Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Murder of Ana Kriegel: Boy A





Ana Kriegel, 14,  was found murdered in 2018 after she went for a walk with two boys known to her.  The following are two statements made by the boys (13) and read in court. 

Statement Analysis is the study of words for the purpose of discerning deception from truth.  

Can we know if guilty knowledge is indicated by their words? 

First is the analysis of Boy A 

hat tip: Paul


Statement of Boy A:

One of my best friends is Boy B. He’s in the same class as me. I recall yesterday I finished school at 3.45pm and walked home from school with Boy B.

In making this statement, the subject began without the pronoun "I", but with another subject, Boy B.  

We also note that he reports what he "recalls", even though it was only "yesterday" in a case that is shocking (hormonally consequential) for a friend of the victim.  

One might consider if this subject is willing to blame his friend, Boy B, as we note that this is where he began his statement (priority) and he does not begin with the psychological presence represented by the pronoun "I" in his statement. 

We do not, however, know what wording the investigator used to prompt this statement. 



When I got home my mum, dad and sister were already there. I got changed and had a cup of tea then I went out. 

Note the pace of his statement with minor, unnecessary detail of changing and tea. 

He began his statement with being in the same class as the other boy and used the time 3:45pm.  


I called over to Boy B’s house but he was doing some chores so I arranged to meet him in park when he was finished.

I was in the park for maybe a few minutes when Boy B came in. Ana Kriégel was with him when he came in.

His friend was reported missing and found murdered.  Here he uses her full name, rather than "Ana." 

With Ana entering the statement, the first thing he tells us after her arrival is in the negative:

I don’t know her that well. 

He changed, had tea and doesn't know her that well.  This is not what one would expect from a shocked innocent boy who has heard frightening news about his friend of whom he went to the park with. This might be something an innocent may say, perhaps, years later in discussing the case.  

He now presses the point of not knowing her: 


It was the first time I was in the park with her.

The investigator/analyst should now question why the subject wishes to convey, in this time with police, that he does not know her "well" and that in the park (location) it was the "first time."

We should question, "Where was the first time that was not in the park?"


By telling us in the negative, and by using the word "with" between himself ("I") and the victim, he is psychologically distancing himself from Ana. 



We were walking very slowly. I was talking to Boy B, I remember talking about video games. 

He slows down the pace with a specific detail of walking slowly and then signals that he is concealing information by unnecessarily using the word "remember" in the context of the murder having just taken place a short time ago. 

His use of "remember" is about "talking" and "video games." This is an unnecessary detail found in an unnecessary use of recall. 

It is another indication that they (he and Boy B) were talking about something else besides video games.  The word "we" preceding it may be not the three of them, but in context, (talking to Boy B), he and Boy B being in unity at this point. 

This should cause us to consider possible premeditation should guilty knowledge of Ana's death be indicated within the statements. 

He now affirms the context that "we" was not the three of them ("we" indicates unity/cooperation) by reporting, again in the negative, what he was not doing: 

I wasn’t really talking to Ana. 


"really" here should cause the investigator to ask about this very important conversation.  By qualifying it, Ana was likely in, or meant to overhear, some of what was contained in the conversation.  


She was on her phone a good bit, not talking but using it.

At one stage Ana said to me “I have something to ask you, I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me”. I was surprised. It came out of nowhere. I did have an idea she liked me because she did kind of ask me out [previously].

While speaking to police about Ana, he includes his emotional reaction to the words of Ana.  

This is vital information and insight into the subject's thinking.  To "go out with me" is to be in some form of romantic relationship.  He wants police to know this is not the first time she "kind of" asked him out.

The analyst should be, in context of what happened, on alert for victim blaming---

The analyst should be concerned about the possibility of sexual assault being preempted by the subject.  

*the psychological distancing from the statement;
*the priority of beginning with his friend
*the psychological distancing from the victim
*the psychological distance in communication 
*the repetition of asking him "out" increasing its importance to the subject. 

