Monday, August 4, 2014

"I Threw Him in the Garbage Can"

No one ever "steals" anything and can often pass a polygraph when asked, "Did you steal...?"

People "take" things they think are, somehow, owed to them.  The same thief who passes a polygraph when asked the morally charged, "steal" question, may fail when asked, "Did you take...?" with the neutral "take" instead of "steal" used.

We find this same form of minimization in the death of children.

We have seen that one who gave drugs to another, who died of an overdose, says, "I didn't kill her", as the drugs killed her.  This is distancing language.

Even when a seemingly Reliable Denial comes by a deceptive person, the liar struggles to keep his mouth shut, knowing it is a lie, and adds words.  This then nullifies the Reliable Denial.  Principle remains the same:  3 components only; not two, and not four.  This is a good example of why we do not interrupt someone who is speaking.  We do not control the interview.  We do not introduce language to a subject.  We do not ask leading questions.

We listen.

MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC) - Maurice Brown Sr., the man accused of murdering his own son, took the witness stand Saturday saying he didn't kill the 3-year-old, but admitted he did put the child's body in a dumpster.
"I messed up. I didn't kill my son. I just messed up," said the father. "I tried to bring him back and like, he wouldn't do it."

A reliable denial has three components:
1.  The pronoun "I"
2.  The past tense verb, "didn't"
3.  The specific allegation answered:  "kill."
If there are less than three, it is unreliable.  If it is more than three, it is unreliable.  Does he issue a reliable denial on the stand?
"I didn't kill my son", by itself, is very strong.  This passes the test for the three pronged denial, but remember:
Less than three, or more than three means it is an "Unreliable Denial."
Here, he prefaces:
"I messed up" indicating that he did do something.  Yet, in the inclusion of just one more word, we find that he turns his denial inside out:
"I just messed up", with the word "just" used to make a comparison.  
He then goes on to blame the child, as if the child's will was against his own will:
"he wouldn't do it."

Brown testified he'd gotten upset with his son for splashing bath water all over the floor. That's when he says he started whipping him and chasing him around their house.
Brown says he discovered his son was not breathing when he put him to bed after beating him with a belt. He said he tried to take his son to the hospital but when he got into his car, it would not start.
"I knew I had just slapped him and the knot on his head got bigger and I was doing CPR. "
When asked what he did next Brown replied, "I threw him in the garbage, threw him in the garbage can."
"I threw him in the garbage can" is a straight forward sentence and likely true. 
At one point during the trial, prosecutor Jennifer Nichols asked the accused father to demonstrate how he had chased his son around the house, whipping him with a belt.
"From the time he was running I was swinging, like that. I was like you can run all you want to."
Brown told prosecutors after putting his little boy in the dumpster, all he could think about was his mother and other members of his family.
Prosecution: "You were shocked that you killed your child?Brown: "I didn't kill my son."Prosecution: You didn't?"Brown: "No ma'am."Prosecution: "Then what are you shocked about?"Brown: The incident that just happened.Prosecution: "No sir, incidents don't just happen."
Note that the prosecutor recognizes passivity in language.  Passivity is used to conceal identity or responsibility and here, the prosecutor sees the deception in the answer.  

****************************************************************************

We are hoping to expand our Statement Analysis services to include audio files, transcription services, and  online courses available via download.

If you would like to help:

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is really sad. cause it's just so vivid and just so sad.

but it's a good clear example of how a guilty guy can say he didn't do it, believe he didn't do it - but if you ask the right question you have better chance of seeing he did did it.

Anonymous said...

"I messed up. I didn't kill my son. I just messed up," said the father.

"I tried to bring him back and like, he wouldn't do it."

Brown says he discovered his son was not breathing when he put him to bed after beating him with a belt.

"From the time he was running I was swinging, like that. I was like you can run all you want to."

Father: From the time he was running, I was swinging( he running away from his father as he was scared) I was like, (this his internal)not said out loud to his Three year old son.

He does not share if he made physical contact while swinging. This is fathers normal, his belief the actions of his terrorizing his Three year old son is " discipline"

His acts upon his son is what killed him. He didn't stop at swinging, he didn't stop at chasing, he continued his assaults "within a duration" time line not said by him. He using abusing him with a strap furthering the abuse inflicted prior to.

Brown says he discovered his son was not breathing when he put him to bed after beating him with a belt.

When asked what he did next Brown replied, "I threw him in the garbage, threw him in the garbage can."

He: "I threw him in the garbage" As he is in disbelief he killed him, his trowing his son in the garbage can; he was disposing his crimes.

The savage cruelty terror he imposed upon his son is not his to own up to. His mind, it wasn't abuse, he was disciplining him.

The end result: his son paid with his life for his father's lack of discipline of being a real man.

Real Men do not hit, harm, terrorize children nor women.

I do not believe Mr. Brown learned this lesson. Not even at his sons expense ie: he threw him in the garbage can

Anonymous said...

People make me sick.

Anonymous said...

Not only are his statements sickening but I also don't see any remorse... Almost as if he didn't kill his son but his son caused his own death.

Karen T said...

This person shows no remorse at all. He is scary. He needs to be locked up & never let out. If he is out, he WILL kill again. Even in prison, he may kill again. Scary to the utmost degree.