Friday, November 4, 2016

The Value of Certification in Analysis


In formal training, we offer certification in Statement Analysis for those who fulfill the following:

                           Statement Analyst I

Successful completion of the Statement Analysis course, including tests and final exam;
A minimum of 60 hours of post course live training;  These hours are eligible for CEUs from the University of Maine's Continuing Educational Units for professional licenses.  
Recommendation of 2 professional investigative analysts. 

This certification is only worth what we, the analysts and investigators, declare it to be by our results.  Certification is a public statement that the person is certified to work professional in detecting deception and is likely to run at or near 100% accuracy and is useful for their resume and career advancement as they accurately discern deception from truth.   

When one is enrolled in training, they automatically receive 12 months of ongoing support meaning that, in all practicality, they are  most likely to never submit an errant report.  To teach the basics of analysis and leave the investigator on his own is, as an analysis  instructor and deception detection expert  said, like having one perform surgery on you who just learned how to use his knife.  


What is the value of certification in detecting deception?

The value is in our work, and this puts "interest" into the assistance of others.  Analysts know the hard work put into reaching this point, and value the support they give each other.  They have a most vested motive in supporting each other, as a reputation is established over the certification.  

The Statement Analyst II certification is in advanced techniques, content analysis, and in psycho-linguistic profiling which identifies anonymous authors, assesses threat levels and prepares the strategy towards the confession.  

This takes a minimum of 2 years commitment including 120 hours of live training, completion of all work, and a thesis paper approved by three professionals. 

Ongoing Support

The exciting element for law enforcement, in particular, is the immediate application of work.  

The new student can (and does) immediately apply his knowledge and receives support in his work, beginning with his first investigation.  

Upon being assigned, he now seeks a statement from the subject before the interview.  

Therefore, in an assault case, rather than interview the victim and alleged perpetrator, he has each write out a statement and goes to work on analyzing it. 

With the support given him, he will know the truth before he interviews both, and will know precisely where to aim his questions. 

Knowing "who done it" before the interview is to fill the investigator with resolve to the point that he is going to get the information he needs.  

The success is exhilarating and...

it never gets old.  

The online training sells itself and we often warn new analysts that it is addicting.  Once entered, an investigator or analyst may consider it ongoing in life, as analysis can be as complex as human nature itself.  It is here that we work on actual cases of investigators as well as requests from departments from around the nation.  

Who seeks outside assistance in an investigation?

This is an interesting question. 

Sometimes, law enforcement can get a bad reputation for being unwilling to seek assistance, or help other law enforcement agencies.  It is something that is often magnified by Hollywood and, like anything else in large quantity, can happen, but it is not the norm.

An investigation is a quest, with a competitive drive beneath it, to "win."  To "win" or obtain victory, is to obtain justice. It is to:

Know when someone is lying. 

Know how to interview the liar. 

Know how to obtain an admission or confession. 

Know how to present this to a prosecutor for justice. 

Know how to properly testify in court. 

Those who seek assistance are those who are strong.  They see the cause of justice and will seek assistance for the fulfillment of this purpose.  

There are those who, in training, lack a filter in a most specific area:  the area of questions. 

We often hear the phrase "he lacks a filter" meaning that one may lack self awareness or emotional intelligence, but it is in the realm of asking questions that the "lack of filter" is so useful. 

This is the investigator who wants an answer more than he wants to appear smart.  This is why it is a strength.  

When a captain or chief seeks assistance on a case, he knows who to assign such a case to.  It cannot go to one who's competitiveness is a weakness, rather than a strength.  It goes to one who's drive for justice is such that he feels no territorial boundary, and is often the investigator, himself or herself, that his willing to assist others.  The strength comes from the humility:  no one knows all. 

With analysis, it is routine that any work is checked by at least one other professional.  

When submitting a final report to an investigator, I get at least one other analyst to review my work, because, what matters is justice.  

But there is more. 

When time is not a pressing issue, I like to submit my work for close up scrutiny by other professionals.  A classroom setting, or team analysis is a perfect setting for this.  By allowing trained investigators and analysts to not only review point by point, but to scrutinize the conclusion, allows for growth.  

This becomes the norm for analysts.  It presupposes strength and humility:  the very same traits that brought him or her into training in the first place.

As the analyst grows in his or her success, they by nature of the even flow within overseeing and supporting each others' work, volunteer to help others. 