In familiar homicides, we look for:

1. The conversation that preceded it to enter the language 
2. The subtle shifting of blame to the victim 

An innocent 13 year old boy should be bewildered and speaking directly to his time in the park with the victim, wanting answers and to help.  

We should consider that this statement may have been rehearsed.  

"The Good Guy" in analysis. 

"The Good Guy" shows a need to be seen in a positive light, often belying guilt beneath the surface. 

Here, while with police, after the murder of a friend, he has a need to be portrayed (twice) as a good person: 

I thought about it for a few minutes because I was going to say “No” and wanted to do it without hurting her feelings. 

again: 

The first time she asked me out... I said “No” she stormed off and I was trying to be considerate.

I said I was sorry but I wasn’t interested in her. 

We always note "I am sorry" in a statement--we do not conclude guilt by it, yet we do find it in many guilty statements. 

I wonder if this is true:  he really did tell her he was sorry, but not here in the park.  Here is why: 



She didn’t answer. She said nothing. 


It is very difficult to lie outright---generally, the words come from somewhere that a skilled interviewer can locate. 

Did these words come from the memory of a fatal encounter between him and the victim?  This would have to be answered in the interview process.  It is also something that may come out long after the case is over. 



She stayed there for a few minutes and walked off. I could tell she wasn’t happy. She looked annoyed and sad at the same time. She walked off in the direction she had come from and said nothing to me or Boy B after I told her I wasn’t interested.

He repeat her saying "nothing" using the element of time: 

"after"--- 

He said "no" and here he "told" her he "wasn't interested." 

The additional details offered again suggests rehearsal (narrative building, see the editing in of his emotion as another example) 


Boy B was a little bit ahead of us. He might have heard the conversation but I can’t be sure. He was still in view, about five metres away from us. When she stormed off, me and Boy B kept walking on the way we had been going. I said to him “that was a bit random” and he said “yeah”. We walked further and he said he had to go.

He headed back in the same direction as Ana went. He said he had to go home for dinner.

Consider his opening statement again...


 I said nothing to Ana to upset her except for declining her. Boy B was not upset either. I walked on further away from their direction.

He then offers an unusual detail: 

I became aware of two men walking behind me. It didn’t feel right so I sped up. They also sped up. They caught up with me and one grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me to the ground and they started to kick me.

Instead of saying "two guys attacked me" he begins with passivity and staying in this ("passive voice" in analysis) psychological position, he includes his emotion (in the negative) indicative of artificial editing so soon after the event. When one enters a type of passive voice, it becomes difficult to exit it while in the story: 


I was winded from one of the kicks in the chest. I managed to get up and I kicked one in the head and they ran off.
The heavy lad was 5ft 8, stocky build like a rugby player. He was maybe 19/20 wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, white runners and a dark hoody. There was maybe white laces in the hoody. He had dark coloured hair, he may have had his ear pierced, which one I don’t know.

He gives unexpected detail -- but moves again to reporting what he "can't" do-- 


I can’t describe his face, roundish head. 

Do you notice the incongruence in his words? He reports what he "can't" do (negative) while giving a description of the alleged attacker's "head"? 



It was blurry for me. 


This is a good example of the passive voice in statement analysis--he is in it and remains passive. He does not say "I was blurry" or "my vision was blurry" but "it was blurry..."  

What was blurry? 

Our eyesight is very important to us  and is very personal.  Next take in an alleged attack, the same day a terrible tragedy has taken place to someone you were with the day before and the analyst will conclude that this subject is being deceptive

The incongruence continues. It is in situations like this that a judge or jury will sense the passivity but also hear the incongruence of words and think,

"this may not be coming from experiential memory." 

"it was blurry" yet: 

He had fringe across forehead. 

Now go back to how he began this event:

a. became aware of two men walking behind me. It didn’t feel right so I sped up.

b. Now consider that he is slowing down the pace of the statement, in a way of running out the clock or passing of time. 

