Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Gannon Staunch: Step Mother's Statement



Tecia Staunch: 

"Ok I took care of Gannon for the past 2 years in our home because his mother didn't want to do it..."

This is an unusual beginning to the interview.  We see that her priority begins with herself, and she has a negative linguistic disposition towards Gannon's mother. 

This is not expected. 

The subject begins with "ok", which may be a habit of speech. Like all habits of speech, we look to learn what context provokes it, and what does not. 

"Ok" is often an "agreement" or "affirmation"---a form of ingratiation.  Once flagged, we seek to learn if the ingratiation is appropriate or inappropriate in context. 

Here, the expectation is the child's welfare and de facto innocence of the step mother.  There should be no need to ingratiate herself, even in light of negative publicity, because it pales in comparison to the missing boy.  

This next statement is revelatory: 

And I would never never ever hurt this child...and I know there are some questions out there about..."

This is very likely a statement of guilt.  It does not mean that she killed him, but is both an unreliable denial and an assertion---it comes after blaming the child's mother in context. 

It is very likely that Gannon did not have a happy home life with his step mother. Whether this was emotional abuse, emotional coldness, or outright physical abuse is not known. 

She does not use Gannon's name, nor does she use a possessive pronoun, further indication of a poor relationship.  


Interviewer, "So OK tell me what happened..."

The interviewer must ingratiate himself into the mind of the subject in order to obtain info.  This is an example of an appropriate use. 

The subject is a victim, of sorts, of having to raise Gannon, because of the biological mother. 

Remember---this is not reality, but the subject's verbalized perception of it.  It is not fact, it is what the subject believes. We want to be led by the subject's words and let these words guide us, whether or not we agree with her. 

"But that's up to the investigations when they end up letting you guys know...
But I've cooperated with them, even to the point that we were held by a gun, 

The subject is now a victim of law enforcement, "even to the point that we were held by a gun"--- again, against her will. This is her level of "cooperated"--- Indication to the contrary.  She likely has withheld critical info from police investigators.  

With  this we see the distancing from police by the word "with" between "I've" and "them" prior to the "gun" entering the statement. 

She has not been cooperating fully with police.

This does not mean that she killed him, though it could.  It indicates some form of guilt. 

Attendant Guilt -- is guilt that attends a criminal act. 

Tangent Guilt -- this is guilt that the subject has that is unrelated to the missing child. 

For example:  A father is deceptive about his missing child while she is missing.  

Yet, he did not kill his child; a sexual predator did. 

Why the deception?

He was under the influence, asleep, when his daughter wandered out of the home. 

Analysts must be very careful in discernment of this, citing the guilt, and allowing for it to be tangential guilt. 

and my daughter, a 17 yr old who serves our country in the United States Air Force , 

By referencing the "United States Air Force" she is portraying herself and her daughter 

a. together  ("we" were held by a gun)
b. as patriotic 

This is to affirm the necessity of not being alone, and the need to be portrayed in a positive light. 

Q. Who has the need for a positive portrayal in an unnecessary context?

A. Someone who has done wrong. 

This lead to questions: 

Did she harm Gannon?

Did she cause him to run away? 

Given her need to begin with Gannon's mother, did Gannon compare his step mother unfavorably to his mother?  


who has never committed a crime or done anything wrong in her life , 


The subject does not say that she, herself, never committed a crime, but is defending her daughter----

who is not missing, nor, at this time, appears accused of anything. 

Q: Does the daughter know something about the mother? 


was put in hand cuffs over the keys that was in her purse so they could take her car...and they weren't even in her purse, they were in my pocket...

She now shows her daughter as a "victim" of police.  This is a tangent that moves the topic away from Gannon. 

I didn't know it was a law enforcement officer because when he came out, I guess he was putting his jacket on and it wasn't necessarily his fault, he was adjusting and he happened to catch me, but I saw the gun and I panicked originally and kinda thought oh gosh ,I got...whose this guy and then once I realized it was the sheriffs office I was totally okay but they still had a gun and told me they were gonna shoot me...

