Monday, August 18, 2014

Lying In Proverbs and Psalms

Peter Hyatt with grandson
Many are familiar with Psalm 23, "...The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want..." and with some of the Proverbs of Solomon.  What you may not realize is how much is taught in Psalms and Proverbs about deception.

The depth of these here in the topic of lying is evident.  Commentary follows in black type.  These sayings are ancient, timeless and true.  Among everything else, consider, if you have a child or grandchild, what happens to your little loved one when lying is not corrected.  One need not to be Jewish or Christian to appreciate the wisdom found here.

                        All children lie, but what of those who are not corrected?

Our prisons are full of them.  Make any excuse you wish, but all children lie, and all children need correction because of it.

Psalms 40:4, "Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies."
Note the association with the "proud" in the context of lying.  Have you ever been among those in business who believe that lying is not only expected but that one who does not lie is more of a simpleton unworthy of business?  The ego of the liar is evident in that the liar holds the audience in contempt, expecting his lies to be embraced.  
Psalms 52:2-4, "Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue."
I often say that "liars will hurt you in ways you did not imagine" to business owners and Human Resources executives.  When you have a job applicant who lies in the interview, on the resume, or even on the application itself, the liar will trouble you in unexpected ways, anything from theft to personal discord among workers.  I find that the liar always surprises me, even when I think I have prepared myself for every possible scenario.  
The devising of "mischiefs" is the employment of the imagination to cause trouble.  It is '
Psalms 58:3, "The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies."
Please note childhood association. This is the "habitual" or pathological liar, who was not taught that lying is wrong in early childhood.  Without instruction, as they speak, the lying begins.  It is very dangerous to listen to a child lie who is not corrected.  I am thankful for early correction, both from parents and from school teachers.  Today, teachers fear "judging" a child who lies, or "not enhancing his self esteem" by pointing out the lie. The liar's future is bleak.  
Psalms 59:12, "For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak."
Another way of saying this:  Let the liar talk.  He will hang himself on his own rope.  The "pride" of the liar is sometimes seen in the insistence of taking a polygraph knowing that lies will be told.  
Psalms 62:3-4, "… ye shall be slain all of you…they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly."
This is the end of the deceiver who flatters falsely.  They also "enjoy" it, playing the role of outward good guy while inwardly delighting in deception
Psalms 63:11, "...the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped."
I hope this blog has assisted in this very thing. 
Psalms 101:7, "He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight."
Psalms 109:2, "For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue."
Psalms 119:29, "Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously."
This indicates that lying as a "way" about it; a walk, a norm, a pattern, something that Avinoam Sapir brilliantly documented.  
Psalms 119:69, "The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart."  Pride and deception are linked often, as it is, at times, pride that will not accept the truth, especially where the truth humbles us.  
Psalms 119:163, "I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love."
Lying and hating the law are linked. Think of the 10 Commandments and how lying is antagonistic to the commandments.  
"Thou shalt not steal..." as theft often involves deception. 
"Thou shalt not commit adultery" which presupposes the constant maintenance of deception towards the injured spouse.  
"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy..." and the "forgetting" which is not good for body or soul, is a form of deception. 
On it goes...Even one who "bears the Name in vain" is lying about the Character of God and his own ways in life. 
Psalms 120:2, "Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue."
Needing deliverance presupposes traps, troubles and the call for help!  Learning Statement Analysis is a great step.  
Proverbs 6:16-19, "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."
Proverbs 8:7, "For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips."
When truth is absent, wickedness prevails. 
Proverbs 10:18, "He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool."
Proverbs 12:19, "The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment."
Proverbs 12:22, "Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight."
Proverbs 13:5, "A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame."
Proverbs 14:5, "A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies."
Proverbs 14:25, "A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful witness speaketh lies."
Proverbs 17:4, "A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips; and a liar giveth ear to a naughty tongue."
Question:  who does a liar like to hang around with?  The ones must "give heed", that is, give them the time to be close enough to influence.  
Proverbs 17:7, "Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince."
Proverbs 19:5, "A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape."
Some people like to call this "karma" while others say, "what goes around comes around" or something similar, but there is a general recognition that the truth will, eventually, come out and that living with a lie is like the "Telltale heart" that beats beneath the floorboards, driving the subject slowly into madness from the guilt. 
Proverbs 19:9, "A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish."
Proverbs 19:22, "The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar."
People love to give money to the rich.  
Seriously. 
When a celebrity walks into a bar, people offer to buy them drinks. Car dealerships want them to have their car at a discount or free.  Those who can afford the most may, at times, be given the most freebees out there
A friend of mine met Robin Williams in a bar in New York City, when Williams was first becoming famous.  My friend bought him a drink, and then another, and then another.  He said that he never saw someone put away alcohol the way Robin Williams did and he went through a fortune of martinees, Williams' drink of preference.  He was a lower middle class young guy starting out, spending money he did not have, on a celebrity who could not only afford to buy everyone drinks, but who should not have been drinking this insane amount of alcohol my friend described.  He said that he was unable to stand up while Williams was speaking "100 miles per hour" and was "the funniest man I have ever met in my life."  
It's sad to recall this story now.  
Proverbs 21:6, "The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death."
Better the company of the poor, than a rich liar.  Better to earn your wages honestly and sleep at night, than to be wealthy and live life waiting to be caught, only getting worse with age. 
Proverbs 26:28, "A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin."
The words here sound "loving" and can even sound affectionate, but the ultimate end is to destroy, via manipulation employing lies and flattery to have one's way over what is best. 
Proverbs 29:12, "If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked."
Honest rulers surround themselves with honest workers, so that when a dishonest one arises, the dishonest is ostracized and hopefully, removed.  The dishonest, lying ruler (boss, official, etc) will seek those like himself.  Liars like to surround themselves with liars, when they have the authority to do so.  Liars think everyone is a liar. 
Proverbs 30:8, "Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:"
If I am given too little, I might steal.  If I am given too much, I might forget Him.  This is said elsewhere.  What is needed is the removal of two things;
1 . vanity
2.  lies
The vanity is the things that pass away, yet here it is in context of lying. Things come and go.  The empty lies do not produce, but consume.  