What became of these two "men"?




Neither of them spoke.

He tells us what they did not do.  

It may be somewhat challenging to think that two Rugby like attackers said nothing to the victim nor each other, but we follow his language --

what became of the two "men"? 



The second lad was tall and skinny about 6ft 1 and looked about same age as other lad


The "men" are now "lads"-- 

Change of Language noted.  One is even larger than the other, while going from "men" to "lads." 

This is a "positive linguistic disposition" towards the two attackers. 

Might the real "lads" in his language be himself and Boy B, of whom he used "we"? 

"It was blurry" yet it continues: 


Same type of haircut, lighter in colour. He had a long face and a long nose and was wearing dark blue jacket and peak in a hood, was wearing light grey tracksuit bottoms and grey runners.
Neither were wearing gloves and both were wearing baggy track suits bottoms. 

The lengthy details all come while "it" was blurry.  



I went home and my leg was hurting and I walked slowly.
I got home at about 6pm. 

He "went" somewhere and in doing so, he "walked slowly"---this is his second use of walking "slowly"

He "got" home at about 6pm. 

Did you notice it is out of chronological order?

a. he went home
b. his leg was hurting 
c. he walked slowly
d. he got home 



He doubling down of this pathway suggests that he went somewhere else before he "got" home. 



I told my parents what had happened. My back is bruised, my leg were sore around my knees and had cut in left leg. My right leg is very painful, small bruising on my chest and my right arm which was previously hurt was damaged again, my lip was bleeding.
Nothing was stolen from me nor did they demand anything from me. 

Notice all the detail about himself, even as a boy (he is intelligent) yet so little about the victim? 


Ana was wearing a black hoody with black leggings.


Analysis Conclusion: Deception Indicated

He is deceptive about what happened that day. 

His priority is himself and not the victim. 

In spite of the circumstance, (context) he shows a positive linguistic disposition towards self, towards the alleged attackers and a negative linguistic disposition towards the victim, via the lack of empathy. 

He has the need to portray himself as the good person of his story, which when taken with the complete analysis, indicates the contrary.  

His use of time indicates missing information and his words, including the sequence, suggest rehearsal. 



*************************************************************


Next post will be the analysis of Boy B

Statement of Boy B:

I called to a girl called Ana Kriégel at the request of my friend Boy A. He had asked me to call to her and bring her to the park to meet with him there. He told me he wanted to sort out some relationship issues with her.
So I called and got Ana and we walked through the pedestrian entrance on to the park.
Ana was very chatty. Ana wanted to know why Boy A wanted to meet her and I told her I would tell her when we got there.
We met him at the overflow car park then, we walked towards the changing rooms. I stayed behind them so they could talk. I could not really hear what they were saying, but I could hear their voices.
I let them continue on walking. I know that Boy A wanted to be clear to her that she was not of interest to him.
I turned back and went to the rear of the changing rooms. There is a water tap where I got a drink of water. I waited there a while as I was a little tired.
After I got the water, I came back around to the rear of the changing rooms and then walked across the car park and I noticed Ana was walking along the park toward where we had come from.
There were other people in the car park out walking but I did not see anyone else I recognised.
When I saw Ana this time I said “hey” but she didn’t really say anything, she looked really down, she seemed upset and she had her head down. I walked on in front of her but we did not really talk.
I did not see her or speak to her after that.
I am not sure where she went but it looked as if she went back towards the changing rooms. This was about 5.30pm or 5.40pm.
I know Ana had her phone on her and it was switched on because I saw her checking it once or twice and she also told me the time at one stage.
I did not see Ana or Boy A after that. I went straight home and did my homework. My father was home when I got back.
The first I heard there was a problem with Ana was when the gardaí called to our house asking about her.
I have no clue what happened to her.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I called to a girl called Ana Kriégel at the request of my friend Boy A.