The subject tells us that she "panicked originally", but does not tell use what this means. 

What did she do to cause the deputy to pull his weapon? 

Linguistic Disposition: 

thus far, no concern for Gannon while he is missing.

Concern for self and concern for her daughter, of whom she takes pronoun possession of: 


but I was really concerned about my daughter asking why she was being detained in handcuffs and things like that...when that shouldn't even happen for a child that shouldn't happen for someone who is standing inside of a store shopping because we couldn't have any clothes because all of our clothes were here, if we came here and got clothes ya know we would be harassed and so she went to purchase some underwear and things like that and was put in the handcuffs in the store, And ya know then she was brought out with me and the guns, and that's just not okay, ya know they could have approached me and said 'Hi, I'm with Pasco County can I please...instead of the way that it happened..."

This is a lot of information that is unrelated to the priority of the missing child, Gannon.  

She has not yet used his name. 

She has not called him "my stepson", either. 

Um, I think that a lot of people can see that I'm not missing

She's not missing----this is her priority. 



and see that I am being cooperative, and, but, to me it's okay that they think those things because my, the way someone thinks about me, I don't have a problem with that. 

She doesn't have a "problem" with people holding her in suspicion. This is a good position to hold if your priority is the missing child.  This would be to care only for the missing child---what he is going through and how he must be found. 

But in context, she has not mentioned him yet, other than to blame Gannon's mother.  


My main thing is I would never want someone to think that I hurt Gannon or any of the children in our home cause that's just not the case.

She has hurt Gannon. 

 This is an embedded admission

She is not quoting someone else, but what someone to "think" that she does not want.  

It is not known if the "hurt" inflicted was emotional or physical, from the statement thus far. 

Did she "hurt" him emotionally, causing him to run off?

Did she "hurt" him in a way that causes his status of missing? 


 I've spent my whole entire life working so hard in education, 

The Good Person---- the need to assert this is indicative to the contrary.  

"The Good Person" narrative reveals guilt.  

Q. "Did you embezzle funds?
A. "Let me tell you, I have worked since I was 12 years old and I have worked two jobs to provide for my children, and I..." 

Q. "Did you  assault her?"
A. " I am an advocate for women. I vote for women. I have always..." 



um, there's even things online that was talking about my education license and I shouldn't even be a teacher, and they just didn't know that. 

How is Gannon doing?
What is he experiencing?
Is he being fed?
Is he warm?
Is he afraid? 

She is concerned for herself, first, and then for her daughter. 

it's "my" education license but not "my stepson, Gannon" 

This is insight into what Gannon experienced the last two years. 



Like, we moved on a military move, and I didn't finish out my contract so, I gave up my license in that state. 

Gannon is missing and she wants to address a detail about her career.  


Um, it had nothing to do with any criminal activity you know, or any of those things, and it just got blown out of proportion on my professional status you know and... "

She has done something illicit and/or illegal 


"Secondly, I'm going to be so ecstatic when I am able to say to people that I hope they have a really sincere apology for all of these theories that have came  out online, for ALL of the things that they say that I have done, or people have done, 

Her ecstatic response will not be because Gannon is found safe, but because she will get a "really sincere apology" from social media.  


and I just want everyone to know that we are going to find Gannon, 

Here he is "Gannon" who will be found so that she can receive her really sincere apology --- this is her priority. 


and I love him so much, and I have been taking care of him for so long."

Note that she now goes back to length of time where she has been taking care of him----language consistent with burnout, exasperation or possible depression.  

Did he, in her view, wear her out? 

When we see time lengthened inappropriately (and in an inappropriate context) we must not only consider depression but in this context, possible justification. 

Greater Context Observation 

The length of time should not be of consideration unless the length of time is how long he has been missing.  Has he been missing "for so long"? For even a few hours is dreadful to a loving parent. 

Note the initial reference to only two years.  

Is she making excuses (justifications) for her actions? 


