apologize". "I was just frustrated with the helicopters and I was getting phone calls - when I was doing all that yesterday - from the cops saying people were calling them, ringing the phone off the hook, saying you were running." 

(About the wrapped knives & teeth seized from their 'secret' storage shed, located more than 7mi from their home)
"I had my baby boxes in there and they were tearing them apart, we saved the teeth for the tooth fairy," Parsons said.  

"My kids initials are tattooed on my arm in barb wire," Parsons added. "I got Erica dead center. I raised her and she wanted to go live with grandmother and that was fine. And now she don't want to come home, don't want to call." 

"Whether it comes out now or comes out when she's an adult and floating around and having a kid somewhere, but I don't know," Parsons said. 

Jen said...

Ugg....I dont now why this happens! This one double posted and one of my other posts disappeared after I hit publish. Sorry for the double post!

Anonymous said...

Yes you are correct there are a lot of red flags. Good analysis and good job pointing all those out.

john said...

My try at analyzing this:

"The only thing I want right now is Erica to call home, tell us she's safe, and get my two BABIES," Parsons told WBTV. "Nobody realizes that there's two small KIDS involved in this that do want to come home."

He goes from describing them as BABIES to KIDS.In S/A their are no synonyms.If someone said,i took out my gun and shot him,i then holstered my weapon.Once his gun is fired it becomes a weapon this is a changed in reality.I don't see any change in reality for him to go from calling them BABIES then changing them to KIDS.

"No judge in Rowan County will give me my KIDS back while this is going on," Parsons said. "And people riding by death threats, stuff like that, it just brings out the weirdos."

What is his internal subjective dictionary definition of "Weirdo"

What does he mean by saying."And people riding by death threats."

"People" is gender neutral.Did he see who it was,if he did,why is he hiding their identity.

"They're flipping me off, hollering. I'm getting weird phone calls. You ought to hear some of the phone calls I GOT," he said."One at 1:30 in the morning, some woman, creepy voice, telling me she wants to kill me."

"I GOT" is past tense,have the phone calls stopped.

"There's been SIGHTINGS, I'VE had family members call ME recently and say there was a SIGHTING at a rest stop," he claims. "We asked, 'why didn't you call the cops? Don't wait and call US - call the cops!'"

He says "SIGHTINGS" Plural, then shifts to "SIGHTING" Singular.So how many "sightings have there? been?

Who are the family members who called?,have LE looked into this?Where is the rest stop?,and as he states "Sightings"were are the other places she has been seen?

He states he took the phone calls,then says"We" asked 'why didn't you call the cops?'Don't WAIT and call us - call the cops!'"

So according to him.his family members have had "sightings/sighting"and they then waited for awhile then called him.Why would they wait?

"Cops" is repeated is this a sensitive issue for him.

"My kids initials are tattooed on my arm in BARB WIRE,"

Wow..Most people who get tattoos with their "KIDS" names,usually put them in a heart or something of that ilk.Does he feel that by doing this he is protecting them from the outside,or is it he who wants them to be behind "Barbed wire"and trapped..

"I got Erica DEAD center."

Again Wow..What does he mean by DEAD center.Is this an embedded admission of Ericas' death.

"Whether it comes out now or comes out when she's an adult and FLOATING AROUND and having a kid somewhere, but I don't know," Parsons said.

"DEAD CENTER AND NOW FLOATING AROUND"

Are there rivers near by,could Erica be in the "DEAD CENTER OF A RIVER etc..

john said...

Just to add to my above post.

"FLOATING AROUND"

Is this a reference to WATER as i stated above,if it is would it come under the umbrella of possible child abuse,be it Erica,or was he abused in the past?

Jo said...

When I heard "floating around" I thought angel but water works too.

Anonymous said...

John you pointed things I didn't notice. Floating around statement reminded me of a ghost, but also could be water which you picked up on.

exhausted said...

Peter,
I check this page daily in hopes that you've done a lengthy post on the Parsons. hint, hint, nudge, nudge...

Anonymous said...

Me too. They have talked a lot and I would like to see what Peter Hyatt can get out of all those statements.

Anonymous said...

Now I have to go look up the Parsons to see what that case is about.

Anonymous said...

Investigators also seized teeth from the Parsons home and from a work shed on property owned by the Parsons family. "I had my baby boxes in there and they were tearing them apart,WE SAVED THE TEETH for the tooth fairy," Parsons said. Parsons also showed a tattoo on his bicep that he says few people knew that he had. It's barbed wire with the initials of each child.

Is it possible they removed Erica's teeth?

Anonymous said...

He's adorable.. he makes me think about Ayla..

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am Shivane Kay, member of a leading Human Resource Training community. I had landed on your website “statement-analysis.blogspot.com" and found the articles really worth reading. The quality of your content is so good, that it made me request you something. I love to write Microsoft office Training articles and would like to contribute something for your website. I can give you an original guest post and if you want, you can suggest me the topic also and I will write accordingly. Not only that, I will also give you all the rights to edit the article and modify it as per your need.

In response I expect you to give a link back to one of my endorser who helps me to continue my passion and serve individual sites and blogs like yours.

Please let me know your thoughts. Waiting for your positive.

Thanks

Shivane Kay