Distancing language. He introduces Anna like she’s a stranger. He does not tell us how he knows Ana or who she is. The linguistic deposition towards the victim is negative.

The linguistic deposition towards Boy A on the other hand is positive, as he is introduced as "my friend"

He had asked me to call to her and bring her to the park to meet with him there.
Why is it Boy B’s job to get a hold of Ana so that Boy A can talk to her? Consider if Boy A is the dominant one in their friendship.

He told me he wanted to sort out some relationship issues with her.
Did Ana and Boy A had something going on despite Boy A refusing to be interested in her?

So I called and got Ana and we walked through the pedestrian entrance on to the park.
Objectifying language.

Ana was very chatty.
I believe him. She was probably curious.

Ana wanted to know why Boy A wanted to meet her and I told her I would tell her when we got there.
Why didn’t he just tell her right then and there? Why the need to withhold information? Perhaps because he already knew what their plan was.

We met him at the overflow car park then, we walked towards the changing rooms.
"We" signals unity between him, Boy A, and Ana. At this point Ana is probably still chatty and dosen’t suspect anything.

I stayed behind them so they could talk. I could not really hear what they were saying, but I could hear their voices.
He could not hear them, but he could see them. It is almost as if it is important for him to keep an eye on them? Did Boy A ask him to do that?

I let them continue on walking.
They didn’t continue on walking, he let them. Why did they need his permission? He let them even though that wasn’t part of the plan?

I know that Boy A wanted to be clear to her that she was not of interest to him.
Now he is being very specific about what the purpose of the talk was, before Boy A “wanted to sort out some relationship issues with her”
What is happening between Boy A and Ana at this point?

I turned back and went to the rear of the changing rooms.
Why is Boy B suddenly leaving? Is there something going on between Boy A and Ana that Boy B does not want to see or allowed (by Boy A) to see?

There is a water tap where I got a drink of water.
The mention of water could mean that at this point Boy A is raping Ana, and that is what caused Boy B to turn away. Perhaps he was actually drinking water because he needed to calm down because what he had just witnessed was so stressful? Note that some people uses oral intake (food, drinks) as a way to ease stress.

I waited there a while as I was a little tired.
What had happened since he needs to mention to us that he was tired? Note that the release of endorphins during stressful situations can cause people to become tired.

After I got the water, I came back around to the rear of the changing rooms and then walked across the car park and I noticed Ana was walking along the park toward where we had come from.

Now he contradicts himself. First he said that he drank the water at the rear of the changing rooms where the water tap is placed, and waited there because he was tired. Now he states that he drank the water and came back around to the rear of the changing room. In order for him to get back to the rear of the changing rooms, he must be somewhere else, but he just told us that he was waiting at the rear of the changing rooms.
Where was he?

There were other people in the car park out walking but I did not see anyone else I recognised.
Alibi building. He could not have hurt Ana because there were other people around. The need to tell us that he did not recognize any other people tell us that we should not expect to find any of the people that can verify that he, Ana and Boy A were in the park. Since he did not see anyone he knew, it is understod that none of the people knew him.
Also, note that Ana was walking and so were “other people”. Consider that Ana was not walking at this point because she couldn’t.

Anonymous said...

When I saw Ana this time I said “hey” but she didn’t really say anything, she looked really down, she seemed upset and she had her head down.
Which other time did he see Ana and did not say “hey”? What did she say? He repeats the word "down" twice. Consider if he is actually describing the way Ana looked during the sexual assault or when she was dead?

I walked on in front of her but we did not really talk.
Note the order. He walked in front of her. Perhaps this could point to him being the one in control and she being submissive?

I did not see her or speak to her after that.
It is not clear what “that” refers to. Did she just vanish out of thin air? He is withholding information about what happened.

I am not sure where she went but it looked as if she went back towards the changing rooms.
Note that he makes sure to place him and Ana far away from each other. He was coming from the changing rooms, she is going there.