The reporter then asks her to tell him a little bit about GS.

"He was always so helpful with the dogs, " "He was always the person I could say, Gannon, could you go do this, and he would go do it right away…"

The past tense references indicate a belief or  knowledge that Gannon is either no longer living, or if he is, will not live with her upon return.

He gets a positive linguistic disposition when he did what she said to do, but not while he is missing. 

Analysis Conclusion:

It is not known from this statement if the step mother caused Gannon to go missing. She, herself,  raises suspicion about possible involvement. 

Her priority is herself.  This is a dominant theme for her.  

She shows no interest in his plight.  

This is always concerning because it highlights possible disassociation as well as what Gannon likely experienced while living with her. Some kids will run away from such abuse. 

Her personality: acutely selfish---she holds her priority as to self, and to promote herself as a "good" person---- turning all back to herself, with little self awareness (given the context here) 

This is something Gannon likely experienced daily. 

She sees herself as a victim while showing no concern for what Gannon may be experiencing currently.  She was a victim of Gannon's mother and of law enforcement.  What is most concerning about this is the need to justify---if one is a victim, it is not one's fault for lashing out. Politicians exploit the public in this way.  

She may believe or know that he is deceased.  

She should be considered a suspect. 

Her mental health hx should be explored. 

Should it prove that she did not cause his disappearance, it is very likely that she caused him harm while he was living there. It is not known if this is emotional or physical or both, from this statement. 

That she spends so much effort justifying herself is very concerning. 

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was spot on. Great write up.

Unknown said...

Very interesting; a very easy to understand and thorough analysis.

Statement Analysis Blog said...

I don't know that step mother is a narcissist.



Peter

grhea said...

Really interesting. Validation of what I felt while listening to her. Prayers for the safe return of Gannon. ��

Anonymous said...

Can you comment on the part of the interview where she says “Gannon is not dead, he is gonna come back”. The fact that she says “not dead” instead of “is alive” seems significant to me. But I could be reading into it.

John Mc Gowan said...

Hi, Peter

What I find intriguing is she personalizes and humanizes, Gannon. Usualy we see distancing language omitting names.

I think she says his name 15 times in the interview, 14, openly, and once paroting back from the journalist.



Statement Analysis Blog said...

John,

What is missing is the possessive pronoun. This is not only natural (expected) but something enhanced by the emotion of a missing child. Context is key. Pronouns are powerful instincts of relationships.

Anonymous,

"dead" rather than "alive" is consistent with her past tense reference. I added that given the circumstances with her husband, she may believe Gannon will never be raised by her again---this is a possibility.

It was a good observation on your part. It not only uses dead, but is also in the negative, "not" heightening its importance.

Human nature is complex and often to the untrained eye there is a desire for,

"Just tell me, is she lying or not!" snap shot.

This is why I added that she did hurt him, but she may not have killed him.

the new video evidence notwithstanding.



Peter

David said...

Peter,

Excellent analysis & I think she did hurt him. But I dont understand why her statement “I would never want someone to think that I hurt Gannon” is an embedded admission because it is simple repeating what she knows others are thinking. I always thought that repetition of an accusation which has been said or thought about the subject BY the subject is parroting rather than admission of guilt? Very curious about this.

John Mc Gowan said...

Family of missing Colorado boy makes tearful plea after new surveillance video revealed
"A kid doesn't just disappear and no one sees him," the boy's mom said.


The family of Gannon Stauch, a missing 11-year-old Colorado boy, made a gut-wrenching plea Wednesday for anyone with information on the child's disappearance to come forward.

"A kid doesn't just disappear and no one sees him. ... So if you have anything that's credible, if you're afraid, don't worry about it. Imagine my son. Imagine how afraid he is," Gannon's mother Landen Hiott said through tears in a YouTube video that was posted to El Paso County's official channel.

Hiott sat with Gannon's father, Albert Stauch, and his younger sister, Laina Stauch, in the video.

"My son" - possession

"Imagine how afraid he is" - concern for, Gannon.


