Tuesday, March 2, 2021

911 Call: Was AG Jason Ravnsborg Truthful?



Caller: Hello.
Dispatcher: Hi.
Caller: Can you hear me?


the greeting "hello" is contextually appropriate if the caller was uncertain about the communication as suggested by the question, "Can you hear me?"


Generally, we do not expect an emergency call to begin with a greeting. 


Dispatcher: I can.
Caller: Hello.
Dispatcher: 9-1-1. This is Ally. How can I help you?


Caller: Ally. 
This...well...AllyI’m the Attorney General. And I am...I don’t know...I hit something. 


1. Note the use of the name, "Ally"

Note its use twice.

This is an attention getter and not likely something we expect in a call to police emergency. That he repeats her name may indicate a need to be seen as "friendly" with her. This may indicate a form of ingratiation as to appear to be "the good guy" in the call.


The need to be perceived as "good" or friendly, often indicates to the contrary. 


2. "I'm the attorney general" is a priority for him.  His status matters in this call to police, which is very important to the analysis of what he reports. 

3. "I hit something" is reliably stated and likely to be true.  However, he does not say, 

"I hit something; maybe a deer..." 


Dispatcher: You hit something?


Caller: By Highmore. Highmore. And it was in the middle of the road.


Dispatcher: Okay. Give me one second here. Let me get you mapped. 
Do you know where you’re at? 

Caller: I believe I’m by Highmore. I can...I’m right...I can see the town.


Dispatcher: Okay.


Caller: I think that’s Highmore.


Dispatcher: East or west?
Caller: I just went through it. I am...west of Highmore...


The caller is helpful regarding his location. 


Dispatcher: Okay.


Caller: 
Ah...about a mile, if that.


Dispatcher: Okay. And this is Scott?
Caller: Uh, say again?

He may have trouble hearing which is another reason why we do not flag the greeting above.


Dispatcher: What was your name?
Caller: Jason...

no last name as if he and Ally are on first name basis.  He already identified his job title. 


Dispatcher: Jason...
Caller: ...Ravnsborg


Dispatcher: ...Ravnsborg
. Perfect. Okay.
(Typing)


Dispatcher: Are you injured at all, Jason?


Caller: I am not, but my car sure as hell is.

He answers the question, but then goes further to report his car.  He does not report on the status of what or whom he hit; only his car. 



Dispatcher: Uh oh. Are you out of the roadway?


Caller: I am out of the roadway. I was able to get over, but...

Dispatcher: Okay.
(Typing)


Now, he changes his account from "I hit something" to: 



Caller: It sure hit 
me...smashed my windshield...

He shifts the blame to "it" and specifically mentions his windshield. 


Dispatcher: Oh no. Okay, do you think it was a deer or something? 

A natural question that is only necessary because the subject has not offered it. 

Caller: I have no idea...

This is not expected. The subject hit something, it ruined his car and it smashed his windshield.  Was there blood? Evidence?  Would he have "no idea" what it was? 


Dispatcher: Okay...


Caller: Yeah...It could be...I mean...it was right in the roadway 
and... 

Whatever "it" was that hit him (his perception), he now blames "it" for being "right in the roadway." 

Dispatcher: ...(typing)...K...and were you traveling westbound then? 

Caller: Yes, westbound...back to Pierre.

Dispatcher: Okay...(typing)...alrighty, well I will go head and let the...ah...sheriff know. He’s the one that’s on call right now. He’ll be responding from home and I’ll have him come out and talk to you and take the report. Can I just...

Caller: Okay.
Dispatcher: ... get the license plate off your vehicle, Jason?
Caller: Yes...G...zero, zero, zero, two, seven.
Dispatcher: Okay. Government plate?
Caller: Well, it’s a bronze star plate.
Dispatcher: K...
Caller: It’s my personal car...
Dispatcher: K...alright...I will get him headed that way for you, Jason

Caller: Alright. Thank you.
Dispatcher: You’re welcome, sir. Bye-bye.
Caller: Bye.


Analysis Conclusion:

The subject is deceptively concealing knowledge  of what happened. 

1. "I have no idea" by itself, does not indicate deception. Yet in context we learned:

2. He did not offer any possible explanation. This is to leave something a mystery that isn't natural. To speculate based upon impact is expected.  "I hit a deer" or "I hit a moose", or something along these lines.  "Deer" was the most likely and the operator may have been surprised that the "Attorney General" did not even offer a guess. 

3. He changed language.  

Language does not change on its own, but represents a change of perceived reality (or a liar has lost track).  

In this change, we go from the reliable, "I hit something" (he did) to shifting the blame to the victim ("it") and then to double down on blaming the victim for the location in the road.