This was about 5.30pm or 5.40pm.
Why did he know what time it was? Consider that something happened in this time frame that made him remember the time. Did he look at his phone or hers? Did somebody try to call him or her and that made him look at his/her phone?
Note that Boy A has disappeared completely from Boy B’s statement.

I know Ana had her phone on her and it was switched on because I saw her checking it once or twice and she also told me the time at one stage.
Mention of time. Why would it have been necessary for Ana to tell Boy B what the time was? Also, in order for Ana to tell him what the time was the phone had to be switched on. This is unnecessary information. I think he is lying. Consider again if it was actually Boy A himself that looked at Anas phone and saw what the time was. Maybe he was holding her phone during the assault so she couldn’t call for help?

I did not see Ana or Boy A after that.
After what? Note that Ana and Boy A are now mentioned separately and not as a unity as they all were in the beginning of his statement. “That” could be the assault and the killing of Ana.

I went straight home and did my homework. My father was home when I got back.
Not only did he went home, he went straight home. This tells me that the opposite happened. Also here we see him portray himself as a good guy, a good student; he did his homework and nothing else.

The first I heard there was a problem with Ana was when the gardaí called to our house asking about her.
Note the use of euphemism. The sexual assault and the death of Ana is “a problem”. Subtle victim blaming as if Ana herself is responsible for what happened ro her,

I have no clue what happened to her.
This is a weird statement. We must suppose that Boy A has been told by the police or the person(s) that he is giving this statement to that Ana is dead. So he know that happened to her, not how but he knows she is dead. This statement also reminds me of a similar statement which is: "Thats all I know". He is trying to clear himself of guilt by saying that he dosen't know anything and therefore there is no point in asking him any more questions.

LuciaD said...

Anon @4:38
You make an excellent point regarding his statement “there was a problem with Ana” . She was only missing at the time of his statement, yet “a problem” is still troubling minimization of her situation. Exactly who was she “a problem” for? Her loved ones would not describe Ana being missing in those words.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Ana put up a hard fight.

Boy A whines about booboos he suffered while doing whatever he did. They remind me of the triceps tear muscle bleeds (which looked like full arm bruises) Darlie Routier ended up with after stabbing her boys to death.

Autumn said...

The entire premise of the boys’ story sounds ridiculous: if Boy A had rejected Ana before and wasn’t interested in her, why go through all the trouble of having friend Boy B call her and bring her to the park just so Boy A could meet her there and reject her again.

Autumn said...

Boy B’s statement:

”I called to a girl called Ana Kriégel at the request of my friend Boy A.”

I agree that the linguistic deposition towards Boy A is positive here. At the same time Boy B couldn’t have removed Boy A further from himself in this sentence (“I” at the beginning”, Boy A at the end). Sidenote: why does he say “I called to” twice. Most people leave out “to”.

“Ana was very chatty.”

Is this subtle victim blaming? Was Boy B annoyed with Ana talking so much?

"When I saw Ana this time I said “hey” but she didn’t really say anything, she looked really down, she seemed upset and she had her head down."

References to holding head down in statements are often an indication of shame -> here, they may reflect Boy B’s own feelings.

This was about 5.30pm or 5.40pm. I know Ana had her phone on her and it was switched on because I saw her checking it once or twice and she also told me the time at one stage.”

Is Boy B giving away the time of the murder/Ana’s death here (“told” “the time” -> were they "checking once or twice" if she was really dead)? I remember someone in the comments once explained that references to phones in statements signify something related to murder/death but I forgot what it is exactly (something to do with communication). Does anybody know? Speaking of time: given that Ana was raped it’s also interesting (from an SA perspective) that references to “water” pop up like clockwork in Boy B’s statement.

"The first I heard there was a problem with Ana was when the gardaí called to our house asking about her."

A "problem with" Ana -> "with" suggests one or more third persons who had a problem with Ana. Also: did the Gardaí ask Boy B when he first heard about it? If not, this entire sentence would be unnecessary information and suggests Boy B knew about the "problem" before the Gardaí called.