Video

https://abcnews.go.com/US/surveillance-video-shows-stepmom-colorado-boy-missing/story?id=68746900&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Statement Analysis Blog said...

"people are saying I hurt him" would be to quote people.

1. She gives what they are thinking. Had she said she read this, it would not be an embedded admission.

2. The context is extreme----missing child and that she "hurt him" should be unthinkable to her at this point.

Peter



David said...
Peter,

Excellent analysis & I think she did hurt him. But I dont understand why her statement “I would never want someone to think that I hurt Gannon” is an embedded admission because it is simple repeating what she knows others are thinking. I always thought that repetition of an accusation which has been said or thought about the subject BY the subject is parroting rather than admission of guilt? Very curious about this.


My Sweet Whirled said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I thought this whole sentence was really interesting: "He WAS always so helpful with the dogs. He WAS always the person I could say, Gannon, COULD you go do this, and he would go do it right away…"

I would think it should have been more like "I could say, Gannon, CAN you go do this, and he would go do it right away..."

I also think it is interesting that her example of him helping was limited to the dogs.

Anonymous said...

OT
Salvatore "Sam" Anello, the Indiana man accused of negligent homicide in the death of his granddaughter Chloe Wiegand, said what happens in the criminal investigation is not important because "the worst thing" has already happened. In an exclusive interview with CBS News, Anello spoke for the first time about the moment 18-month-old Wiegand fell from his grasp out of a cruise ship window in Puerto Rico.

"Chloe being gone is the worst thing ever. So I'm like, whatever," Anello said. "There's nothing worse that they could do to me than what's already happened."

Wiegand fell 150 feet from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico in July. Anello was holding the girl up against what he thought was a bank of closed windows, when she slipped from his grasp. Despite the family's wishes not to pursue charges, Puerto Rican prosecutors have charged him with negligent homicide.

"Whether, you know, they find me guilty of whatever or not. It's inconsequential because of what has already happened is so horrible," Anello said.

Anello told "CBS This Morning" lead national correspondent David Begnaud that he is colorblind and believes that may have contributed to him not realizing the window was open.

"Some of the people who've been on the boat have written to me and said, 'David, the windows are tinted, and so it is pretty easy to recognize that it's open,'" Begnaud said.

"I'm colorblind, David," Anello said. "I don't know. I just never saw it. ... I've been told that that's a reason that it might have happened."

Anello recalled looking for Chloe on the floor after she fell before realizing she had fallen out of the ship.

"I saw her fall. I saw her fall the whole way down. I saw her fall, and I was just in disbelief. I was like, 'Oh my God,' ... And then I just remember screaming that I thought there was glass," he said.

"Walk me through what you remember," Begnaud said.

"So she's down at the — looking at the — out the window, and the glass. I bent down by her, and then we always, like, when you're — whenever we were at hockey games, we would bang on the glass, and it was fun, you know? So when I knelt down to be with her at that level, I couldn't reach the glass, really, with my fingertips, so I knew she couldn't. So that's when I decided I'd pick her up," he said. "So I, you know, was trying to stand her on the railing. And it happened in seconds."

"Can you show me how you were holding her? Like, was it kind of a bear hug, or was it —," Begnaud said.

"Kind of, yeah. I was trying to hold her like that. From what I remember. ... I had her, and I was trying to knock on the glass. And at that point I'm like, 'Well, I'm going to have to lean farther for her to be able to reach it,' right? Because I thought it was farther out than I expected," he said.

Anello said at one point he had one arm around her and the other arm was trying to knock on the glass.

"I think that's the point where she slipped out of me," Anello said. "At no point during that whole incident did I think that, well, she fell out. It was, like, it was unbelievable. It's like it disappeared. It's like the glass disappeared."

"I don't know if there's a feeling more helpless than watching her fall —," Begnaud said.

"No," Anello said. "This seems like it's all not real. She's such a beautiful little girl, a perfect little girl … smart little girl, smart little girl that everybody should have been able to know, that everybody should have been able to know."

continues

Anonymous said...