As fellow investigators see the growing track record of success, they naturally seek out help because they, too, want to be successful.  

To host a training seminar, or to personally take upon yourself training in deception detection, visit Hyatt Analysis Services.  We offer tuition payment plans and discounts for law enforcement.  

The complete Statement Analysis course is not a "101" or introductory course, and it is challenging.  It is the prerequisite for the Advanced Course.  Those who have had SCAN or other solid training often enter in with a strong foundation and do well in this course and by the time they begin the Advanced Course, they are ready for profiling and anonymous author identification.  Reaching this far into the science, they find lie detection rather simple, in most cases, and are ready to learn the specifics within sexual assault cases. 

Sex crimes analysis is something that must go beyond "101" training, lest error will enter.  Yet, without a solid foundation, the elements in advanced work will not be present.  

'Line upon line; precept upon precept', we move from basic, to advanced, yet finding success along the way.  

The value of certification is found in the quality of the work. 

As long as analysts are willing to subject their work to healthy scientific scrutiny, expect the value to increase.  

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter

Can you tell, based on the statements made by this girl, if she is lying intentionally or if she actually believes her altered sense of reality?

-KC

http://www.drphil.com/videos/teen-says-shes-pregnant-with-baby-jesus/

Anonymous said...

Anon, what is your opinion? I watched that episode, and I tend to think she doesnt really believe what she is saying. I would love to hear Peter's opinion also, because Im not sure. I kinda think that it is some weird dynamic the mother helped create. The mother is a liar also, as SA told me the mother was lying about not having done meth while pregnant with the liar sister. I think maybe the liar sister feels angry/damaged from knowing the mother did meth while pregnant with her, and all of her lying is like revenge against the mother. The pretend Jesus pregnancy maybe is her unconscious way of trying to feel special or chosen, as the lying girl stated her brother was born so sick (maybe from the mother using meth) that the lying girl feels she was conceived/born for the possibility that she would be able to give a kidney to the sick brother. So she feels worthless/meaningless/objectified, so if she is pregnant with Jesus that makes her whole and blessed rather than just conceived to donate a kidney to the sick brother.

Anonymous said...

Peter - there is no single transcription page (at least that I found) so it is a bit choppy, but I posted all of the links for verification or if you just want to watch the videos.

“I am pregnant, and it is Jesus,” says 19-year-old Haley.

The teen claims that she is 9 months pregnant and about to deliver a baby boy.

“I know my pregnancy is real. I’ve gained at least 22 pounds,” says Haley. “I was sleeping one night and my baby punched the bottom of my stomach and kicked me, and I can feel his head right here, right below my belly button.”

“My family, my friends, my pastors at church, they don’t believe that I’m pregnant,” Haley says. “I know it’s Jesus. I don’t care if my family disowns me. It really comes down to if you’re a true believer in Jesus or not … I don’t care what the home pregnancy test or a doctor says, when I give birth to my baby, no one is going to deny him because he’s my savior.”



Nineteen-year-old Haley claims that when she was in rehab, a doctor diagnosed her with paranoid schizophrenia. She says that her first reaction was to say, “I’m not crazy,” but she says once she looked up the symptoms, she could relate.
“I finally had to come to terms with myself that I did have these things and I started noticing things like I cannot walk into a room without having to check everywhere – the closets, underneath the bed, in the bathroom and stuff like that -- without thinking somebody’s in there,” she says to Dr. Phil on Wednesday’s episode. “It’s all the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia.”
However, Dr. Phil says that he has examined her medical records and there was no such diagnosis. “I’m not saying it’s wrong; I’m just saying it’s not written down,” he tells Haley.

...

Amyl Nitrite said...

Who was reading Dostoyevsky during Statement Analysis class? No Dostoyevsky while learning SA!!!

Anonymous said...

... con't...

Dr. Phil: Have you been on American Idol?

Haley:
I was invited to it and I had this guy come up to me, I think I was drinking, at a party, and he was like 'you were on American Idol, weren't you?' And he showed me this video, and it looked just like me, and I was like 'I probably was.' Like, I don't really know. And so this guy went around saying, 'Haley's on American Idol. Haley's on American Idol' and I was like, yeah, OK, that's not really true but I have a bunch of rumors about me, so.

DP: Well, have you told people you were on American Idol?

H: I have not told people I was on American Idol.

DP: Did you tell people you were on American Idol?

