Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Golfer Robert Allenby Says He Was Kidnapped


Robert Allenby says police still investigating Hawaii kidnap claim

Golfer Robert Allenby says police are continuing to investigate his claim that he was kidnapped, robbed, beaten and dumped in a park in Hawaii.
The Australian reported that he had been abducted from a wine bar on 17 January after missing the cut at the Sony Open in Honolulu the previous day.
Allenby, 43, says he cannot remember a two-and-a-half-hour period from the night when he suffered facial injuries.
But he said: "There has definitely been a lot of confusion. But I think the No. 1 thing that you should all remember is that my story stays exactly the same as the way I told it. I told you what I knew, and I told you what someone told me. That's the bottom line. I never lied to anyone."

note he calls it his "story" and does not say "I told the truth" but refers to it not changing.  The word "never" is not a substitute for "did not."
Allenby has said that a homeless woman spotted him being dumped from a car several miles away from his alleged abduction.

"I was a victim, and all of a sudden you're putting all the blame on me," Allenby said. "I take full responsibility if I did do something wrong. ... At the end of the day, I was in a place having a nice dinner and having a nice night, and then I became a victim. And now, it's all been turned around.
"The police will come out with the right story."
However, US press reports later claimed the woman had given conflicting details, saying she found Allenby just one block away from the bar he had been drinking in.
"From about 23:06 to about 01:27, I have no memory in my brain. I have nothing.
"I can't tell you how frustrating that is because we all want to know the truth, we all want to get to the bottom of it.
"But there's no way in the world what I drank could do what was done to me, not a chance in the world."

The press reported that he denied being drunk.  He does not say that, however. 

"Mentally, I'm preparing myself for probably one of the toughest weeks of my life," Allenby said. "It hasn't been an easy week last week, and it wasn't an easy decision to come to this tournament. But I thought that I need to get my life back on track. I'm a professional golfer. And why should I let controversy put me out of the game that I love?"

Note it is not a kidnapping nor assault that he does not allow to keep him out of the game he loves, it is "controversy" he addresses. 

We look for someone to linguistically link to an event.  He does not.  This is sometimes the case when someone has been involved in errant behavior and wants to make an excuse.  Something happened; no doubt, but alcohol is involved and his account is not clear.  This may be due to alcohol.

Alcohol blackouts are often not recoverable, whereas some drug blackouts seem to be.  

He was involved in something, but his own account was contradicted by eye witnesses who reported seeing him while he was alleged to have been in the back of a car.  Some confrontation is obvious from the marks on his face.  

Did he get involved with some unsavory characters?  Robbery + exxageration is possible. 


6 comments:

John Mc Gowan said...

Thank you Peter for covering this.

This is what i picked out early on in his "story"


'I didn't think I was going to survive': Australian golfer Robert Allenby tells of terrifying ordeal after he is 'drugged', kidnapped from bar, robbed and dumped in a park... before being rescued by a homeless woman and a retired soldier

Snipped:

'I didn't think I was going to survive this one,' Allenby told AAP.

Has this happened before ? What is he comparing it to ?

'I was separated from my friend in the bar after we had paid the tab at 10:48pm and he went to the bathroom and next thing you know I'm being dumped in a park miles away.

and next thing you know

Skip in time. This maybe due to the report of him being "Drugged" and his memory loss ?

"and next thing you know"

This for me was the major red flag.

Here he uses the second person "You" to describe what happened. This is not universal to us all and is distancing language. It maybe also that he wants to distance himself from the event. Given this doesn't happen to everyone, i would expect him to take ownership with the first person singular "I"


'I only know this part because a homeless woman found me and told me she saw a few guys pull up and throw me out of the car. That is where I got the scrapes above my eye from the sidewalk.'


Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2915058/Australian-golfer-Robert-Allenby-kidnapped-wine-bar-beaten-robbed-left-park-Hawaii.html#ixzz3PB2GfXvY

From another article.

Snipped:

"You think ... that happens in the movie, not real life," Allenby told The Associated Press by phone Sunday. "I'm just happy to be alive."

"I did ask to get a blood test, but they said it was probably out of your system," he said.

Allenby said surveillance cameras showed his friend Anthony Puntoriero talking to someone in the bar.

"I think that was a decoy, a distraction," Allenby said. "I went to the bathroom, came out of the bathroom and was told that Anthony had left and was downstairs waiting for me. I go downstairs , bang! They knock me out and take me six or seven miles away."

He said the tape showed one man put a hand on Allenby's shoulder.

"I seriously don't even remember meeting these people," he said. "That's what is weird. All I know is that I was walking very quietly with them and normal. It didn't make any sense at all."

"I'm still shaking, still scared," he said. "It's just so surreal, just amazing. How does that happen to me? I went from one area where I could have died to another area where I got dumped and homeless people are trying to mug me even more. Sometimes we're all naive. We only think this happens in the movies."

http://www.cleveland.com/golf/index.ssf/2015/01/australian_golfer_robert_allen_1.html

Anonymous said...

What is the motivation for this story? What is he trying to cover up? Or, is it an attention getting thing? Not really getting it.

floridamomma said...

He claimed initially the FBI was involved, yet they denied it. Hard to cross the Hawai'i state line in order to get them involved!

Karen T said...

Is it possible that his drink WAS spiked and then he went outside & passed out, hitting his head & scraping his forehead and while he was passed out his brain was doing all sorts of bizarre dreams & hallucinations that he believes are real so to him they are? Then while passed out on the sidewalk someone did steal his wallet, credit card, etc?

I a person is drugged or drunk does SA still apply to their somewhat shaky experiential memory?

Anonymous said...

If he blacked out from drinking (and wasn't drugged by someone else), or even if he didn't black out and is totally lying about everything, that could be motivation. He probably wouldn't want people thinking that of his character.

Anne of Port Charlotte said...

Now, don't this sound just like a big concocted story a husband makes up for his wife? This is an errant husband of many lies. Ha.... it's his wife he played this game for; it's HER he's trying to convince. Idiot.

Many times and lies and excuses later, he has to come up with another good one to convince her ONE MORE TIME that this was all someone elses' fault, not his.

A good one.... However, this time it's too good, he's caught with his britches down (so to speak) now that his lies have caught media attention. Ha ha.. serves 'im right, the dumb ass.