Had he said, "a deer ran out in to the road", there would have been no mystery, but it is in his avoidance that he gains our attention (and the operator's). 

4. Did you notice that he offered no information as to what happened to the victim?  Was the deer, or large animal blocking the road?

5.  He specifically referenced the windshield. This is where impact would be most for him---it is what he would see. 

He was not truthful about not knowing who he hit. 


External information:

Q. In hindsight, was the original greeting to 911 an example of ingratiation?

Response:  It may have been, but in analysis we attempt to clear sensitivity indicators due to context.  This way, if we conclude deception, it is of a greater certainty. 


He was later confronted by police: 

South Dakota’s attorney general — who said he hit a deer after fatally striking a pedestrian last year — allegedly had the victim’s glasses inside his car, according to newly-released interviews.

The state’s Department of Public Safety on Tuesday released recordings of investigators questioning Jason Ravnsborg about the Sept. 12 crash that left 55-year-old Joseph Boever dead.

The footage shows how, during a Sept. 14 interview, detectives told Ravnsborg that they had discovered a pair of broken glasses on the front passenger floorboard of his vehicle.

During a second sit-down on Sept. 30, interviewers asked about the glasses again, telling Ravnsborg that they had belonged to the victim.

“They’re Joe’s glasses,” an agent says, referring to Boever. “So that means his face came through your windshield.”

Upon hearing that, Ravnsborg looked down and sighed deeply, before shaking his head, the footage shows.


If you wish to study deception detection or host a seminar, please visit Hyatt Analysis

15 comments:

Martina said...

What I find most fascinating about this call is this sentence:

Dispatcher: Oh no. Okay, do you think it was a deer or something?

The AG has deliberately not told the dispatcher what he hit with his car. He did not say he hit a deer or a person. The dispatcher fills in this deliberate blank with her own speculation or "what she thought she heard him say." A fantastic example how the brain works. The brain constantly seeks patterns and explanations. If asked the next day, she probably would have said that this call was from a person who hit a deer. But he did not say that, it was her own interpretation.
This dispatcher needs more training.

Bottle Cap said...

Ravnsborg’s statements to LE, lots of direct quotes here:

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/investigators-ravnsborg-should-have-seen-boever-the-night-of-the-crash/article_d417d5be-4f71-5458-8483-91bcc8264529.html

Some key excerpts:
"I know how some of this looks, but I did not see a man until the next day,” he said. "I did not see a flashlight, I didn't see him in the face. No, I did not. I did not. I did not know it was a man until the next day. No."

“I’ll swear on a stack of bibles” and “I’ll go to my grave saying that,” Ravnsborg said

Ravnsborg left the event around 9 p.m. to head back to Pierre and said he slowed down through Highmore before starting to accelerate once he saw the increased 65 mph speed limit.

“And then quite frankly, ‘wham!” Ravnsborg said as he slapped his hands together. “I hit, you know, the incident happened. I never saw anything until the impact. I immediately jump out of the car and call 911 within seconds.”

"What else would it be” but a deer, Ravnsborg said. “I would not expect a man to be on the side of the road in dark like it was. I did not think that a person would be out there at that time."


.

Martina said...

Bottle Cap:

“I’ll go to my grave saying that,” Ravnsborg said

I 100% believe him.

"What else would it be” but a deer, Ravnsborg said. “I would not expect a man to be on the side of the road in dark like it was. I did not think that a person would be out there at that time."

He is right. The likelyhood that somebody hits a deer is much higher than hitting a man. The problem is that he did not say that in the 911 call, where it would be completely natural to try to explain to himself or the 911 operator what happened. The brain needs an explanation. But he never said: I think I hit a deer. It was always "something". This is not expected, and not how the brain works if somebody has nothing to hide.

Martina said...

Attorney General Christian Porter has outed himself as the Australian cabinet minister at the center of a historical rape allegation that has caused a storm of speculation in the nation's Parliament.

Speaking at a press conference in Perth Wednesday, Porter strongly denied the allegations made against him. "Nothing in the allegations that have been printed ever happened. Even now, the only information I have about the allegations is what has been circulating online," he said.

Nothing in the allegations that have been printed ever happened.

He restricts the allegation to print media. Nothing/ever is unreliable. It's a conversation stopper: That's all I know. Now go away.

Even now, the only information I have about the allegations is what has been circulating online,

Now the allegations are not printed, but circulating online.

the only information I have about the allegations

He refers to information about the allegation. That is deflecting from the allegation and not adressing it directly.

What else do you see?

frommindtomatter said...