H: I didn't tell anybody I was on American Idol. There was this guy that just went around saying that I was on American Idol and he showed me this video like I said.

DP: And you said 'maybe I was'

H: No I didn't say - [interrupted by DP]

DP: well just now you said 'yeah, like, maybe I was.'

H: It looked like me. Like, maybe I could've been somewhere where they were videotaping, like- [interrupted]

Sister: How do you forget if you've done American Idol?

H: I've done Karaoke and what not, but, I mean, it looked like me- [interrupted]

DP: well, either you were on American Idol or you weren't

H: It looked like me on a video singing into a microphone, so anybody can do anything with that video

-KC

Anonymous said...

TO Anon @ 5:24 PM

I am not sure. On one hand, it is obvious she is telling lies. On the other, I am wondering if she is having some sort of physical or psychological issue. I know some people can lie so much that they start to believe the lies, and then they cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction in their world...

-KC

Hey Jude said...

That is a great photograph.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Phil: Did you tell people that Eminem is your father?

Haley: Yes, I did, actually. Yeah, I did.

DP: Is he your father?

H: I am not sure. My mom has pictures of a guy that looks just like Eminem. Like, I'm not even kidding. Looks just like him and I’m sitting on his lap and everything.

DP: Don't you think that is something that would be kind of crazy - kind of noteworthy?

H: I mean kids, everybody has kids all the time.

DP: How would your mother have met -

H: Are you kidding? Well, lets see, I've met, I've met quite a few famous people in my life. I've dated, do you know Harding University? I dated their quarterback.

DP: Do you think that if Eminem was your father, that woudl have had some contact with him - [interrupted]

H: I did try to contact him actually. Through my Instagram, I tried to contact him, you know, looking up his number, like a private number, to call him or like a secretary or something like that and I never got a call back or an answer back or anything like that and I was trying to get a DNA test from him.

DP: Are you maybe saying this because he does have a daughter named Hailie?

H: yeah, yeah. He has Hailie, so like, I checked that out, too. I mean, its my baby picture, like that's me. You know, like you compare photos of me. That's me when I was little and it looks just like Eminem and I found it on his page, on Eminem's page.

DP: well but that's not you. That's his daughter, Hailie.

H: Exactly. exactly.

DP: That's a different human being. That's not you. Are you suggesting that he has 2 daughters named Hailie?

H: Who knows how many daughters he has.

DP: named Hailie?

H: well, not named Hailie probably. I don't know. I just, oh my gosh. Look, it looks like me. I have pictures of this dude in my mom's little notebook collection that she keeps in the closet that she never lets me look at.

DP: [shows baby photo of Eminem's daughter, Hailie] This is his daughter, Hailie.

H: Yes, it is! Oh my gosh! it looks just like my friend. What's her name.

DP: I don't know, but it doesn't look like you.

H: I know, it doesn't. Its weird because I had the same haircut in middle school. But I didn't look anything like that.

DP: That's not you. That's his daughter, Hailie.

H: Well, he may have another daughter he doesn't know about.

...cont...



Anonymous said...

I think she knows she's lying, but refuses to admit it and semi-justifies it, semi-backtracks. She's pathological and majorly attention seeking. I'm not seeing schizophrenia in these details but not a psychiatrist.

What's her emotional affect when she's challenged? Angry or just defensive/rationalizing?

Anonymous said...

I think she knows she's lying, but I think she has some problems with reality testing, and I kind of get why. It sounds like the situation surrounding visiting her Dad didnt feel real to her, and she didnt feel a connection with him and eventually came to suspect he wasnt really her Dad.. Even if the mother did get a DNA test done to prove the guy was her Dad, I dont think this helped bc the damage had already been done from the situation with visiting the "Dad" feeling unreal as well as her feeling it was not "real" that he was actually her Dad. It sounds like it was a frightening situation for her to feel things with the Dad were "unreal".

Anonymous said...

And I think bc of the Dad unreal feelings, she does not have the best grasp on what is true/untrue, real/unreal. Not to a delusional level, but morr like a fantasy level like if she believes something hard enough maybe it will become real.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like her foundation for what was real was shaken badly bc of the Dad situation and it prob makes her feel worse that she dropped out of school in Grade 10 so she may feel doubtful about WHO she is...like she doesnt have that stable foundation of being a high school graduate....more like she is in a murky unclear situation of being a "dropout"...that would make me feel a nagging sense of "what am I?"