Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Statement Analysis Of Patriot's Owner: "One Sided Investigation"

Deflategate investigator: Don’t listen to Pats, I nailed Brady

Even when being deceptive, people struggle with their words. This is due to the speed of transmission.  They know they must say something but being deceptive is stressful, while telling the truth flows so quickly and easily because it is stored in memory.
Words reveal us.  This is universal.  

In this case, let's look at the statement of the Patriot's owner, in particular, given the context of this article, and in light that Tom Brady was indicated for deception when this story first broke.  

The owner said, "“The Patriots share in their [fans’] disappointment in how this one-sided investigation was handled.”

In his statement, he chose, "one-sided investigation" for his wording.  What caused him to choose these words?
Keep this in mind as you read the article:  

The NFL’s lead investigator into the Deflategate scandal came out swinging Tuesday, firing back at Tom Brady’s agent and the Patriots for questioning his independence and findings.
Manhattan attorney Ted Wells, whose report led to harsh punishmentMonday against Brady and the team, told reporters in a 30-minute conference call he was incensed his integrity had been called into question.
The report by Wells and his firm that determined it was “more probable than not” Brady knew footballs were being doctored for his benefit was about the facts and not the product of any anti-Patriots conspiracy, Wells insisted.
“All of this discussion that people at the league office wanted to put some type of hit on the most popular, iconic player in the league — the real face of the league — it just doesn’t make any sense,” Wells said of the probe, which resulted in Brady being suspended four regular-season games.

“It’s really a ridiculous allegation,” Wells added. “What drove the decision in this report was one thing — the evidence. I could not ethically ignore the import and relevancy of those text messages and the other evidence.”

The Patriots were fined $1 million and docked a first-round pick in 2016 and a fourth-rounder in 2017 in part because they didn’t cooperate fully with Wells.

Wells explained that lack of cooperation in a key moment in his conference call, saying the Patriots prevented him from speaking to locker-room attendant James McNally a second time after Wells had discovered a text message in which McNally — who handled the Patriots’ footballs before each game — referred to himself as “The Deflator.”

Not only did the Patriots balk at letting Wells speak to McNally a second time, but Wells said “they wouldn’t even tell [McNally] that I had asked to speak to him a second time.

Wells also confirmed Brady and agent Don Yee refused to allow him to see Brady’s text messages and emails related to the allegations, even after Wells said he wasn’t interested in anything else in Brady’s phone.

That lack of full cooperation from both Brady and the Patriots was cited by NFL vice president Troy Vincent in his letters to both for adding to the harshness of the penalties.

Wells said he decided to speak in the conference call, which was coordinated by the NFL, after being barraged with criticism from Yee and the Patriots.

New England owner Robert Kraft blasted the probe in a statement Monday night, saying the Patriots “share in their [fans’] disappointment in how this one-sided investigation was handled.”

Brady has announced plans to appeal and will likely seek an independent arbitrator, while the Patriots reportedly are so angry that Kraft is considering the nuclear option of suing the league.

Wells said the findings of his report, which took more than two months to complete and cost what he estimated as “millions of dollars,” stood on their own.

It is wrong to criticize my independence just because you disagree with my findings,” Wells said. “In my mind, the NFL certainly wasn’t hoping that I would come back with a report that would find that something happened wrong with the Patriots or Tom Brady. They wanted me to get to the bottom of the facts.

Wells added: ”The conclusions were not influenced in any way, shape or form by anyone in the [NFL] office.”

Wells also disputed the Patriots’ allegation the NFL was effectively running a sting on New England because the Colts had advised the league office of the deflation suspicions before the AFC Championship Game — but didn’t warn the Patriots.

Wells claimed NFL higher-ups “didn’t pay attention” to the warning email from Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson just days before the Patriots’ 45-7 rout in Foxborough, Mass.

The Patriots were all over me from Day One on why the NFL didn’t warn them [before the title game],” Wells said. “I didn’t find there was [a sting].”

Wells said he used equivocating language about Brady’s guilt because that is the language of non-criminal cases, civil suits and internal investigations, which don’t have as high of a burden of proof.
But just because his wording might look wishy-washy on paper doesn’t mean Wells thinks Brady might be innocent.
“If I were sitting on a jury … I would have checked the box that said, ‘Proven,’’’ Wells said, referring to the allegations against Brady.


John Mc Gowan said...

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3182: DeflateGate & Tom Brady's 1st Interview after the Wells Report - Body Language Tells (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

Boston Lady said...

Okay.. wait. If the NFL didn't pay any attention to the email, why were the Pat's balls called into question? That is crap.

Wells claimed NFL higher-ups “didn’t pay attention” to the warning email from Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson just days before the Patriots’ 45-7 rout in Foxborough, Mass.

Skeptical said...

“The Patriots were all over me from Day One on why the NFL didn’t warn them [before the title game],” Wells said. “I didn’t find there was [a sting].”

This statement makes the Patriots appear not only corrupt but stupid. In essence they said that if you all will tell us when you're going to inspect the balls, we won't do it or we'll do a better job of covering our tracks.