@Martina

Attorney General Christian Porter

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2021/mar/03/attorney-general-christian-porter-denies-historical-allegation-video

Watch the clip from 20 second to 50 second mark. I have transcribed that part below -

I was aware over the last few months of a whispering campaign. Had the accusation ever been put to me before they were printed… I would of [at least] been able to say, the [only] thing that I can say… [likely] the [only] thing that I`m [ever] going to be able to say….. and [it’s the truth]. And that is that nothing in the allegations that have been printed ever happened.

Adrian.

Anonymous said...

OT possible covid deaths analysis

When my mom caught covid in the hospital a nurse got permission for a visitor. My mom was wiped out, a giant water bottle was out of her reach, her uneaten dinner tray was across the room. Eventually I got her up and fed her entire dinner. It took close to an hour. When I later spoke to a nurse about actually feeding her, the response was that they didn’t have the time. Thank God she’s now asleep in my living room ( which she calls her bedroom) and she’s feeding herself and up and walking. I wonder about the nursing home deaths and the restrictions preventing families from visiting loved ones....

Anonymous said...

34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

35 While he yet spake, there came from the ruler of the synagogue's house certain which said, Thy daughter is dead: why troublest thou the Master any further?

36 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

37 And he suffered no man to follow him, save Peter, and James, and John the brother of James.

38 And he cometh to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and seeth the tumult, and them that wept and wailed greatly.

39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

40 And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying.

41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

42 And straightway the damsel arose, and walked; for she was of the age of twelve years. And they were astonished with a great astonishment.

43 And he charged them straitly that no man should know it; and commanded that something should be given her to eat.

Anonymous said...

OT:

Texas Justice of the Peace charged with election fraud. His released statement is so weak I don’t even.think it qualifies as a denial.

"I was stunned by the allegations because there is absolutely no truth to them. I have spent the last 27 years building my law practice and serving in this community which has created my reputation for fairness, sincerity and integrity. I entered the race for JP because I wanted to serve Medina County and make the office function better for its citizens. I feel I have done exactly that up to this point. For people who know me, these allegations are absurd. To those who don’t, it provides reason to sneer and hate.
"I will vigorously defend myself to the fullest extent and I fully expect to be vindicated."

Autie said...

Sarah Everard Missing

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14261791/sarah-everard-missing-clapham-police/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

“If someone is holding her against her will I would plead with them just to be human and to let her come home, to let her talk to us, give us a ring or text to let us know she is OK,"

“These are desperate times for the family. We know the police are doing everything they can but it's the not knowing what has happened after four days is agonising.”

“My brother and sister-in-law are beside themselves with worry,"

"They’re doing everything they can to help find her and have been walking her last known journey.”

He described Sarah as a
"bright young woman, very sensible"
who had lived in London
"for a long time so I imagine was very streetwise"

“She didn't have any troubles and was fit and healthy. She was happy, she had just started a new job and she had a boyfriend,"

“She is a lovely person. She would never just take time out without contacting her family. It would be completely out of character.”

“Her mobile phone is not ringing and she’s not received any WhatsApp messages we’ve been sending her."

Autie said...

I’m seeing lots of red flags in that article.

John Mc Gowan said...

OT Update:

Police search East Bakersfield home in connection to missing California City boys
Orson and Orrin West have been missing since Dec.


BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KERO) — According to a neighbor, the Bakersfield Police Department conducted a search in connection to the disappearance of two California City kids.

The search took place at around 1 p.m. Friday afternoon in the 1100 block of E. Potomac Avenue at the home of the adoptive grandparents of Orrin and Orson West. Investigators were seen leaving with "brown bags" according to neighbor Vina Jefferson.

"Police cars that were out there. Out here two houses down and then they went all the way to the end of the block. They were in the yard, and then they stayed around for a while. Then four of them left. There were two still left, and they stay, maybe no longer than 30 minutes if that long, and then they left. But that truck that's in the yard wasn't there," said Jefferson.

23ABC has not been able to get a hold of police to ask what exactly was removed from the home.

Earlier this month, the Bakersfield Police Department took over as the lead investigators in the case involving the disappearance of 3-year-old Orson West and 4-year-old Orrin West. The two boys were reported missing in California City on December 21 by their adoptive parents.

"Due to facts now known to investigators, and the circumstances surrounding the disappearance, the City of Bakersfield is a historical nexus to the children," a BPD press release stated at the time.
"The California City Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation will continue to have active roles in the investigation."

Bakersfield Police Sergeant Robert Pair was unable to comment whether police believe a crime in the boys' case was committed in Bakersfield.

Pair was able to confirm that BPD has executed more than 20 search warrants in the case so far at residences in Bakersfield, California City, and other jurisdictions.

BPD is asking anyone who had contact with the boys in the past year, "regardless of the context" to contact the department through the Secret Witness hotline 661-322-4040.

https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/police-search-east-bakersfield-home-in-connection-to-missing-california-city-boys

Have adoptive Grandparents done any interviews?