The video that CBS News saw, and I saw myself, appears to show you holding Chloe above the railing and over the railing ... I have to think a juror who watches that may think, 'That was reckless,'" Begnaud said.

"Not knowing that there wasn't glass there, if somehow I thought that she was going beyond the glass, I wouldn't have done it. I would have been appalled," Anello said. "I wouldn't mess around with Chloe in — that kind of — or anybody with a dangerous kind of — never. Never. ... If there was some kind of warning sign, we wouldn't even have been near it. We wouldn't even have been near it."

"Who do you blame in this situation?" Begnaud asked.

"The more and more days go by, you know, initially I couldn't — I couldn't help but blame myself. But I know that — I know that I — if there was a sign, if there was something that indicated there was a chance for that window to be an opening, that this wouldn't happen," Anello said.

"You blame the cruise line?" Begnaud asked.

"I do," he said. "I just want them to fix the boat. Just fix it. Just fix the boat."

"What was your lowest point?" Begnaud asked.

"I don't know if I've reached it yet. What's keeping me going now is the process right now, and when it's over, regardless of the outcome, I think I'm going to need some — some help."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-ship-death-salvatore-anello-grandfather-charged-death-of-chloe-wiegand-says-hes-colorblind/

Anonymous said...

An interesting bit of extra information in the transcript posted in the comments after this article:

https://statement-analysis.blogspot.com/2020/02/missing-gannon-stauch.html

"You know, sometimes with kids, we have to remind ‘em and things like that, and that’s ok, but, he was so sweet and able to help anyone; he could notice when you’re sick, and say, are you ok, and – such a kind heart."



Was Gannon sick?
Did stepmom not notice that he was sick until it was too late?

David said...

Peter, Thank you so much—it is fascinating to learn about embedded confessions!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this insightful analysis.

John Mc Gowan said...

Thanks, Peter, I missed the pssessive pronoun.

Statement Analysis Blog said...

David, you're welcome. Your question was a good one.


Peter

Unknown said...

Listening to Landen speak and Tee the step mother speak you couldn't see more contrast. To Landen Gannon is always, described absolutely and unapologetically as 'hers' regardless of his father sitting next to her. The anger she displays when she asks people to who may be afraid to imagine how afraid he is shows the depth of her attachment and distress.
The step mother has a very paculiar diction, that I struggled with as she blathered on, and I was afraid to make conclusions because of it, but I tried to remember that context is key. Thank you for your insights.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the analysis. Another thing I've noticed is step-mom hasn't bothered to appeal for Gannon' safe return, beg for information that could help, nadda. Neither did Kyron Horman's step-mom of my memory serves me. That's the case I thought of immediately upon listening to Gannon's step-mom's interview. (I took the time to read your analysis on Terri. It was excellent by the way as is this one.) It must drive investigators out of their minds listening to these killers statements and know they simply do not have the evidence they yet need while vital evidence is being lost. (Potential killers...I know, but let's face it...)

Deandra said...

Off Topic:

Anyone notice anything odd about this video done by Tom (Chosen Won)?

Clue: It is something Tom asks.

Background Info: It has been widely speculated that he may have killed working girls in Detroit.

Please give feedback. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTK_XoANrGw

Tania Cadogan said...

She may not have killed him directly, she could have harmed him and the harm killed him.
What that harm was could have been physical, mental, taking him somewhere and leaving him where he would not survive either because of location of because of something she did to him.

Mike Dammann said...

"for ALL of the things that they say that I have done,"
Expected when guilt-free:
"All the things they said I had done"

"and so she went to purchase some underwear and things like that"
While expressing love for her daughter, this could indicate knowledge of sexual abuse

Brye said...

With her saying that Gannon isn’t dead and she can’t wait for him to come hope so people can apologize. I’m wondering if possibly she’s put him somewhere so that she can bring him back at some point and be labeled the hero. Any thoughts on this?