Friday, October 24, 2014

Reporting That Which One Did Not See

We have covered this topic before:

When one reports what one did not see nor hear, it is to be flagged for deception.  We have seen many such examples, but today we have a twist.

Truthful people report what they did see and what they did hear.  When someone offers, in an open statement, what they did not see or hear, it is often an indication of deception.

"I didn't see anyone run across my driveway."

This often comes out when one is using many sentences in order to persuade, rather than truthfully report.  The above now introduces the topic of some individual, running, and across the caller's driveway.  (this ended up being a guilty caller in a false robbery claim)

A reader here had the occasion to call 911 and said, "I think I just reported what I did not see!  I am not deceptive."

Here is the call:

911:  What is your emergency?

Caller:  "There is a car broken down on the side of Interstate 41, on the southbound lane, near exit 41."

911:  Was anybody hurt?

Caller:  "I didn't see any people."

You will notice two important things:

1.  The caller did not offer what she did not see in an open statement; it was in response to a question.
2.  The caller did not enter the language of the 911 operator.  The 911 operator said "anybody", but the caller said, "people."

What caused the change in language?

I questioned the caller who revealed that she is a caring person and gets upset when she sees anyone hurt.  She knew, early in life, she could never be a nurse.

For her, "anybody" is "people", and it is "people" that get injured.

There is a justification for her change of language; she was upset and concerned, even about not seeing anyone, as she was driving by quickly, and was concerned about possible injury.  She even has the tendency to want to turn away, for fear of seeing someone injured.

Truthful people report what they have seen and heard.  Deceptive people will add what they did not see nor hear, if it propagates the deception.

Yet, when asked a direct question, such as "Did you see anyone run across your driveway?", the response would be appropriate.  In the above case, the deceptive caller, nervous about the ruse, offered it without being asked, and was deceptive.

9 comments:

John Mc Gowan said...

It's amazing how may times i have read (especially in chat rooms on FB) and overheard this type of language/deception and chuckled to myself. Simple, but very telling.

Thank You for another lesson Peter.

John Mc Gowan said...

Also, the book you recommended.

"Statement Analysis"

An ISS Course Workbook"

By Steven Varnell. Is a very good read. A little short on content, but good all the same. :)

Anonymous said...

TLC has canceled the series "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and ended all activities around the series, effective immediately. Supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority. TLC is faithfully committed to the children's ongoing comfort and well being.



According to the TMZ, the network has already shot an entire season of new episodes, but will not air them due to the allegations, as they believe that Shannon is putting her children at risk.

On Thursday, Shannon denied reports she was dating McDaniel via her daughter Alana Thompson's Facebook page, writing that her children are her first priority and she that she left McDaniel 10 years ago.

"I want to make a post trying to clear up the rumors remember you can't believe everything you read!" she wrote. "Ppl sell stories to the tabloid everyday that r false! It isnt true i promise my kids r #1 priority over anything else and I would never put them in danger period over this or anything else they r my life this is my past I left him 10 yrs ago for it and I wouldn't go back."

--Vicki

Anonymous said...

Video of June talking about the show's cancellation and again denying her relationship with the sex offender:

http://www.people.com/article/honey-boo-boo-canceled-tlc

Tania Cadogan said...

I read about this and i automatically thought the paedophile was interested because of the pageants.

Tania Cadogan said...

Quote from the mom of Alanna thomson (honey boo boo)

“I would not ever ever ever put my kids in danger," she said in the video post.

Oh dear. such a weak statement.
ever is repeated three times making it very sensitive to her.

I don't buy her denial.

Statement Analysis Blog said...

Hobs got it right again..

Statement Analysis Blog said...

John,

although my kindle book is not a text book, it is about 300 pages and has lots of 'behind the scenes' things that people have asked about and I think enough time has passed to be able to share the info...
Peter

Sus said...

Thanks, Peter. I forget about this one and need to watch for it.

John, I also read the book recommended by Peter. It was short, but a great reference book. I find myself referring back to it.