John Mc Gowan said...

In light of the search warrant executed at the adoptive grandparents i went back a found this short statement.

PUBLISHED: , 7 February 2021

Adoptive grandmother, Wanda West, right, said: 'I just know they were really good parents as far as I'm concerned. 'Right now there are people outside the home, talking about where are the boys. 'It's like people don't realize we are grieving we are hurting just like they are'

In context i wouldn't normally put to much weight in the past tense reference given the boys are missing and the others have been taken away and they are not looking after them anymore. However, she goes onto use the word "grieving", this does concern me. This ("grieving") is most often used used when someone has past away. Along side the past tense reference (were) is not good.

Grieving: To feel or cause to feel great sorrow or distress, esp at the death of someone.

It could be said that the pasting of time and LE suspecting "foul play" has triggered this word, she may have heard another use it etc, and that adoptive families will yield quicker to the worst outcome than immediate family members, or, she has has guilty knowledge of something nefarious. Either way i don't like it,

John Mc Gowan said...

OT:

Armie Hammer Being Investigated By Los Angeles Police Department After Woman Claims Actor Raped Her For ‘Four Hours’

The woman said to have sparked the wave of disturbing allegations against Armie Hammer has publicly accused him of rape.

The 34-year-old actor has been at the centre of a number of alarming claims with regards to sexual assault, cannibalism, blood play and other fantasies since screenshots emerged online earlier this year. The Los Angeles Police Department has since confirmed it has launched an investigation into the sexual assault allegations against Hammer.

The woman, who’s been named only as Effie, came forward during a press conference where she accused Hammer of violently raping her over the course of a four-hour incident on April 24, 2017. She said he abused her ‘mentally, emotionally and sexually’.

The 24-year-old spoke alongside women’s rights lawyer Gloria Allred, explaining how she met Hammer on Facebook in 2016 at the age of 20.

‘I fell in love with him instantly,’ she said, as per The Daily Beast. ‘The relationship progressed rapidly, and the emotions from both sides became really intense. Looking back, it is now clear to me, he was employing manipulation tactics in order to exert control over me until I started to lose myself.’

She added, ‘He would often test my devotion to him, slyly removing and crossing my boundaries, as he became increasingly more violent.’

Detailing the allegations, Effie continued, ‘Armie Hammer raped me (This is a very strong statement) for over four hours in Los Angeles, during which he repeatedly slapped my head against a wall, bruising my face. During those four hours, I tried to get away and he wouldn’t let me. I thought that he was going to kill me.’

She added, ‘He then left with no concern for my wellbeing. I was completely in shock and I couldn’t believe that someone I loved did that to me.’

Effie said she felt ‘immense guilt’ about not coming forward sooner ‘because I feel that I might have been able to save others from becoming victims. By speaking out today, I hope to prevent others from falling victim to him in the future. I want other survivors of sexual assault around the world to feel empowered and know that they are heard, believed, understood, and loved.’

Hammer’s attorney Andrew Brettler dismissed the allegations, arguing that Effie’s ‘own correspondence with Mr. Hammer undermines and refutes her outrageous allegations’, as per The Guardian.

He said, ‘From day one, Mr Hammer has maintained that all of his interactions with [the accuser] – and every other sexual partner (will there be more accusers) of his for that matter – have been completely consensual, discussed and agreed upon in advance, and mutually participatory.’

Brettler added, ‘[Her] attention-seeking and ill-advised legal bid will only make it more difficult for real victims of sexual violence to get the justice they deserve.’

Earlier this year, Hammer described the claims as ‘bullsh*t’ after leaving leaving a film amid ‘vicious and spurious online attacks against me’.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/celebrity/armie-hammer-being-investigated-by-los-angeles-police-department-after-woman-claims-actor-raped-her-for-four-hours/?source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR30-g0IQt4AHtkGSZMy-PqOQryCpC4ehopU1tjJkX4c4t8HeQrHsX8OUr8

Habundia said...

Transcript of interview of the father of Maura Murray, from the docuseries 'The disappearance of Maura Murray'

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y1xu9S3oXk4hnwI50XL9ZNE6KY8tBSrQ/view?usp=sharing

My attempt for an analysis
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AFLopNRJgz31btoI-PO5S3J-ZaL55RM8/view?usp=sharing

Hey Jude said...

Poor Joe, and his family. Not worth a decent search around the vehicle that evening, just in case it was a person as the AG wasn’t able to state it was a deer? Not many deer wear glasses - can’t see him getting round that level of misunderstanding.

—-

The Police Chief who shot his wife in bed introduced himself by rank rather than just by name, too - also was ingratiating towards the 911 operator.