Monday, August 25, 2014

"A Letter From Jim"

"Dear Family and Friends,

I remember going to the Mall with Dad, a very long bike ride with Mom. I remember so many great family times that take me away from this prison. Dreams of family and friends take me away and happiness fills my heart.

I know you are thinking of me and praying for me. And I am so thankful. I feel you all especially when I pray. I pray for you to stay strong and to believe. I really feel I can touch you even in this darkness when I pray.

Eighteen of us have been held together in one cell, which has helped me. We have had each other to have endless long conversations about movies, trivia, sports. We have played games made up of scraps found in our cell…we have found ways to play checkers, Chess, and Risk… and have had tournaments of competition, spending some days preparing strategies for the next day’s game or lecture. The games and teaching each other have helped the time pass. They have been a huge help. We repeat stories and laugh to break the tension.

I have had weak and strong days. We are so grateful when anyone is freed; but of course, yearn for our own freedom. We try to encourage each other and share strength. We are being fed better now and daily. We have tea, occasional coffee. I have regained most of my weight lost last year.

I think a lot about my brothers and sister. I remember playing Werewolf in the dark with Michael and so many other adventures. I think of chasing Mattie and T around the kitchen counter. It makes me happy to think of them. If there is any money left in my bank account, I want it to go to Michael and Matthew. I am so proud of you, Michael and thankful to you for happy childhood memories and to you and Kristie for happy adult ones.

And big John, how I enjoyed visiting you and Cress in Germany. Thank you for welcoming me. I think a lot about RoRo and try to imagine what Jack is like. I hope he has RoRo’s personality!

And Mark… so proud of you too Bro. I think of you on the West coast and hope you are doing some snowboarding and camping, I especially remember us going to the Comedy Club in Boston together and our big hug after. The special moments keep me hopeful.

Katie, so very proud of you. You are the strongest and best of us all!! I think of you working so hard, helping people as a nurse. I am so glad we texted just before I was captured. I pray I can come to your wedding…. now I am sounding like Grammy!!

Grammy, please take your medicine, take walks and keep dancing. I plan to take you out to Margarita’s when I get home. Stay strong because I am going to need your help to reclaim my life.

Jim"

17 comments:

John Mc Gowan said...

OT

Ferguson Police Officer Justin Cosma Hog-Tied And Injured A Young Child, Lawsuit Alleges

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/24/justin-cosma-ferguson-police_n_5705409.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000021&ir=Crime

Anonymous said...

That was sad to read.

How do they get letters out? I'm surprised their letters would actually get mailed.

Anonymous said...

I heard this morning that he asked another hostage to memorize it, and when that hostage was freed he called Foley's parents and recited it to them. So sad.

Anonymous said...

That was very sad to read.

Anonymous said...

There's no way to know how much actual truth was written in that letter (concerning all this fun, weight gain and, etc., that he was supposedly having), considering that if it did come from Jim it would have been scrutinized before it was mailed.

John Mc Gowan said...

Why won't this article allow be to copy and paste?

Anonymous said...

I would wonder if the statements about fun, etc.. were to comfort his family that it wasn't terrible and he was ok. I am so sad to read this, it must be so bittersweet to his family.

Unknown said...

Heartbreaking.

I pray for those still being held hostage.

MizzMarple said...

Peter,

Sorry for the off topic but have you ever done a statement analysis on anything that was written as "Anonymous" ?

If so, could you please point to the location. Thanks !

I was reading an Ad that was written "anonymously" in a case I am following, and your input would be fantastic !

Thank You.

John Mc Gowan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Mc Gowan said...

OT

Teacher Jennifer Caswell Charged With Rape After Being Found With Teen In Hotel: Cops

An Oklahoma teacher who was under investigation for an inappropriate relationship with a student faces a slew of charges -- including second-degree rape -- after police in Mississippi say they caught her in a hotel room with a 15-year-old student.

Jennifer Caswell, a 28-year-old former English teacher at Hollis Middle School in Hollis, Oklahoma, resigned from her position in April amid allegations that she was having an illicit affair with a student.

Prosecutors told the Oklahoman that initially, they didn't really have hard evidence in the case, only reports of suspicious behavior.

“Things that raised kind of an eyebrow. People seeing a teacher alone with a child may or may not be anything. It could just be innocent contact,” Harmon County Assistant District Attorney Eric Yarborough told the newspaper. “The child said nothing’s going on, she’s just a nice teacher.”

But then, on June 18, police in Olive Branch, Mississippi, say they caught Caswell with the boy at a Best Western. Authorities say a subsequent investigation revealed that the former teacher and the victim had sex multiple times in April and May of this year, including twice at school, according to the Lawton Constitution.

In a police interview, the minor allegedly said that Caswell had sex with him in a classroom at school three days before resigning from her job, and then again several times in her car and at the victim's home in the weeks following her resignation.

The Mississippi incident happened more than 650 miles away from the victim's home town while he was away visiting his mother. The victim told police that he hopped a fence in a church parking lot to meet Caswell, who appears to have traveled from Oklahoma to rendezvous with the boy.

Caswell now faces three counts of second-degree rape, two counts of enticing a child, and one count of forcible sodomy.

According to the Oklahoman, Caswell had been married prior to the investigation into the alleged sex abuse. She was formerly known as Jennifer Sexton, but since obtaining a divorce from her husband, has restored her maiden name of Caswell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/18/jennifer-caswell-teacher-sex-rape_n_5688024.html?cps=gravity

Anonymous said...

John, this former teacher deserves a very long prison sentence and I hope she gets one. WHAT is wrong with these stupid women that they never learn? Actually, I wonder how much satisfaction these experienced women could be getting from these boys when they aren't even fully matured sexually.

The minor (obviously willing) participant; wouldn't he be charged as a juvenile offender? He should be. He knew this was an underage offense; not that I'm trying to blame him all that much, but he did continue to participate, obviously enjoying his illicit underage affair. Why shouldn't he have to face the music too?

Aren't they taught to say no to drugs, why not sex? I think he (and other juveniles) have some lessons to learn here too.

Tim said...

"and have had tournaments of competition, spending some days preparing strategies for the next day’s game or lecture"


This language seems clunky. The word choice is generic and oddly formal.

Anonymous said...

I know it isn't funny. But I can't help myself, I'm ROFL at this:

Prosecutors told the Oklahoman that initially, they didn't really have hard evidence in the case, only reports of suspicious behavior.

Anonymous said...

haha.... Reading your post, with emphasis on the "hard" evidence, it IS funny when you think about it that way, Anon @1:30.

Could this boy even produce much more than suspicious behavior? Considering the boys' age and immaturity, prosecutors might have had a 'little' hard evidence but in reality, how MUCH 'hard' could he actually produce?

Stupid silly women. If they wanted some "hard" evidence they ought to be frolicking with a man who can actually produce it!

Duh!

Statement Analysis Blog said...

Anonymous said...
There is a wonderful statement by a prominent politician who was accused of a hoax that could be analyzed. Unfortunately the blog owner is not objective when it comes to political matters. I would love to see someone else analyze it.
August 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM


What politician?
What hoax?
What link?
What blog owner?

Peter

PS: I'd sign it "anonymous", too.

Doty said...

anon at 2:55 you have got to be trolling. i do not believe anyone could actually entertain the idea of punishment for the child/boy victim.