Boy B mentions walking towards and turning/going back to the “changing rooms” a total of four times in this short statement. I feel it has a deeper meaning. What is it? Twice “turned back”/”came back” to the “rear of the changing rooms” is mentioned in connection with water.

Autumn said...

Boy A’s statement:

”We were walking very slowly. I was talking to Boy B, I remember talking about video games.”

Maybe by saying “video games” Boy A is announcing his plans of sexual torture and murder -> Police discovered more than 12,000 pornographic images, many depicting sexual violence on his electronic devices, plus searches for torture methods.

”I was winded from one of the kicks in the chest. I managed to get up and I kicked one in the head and they ran off.
The heavy lad was 5ft 8, stocky build like a rugby player. He was maybe 19/20 wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, white runners and a dark hoody. There was maybe white laces in the hoody. He had dark coloured hair, he may have had his ear pierced, which one I don’t know.”


I think the first “lad” is in actuality Ana. Ana died from repeated blunt force trauma to her head (“I kicked one in the head”). Ana was 5 ft 8 tall. According to her parents she had a strong, “typical Siberian” build and could easily pass for an 18-year-old. She was wearing a “black hoody” and “black leggings” that day. She had recently dyed her hair black. She had “fringes” and a “round face”. She had very poor hearing in her right ear because of a tumor that was removed leaving her with a huge scar (“had his ear pierced”).

”Neither were wearing gloves and both were wearing baggy track suits bottoms. “

There is CCTV footage of Boy A wearing gloves and carrying a backpack while walking towards the derelict house where Ana was found.

Nadine Lumley said...

First off, this is very scary chilling reading....uggggg... why am I surprised a 13 yo boy can lie like a 60 yo man?

These aholes I'm guessing one or both have been brutally treated in their homes. I wud interview their families to see who abused / raped them to turn them into such young murderers is really horrific

It didn’t feel

It (her) didn't feel.

It sounds like she fought back like a crazy wild cat, I hope so.

RIP 14 yo girl.

Reminder ladies.... never chase boys / men. It can get you killed.


.

Nadine Lumley said...

Daly spent large parts of the first interview asking Boy B about his interests and hobbies. He asked what video games he liked (Halo and Outlast) and about his favourite Marvel character (Deadpool). There was laughter as Daly told Boy B he’d have to spell the name of his favourite YouTube star, PewDiePie, for him.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kriégel-murder-trial-the-complete-story-1.3929570


.

Nadine Lumley said...

So the big question is:

Should Boy B be in jail for life or not.

I'm leaning to no. I am very curious to knit what SA says about his involvement.

He mentioned water 3x and something about approachING from the rear..... and a guard said his dad was too high in court and his dad should leave... also Boy B got little help at home re school work even though he was very bright. Boy B liked to hang out with younger children than himself and did not like sports AT ALL and was scared of Boy A.

Boy B: Fem.? Gay? Bisexual? HSP?

He sounds like a PTSD victim of Boy A.

.

Sharon said...

I wouldn't assume that Ana had been chasing the boy or shown interest in him just because they claim so. It is common for sexual predators to claim that their victim was the one coming on to them. It's another form of victim blaming. The truth might be that she had rejected the boy, not the other way around, and this was payback.

Anonymous said...

Sharon: good point.

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is just like the girl in Aruba(Natalie), a set up-both boys planned to rape her and then went further to keep her quiet.

Foolsfeeonfolly said...

After the whole statement around the changing rooms and his getting a drink, Boy B says "I know Ana had her phone on her..."-not with her. I would expect most teens to say she had her phone with her. He seems a little verbally over-focused on her phone-he kind of ramble about it. Not being familiar with this story, I'm going to assume her phone was missing when she was found?

Anonymous said...

It seems murderers often recall their victims "looking" at or "watching" tv or phone screens as they are dying in front of them.

