There is an important principle here in the sarcasm...that is, the one who scored the winning touchdown doesn't remember it as if he was the one sitting on the bench. The commonality in the liar is grandiose thinking, which comes out in speech. Each of Williams' lies were to his own benefit. He did not lie about an actual accomplishment of his, 'mis-remembering' himself 'outside' of the event.
Senility: When a person with dementia, or a similar disorder, or even an elderly person who's memory is impacted gives a false statement, the language will not show deception unless the person knows he is being deceitful.
Deceit in language is seen in intent. It is when one wishes to deceive, either through the deliberate suppression of information, or in the actual fabrication of information, there are often signals in the language.
Lie Detection is no "magic bullet", as portrayed on television, or by those who claim to simply look at someone's face expression and "know."
The detecting of deception is not only principled work, but it takes diligent practice, and constant repetition as the brain learns to "listen" to the speech of others, after a lifetime of 'dulled listening' or "interpretive" listening.
The subject matter (content) is not a technique in lie detection as sometimes the seemingly impossible takes place. Where Brian Williams said he reached in and felt a cuddly unknown, which turned out to be "two eyes" of a "three week old puppy", I do not believe to be true. His firehouse may have had three doors, three engines and thirty men, but the three week old puppy story is something I choose not to believe, but it is based upon experience, and not Statement Analysis. The statement is too short, but I also believe that asking Williams about it, focusing in questions to the areas of either question, or sensitivity, will reveal deception. He is the "less than 10%" type of liar. This does not mean that he will always deceive in this manner. In fact, we should expect to hear of many more "heroic" fabrications from him, and in his language, we should expect that the high majority of his method of deception will be editing out information and not direct lies.
I write often of the 90% effect, and this is the rare exception where, perhaps, only one in ten deceptive individuals will go as far as Williams. We saw the same thing, in topic, with the politician, Richard Blumenthal, who claimed to have actually been in Viet Nam, or in Hillary Clinton's statements of "claim", that is, having done something, or been somewhere, falsely. This is not suppressed information, though I expect to find much in this manner, but outright falsehood.
It is a very strong signal that the subject is a habitual or "pathological" liar, who will always trump himself or herself up, even when not challenged. Personality wise, they appear to be "unable to turn it off."
These types can be conservative, liberal, or independent, but are almost always narcissistic, self-interested, and can be ruthless, without true empathy towards what impact others face from their lies.
When one is incorrect, he is not deceptive and his language will not show it. It is that in 90% + of deceivers, the language will reveal it. "Playing the odds" is always helpful, but never without an open mind to consider, "Is this person lying to me?"
A smirk of the face may convince one that he is being lied to, only to learn that the liar has a sinus condition.
Statement Analysis is a science that is applied, evenly across the board, yielding a very high percentage of accuracy.
Please remember always; Where there is "70% likely", the other "30%" exists, just as here, in Williams' case, the "less than 10%" does, from time to time, come up. When it does, know the manner of person you are looking at.
This person, statistically, will bring harm, sometimes irreparable harm, to any and everyone, in his path, and although may appear to be remorseful, the actual words his brain chooses in his "mea culpa", will be consistent with his lies:
To protect himself.
This is why famous people do better in their apology making, when they have someone else prepare the statement for them. Fortunately for truth seekers, the narcissist sometimes will "over rule" the counsel of others, and insist on certain wording and...
it gives them away.
Interesting article from the NY Post. Media is competition. The competition smells weakness of its prey.