10 comments:

Katprint said...

OFF TOPIC: http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/christopher-brandon-lee-alleged-lover-of-erin-crowin-missing-marine-s-wife-arrested-1.9087664

"Christopher Brandon Lee, alleged lover of Erin Crowin, missing Marine's wife, arrested
...
The body of the missing, pregnant wife of a U.S. Marine has been found deep in an abandoned mine shaft in Southern California, where her husband had been stationed, and Alaskan authorities have arrested her alleged lover on suspicion of homicide.

The remains of 20-year-old Erin Corwin were found Saturday 140 feet down an abandoned mine shift on federal land near Twentynine Palms after authorities spent nearly two months searching 300 square miles in the remote area east of Los Angeles, San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon said.

Her remains were identified Sunday through dental records, he said."

Katprint UNSOCIAL CATTURD!!! said...

Stop ignoring,u evil. TERMITE FACED DICK FACE!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to bait click for revenue. Trying to profit off of Robin Williams death. Nice.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes, maybe oftentimes, kids lie out of fear of consequences. It's easier to lie to mom/dad, than face the consequences. For me, I have found that rewarding my kids for telling the truth when it's hard, works. Even if they have something unpleasant to tell me, I try to keep calm and not overreact. If they've admitted to something they've done wrong, they get a smile from me. ------ As for all the scripture you posted, thank you. Lying is not a virtue and does lead to bad things. My favorite scripture regarding the importance of people's words is Jesus' words : "Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." People do say what's in their hearts. Their words and how they say things tell you what's in their hearts. Sometimes I ponder this scripture as someone is speaking to get an idea of what's in their heart. It's been very helpful and insightful.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize the Lord had so much to say about lies. I will have to reread this, I am hoping to share a link with a witness statement to the shooting in Ferguson. I only listened once, but she continually changes the tense, and I immediately thought she didn't really see the shooting.

What say you?
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/michael-brown-shooting-witness-releases-video

Argus said...

Hello Peter,

What a great post. I've been following your feeds for a really long time. I am so interested and fascinated by Statement Analysis, and always wanted and still want to learn it. There were no sources of knowledge I could put my hands on, until I found your blog, and I learned a lot of principles I probably wouldn't have learned from a book ( I used to write every new principle you introduce, it's meaning, and some examples on a Note Pad, and created a little procedure to not miss anything during analysis ) Now when you analyze a statement, I do so before seeing the emphasis, and I get over 90% of the analysis right.

One little question, that's the only problem I have. How can I make someone enter the Free Editing Process outside the context of an interrogation or an interview ? Beacause during an interview, it's rather easy to do so, but how can I do it on a day to day social encounter ? Like talking to a friend, a brother a girlfriend or even someone " above me " as far as hierarchy is concerned like a boss... The only way would be to ask questions, but it's hard to ask question without introducing new language, I need an expert's advice. I really hope you do answer this.

PS: You actually look handsome
PPS: I was going to remove the " Actually " from the last PS since I forgot who I was talking to....

Argus said...

Plus i love"Facebook" and its"insights"xxx

Anonymous said...

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/423/349/851/?z00m=21401890

for all those wishing to keep military equipment with military and not handed out to local police.

a sign petition to sign.

Anonymous said...

https://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-says-beheads-u-journalist-holds-another-002707463.html

They are waiting on a response from our president. So am I.

ISIS says the beheading is in retaliation for our involvement in Iraq.

My condolences to Foley's family. What a horrible way to die.

"Today your military air force is attacking us daily in Iraq. Your strikes have caused casualties amongst Muslims. You are no longer fighting an insurgency. We are an Islamic army, and a state that has been accepted by a large number of Muslims worldwide."

Really?? do other Islamic nations recognize ISIS now has their own state? Well, they should all go there right now! Yes, get them all in one place.

Where is the reaction from Muslim leaders? Saudi's don't say anything. None of the Muslim countries denounce the killing of innocent people.

Anonymous said...

"...accepted by a large number of muslims worldwide " Bullshit. I'm a Muslim, and ALL the Muslims that I know of DESPISE those groups in Iraq that reinforce day in and day out the "Muslim Stereotype". I'm all for the airstrikes. The crimes they do are just barbaric. My sincere condolences to Foley's family