Autumn said...

Foolsfeedonfolly, maybe Boy B was worried that "Ana had her phone on" because this meant Ana's location could/might be traced. Boy A stated that Ana was "on her phone a good bit". Ana's phone was found in pieces at the crime scene.

Nadine Lumley said...

It's true the boys may have invented the story of her asking Boy A out twice. But her dad did say she left with Boy B with a big smile on her face which tells me she was happy to go off with him.

It's heartbreaking in article link I posted, her mom was texting her daughter things liKe, answer me now or I'm calling the police, right at the very moment her daughter was dying at 5:30 pm. Just heartbreaking.

I can't imagine being her dad participating in handing his daughter over to the killer's helper. How do you go on in yr marriage after that?

The mom knew immediately something was off. Poor dumb dad. He was wearing light hearted wedding ties to court 😢

.

Autumn said...

Nadine, thanks for the link -> I've read most of it. Yes, it's heartbreaking. The fact hat she left with Boy B with a big smile (and that she couldn't hate anyone even though she was viciously bullied) makes it all the more so. I definitely don't think it's her dad's fault. How could he expect or even image that a boy of 13 would end up (participating in) murdering his daughter. It would be interesting to know more about the relationship between Boy A / Boy B and their respective parents though. The article you linked mentions that Boy A's phone contained (among other things) a result for Jeff the Killer, a story about a teenager who murders his family.

Willow said...

Sharon, you put it well. It's most likely a projection from the boys to underline that it was Ana who was showing interest towards the boy.

The whole idea of the boys' story doesn't make sense as Autumn says. When hearing this kind of storytelling, the question arises: who was the script-writer. Why did Ana need to be told in a new meeting that the boy isn't interested? For the teller to show her "his consideration". Was this detail also premeditated in case the boys would need to explain later why they had proposed Ana to come to meet with one of them?

Both boys, A and B, make a point saying that they were "not interested" in Ana.
This may be the truth, in case, the boys' definition of "to be interested" could be found out.
If the boys define "interested" as willingness to work towards a real, long-term meaningful personal relationship, they spoke the truth. They didn't want that with Ana.
The boys were well aware of the need to keep their true intentions secret from the victim and probably from others, too.
Is it so that these boys would have operated in a vacuum two? Or is there evidence of a wider subculture that needs to be examined and stopped?

Ana "was very chatty".
This, too, may be describing the boys' own agitation.
The boys had this secret plan that they must have talked about and prepared for in advance. There was a lot of momentum at hand.

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Please help find Kyron

Rod Stewart - Reason To Believe - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com › watch
Lyrics
If I listened long enough to you
I'd find a way to believe that it's all true
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe
Someone like you makes it hard to live without
Somebody else
Someone like you makes it easy to give
Never think about myself
If I gave you time to change my mind
I'd find a way just to leave the past behind
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe
If I listened long enough to you
I'd find a way to believe that it's all true
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe
Someone like you makes it hard to live without
Somebody else
Someone like you makes it easy to give
Never think about myself
Someone like you makes it hard to live without
Somebody else
Someone like you makes it easy to give
Never think about myself
Someone like you makes it hard to live without
Somebody else
Someone like you makes it easy to give
Never think about myself
Someone like you makes it hard to live without
Somebody else

Mike Dammann said...

In sexual assault cases, there often is an attempt made to convey that the victim was interested in the perpetrator and that the perpetrator turned her/him down.

It is preemptive alibi building that the perpetrator couldn't have sexually assaulted the victim as no interest was present to begin with.

Autumn said...

A "female child witness" reportedly testified that "everyone knew" that Ana liked Boy A but she wasn't sure if Ana ever said it directly to him. She said Ana asked her to find out if Boy A liked her but the witness said: "I don't think he liked her."

See for instance here:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ana-kriegel-trial-one-of-accused-boys-told-friend-that-boy-a-was-trying-to-set-him-up-court-hears-927775.html