I've heard better reasoning from 5 year olds.

Tania Cadogan said...

off topic

The mother of Reeva Steenkamp, who was shot dead by ‘Bladerunner’ Oscar Pistorius, has spoken out against his bid for early release from prison.

The 28-year-old shamed athlete could be released in August – just 10 months after his conviction for model’s manslaughter.

June Steenkamp told her local paper in South Africa her daughter’s killer should not be freed so early into his five-year sentence.

'I don’t think it’s a good idea to let him back in society so quickly,' she told The Citizen. 'He shot my daughter through that door where she had no space to move or defend herself.

'One of the bullets blew her brains out, it is disgusting what he did to her...10 months is just not enough.'

Mrs Steenkamp, 68, has spoken in the past about forgiving Pistorius for taking her daughter’s life on Valentine’s Day 2013 – when he blasted her four times through the door of a locked bathroom at his home in the South African capital, Pretoria.

She has also said she does not want the double amputee to suffer behind bars, but that he must still be seen to pay for his terrible crime.

'Justice must be done, otherwise there will be chaos,' she told the newspaper.

Under the terms of his sentence, Pistorius’ sentence for culpable homicide – or manslaughter – could be converted to ‘house arrest’ for some or all of the remainder of his incarceration.

If prison bosses are minded to grant him home-based supervision, the Paralympian is expected to return the sprawling home of his uncle, Arnold Pistorius, with whom he lived following his arrest for Reeva’s murder up until his conviction in October last year.

The four-bedroom home where Pistorius killed the law graduate-turned-model was sold last year to help pay his hefty legal bill.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), which charged Pistorius with premeditated murder, has no powers to oppose such a move, even though they are seeking to have the runner’s murder acquittal overturned.

The views of Reeva’s family about his possible early release from prison are expected to be taken into account by the Department of Correctional Services.

Mrs Steenkamp, who runs a rural pub near the coastal town of Port Elizabeth with her ailing husband Barry, said she would oppose the idea if officials formally approached her for an opinion.

Last week, Pistorius’ lawyer Rohan Kruger, told South Africa’s Sunday Times he was confident his client would be released early from Kgosi Mampuru jail, where he is being held on the hospital wing.

The shamed track star wanted to work with children in an attempt to repay his debt to society, he said.

Mr Kruger said: ‘He will have to lift his head and take it on the chin. He took it on the chin when he got the verdict and he will do the same when he walks through the prison gates in August.

‘The parole conditions will be at their discretion: don't drink or do drugs, go to church.

'He'll have a psychological programme, an anger management course. They will set the parameters and he will keep to them.

‘Oscar is keen to become involved in assisting children in whatever opportunity will present.’

Tania Cadogan said...

Whether Pistorius is released to his uncle’s comfortable home or not in the coming months, there is a possibility that his jail sentence could be extended further, if the NPA’s appeal against his murder acquittal is successful.

The NPA is also appealing the length of sentence the sprinter was given for the culpable homicide conviction - prosecutors had asked Judge Thokozile Masipa for a ten-year jail term.

There was a brief glimpse of Pistorius’ life behind bars when a grainy video emerged from the prison which showed the athlete playing football with Radovan Krejcir, one of South Africa’s most infamous underworld figures who is a neighbour on the hospital wing.

In the film, the disgraced sprinter appeared to have lost a striking amount of weight.

There have been reports that Pistorius is refusing to eat food prepared in the prison kitchens, for fear of being poisoned.

Instead, the star of the London Olympics survives on tins of food from the jail tuck shop, which he buys with his modest inmate allowance as a low-risk category A prisoner.

Read more:

Tania Cadogan said...

Another off topic

A woman charged with killing her fiancée has admitted she tampered with his kayak and relished watching him sink to his death in the Hudson River, police said.

Angelika Graswald, 35, initially told police she had tried to save Vincent Viafore, 46, when he capsized in the choppy water near Poughkeepsie, New York, on April 19.

But according to detectives, her story became inconsistent - and witnesses said they saw her push him in.

Now, following intense cross-examination by detectives, former bartender Graswald has admitted to plotting Viafore's death, and told police 'it felt good knowing he was going to die' because she felt trapped in their relationship, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

The news comes as it emerges Graswald stood to land $250,000 in insurance pay-outs after the death of her long-term partner Vincent Viafore, 46, as she was a signatory on his two life plans - and had allegedly been planning what to do with the money.

On Wednesday morning at 11am police recovered a male body from the river, almost a month after Viafore disappeared on April 19. An autopsy is set for Thursday morning and the identity of the body has not been confirmed.

Hours later, Graswald appeared before prosecutors in Orange County, New York, to have her bail set at $3 million.

'She stated that she tampered with the victim's kayak...she knew it would contribute to his death,' Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl told the court.

Mohl added that Graswald knew she was the first name on Viafore's two life plans and 'talked about what she could do with the money', estimated to be around $250,000.

Graswald's lawyer Richard Portale has hit out at the statements delivered by prosecutors on Wednesday, insisting his client was coerced into making a statement that was twisted into a confession.

He told the Poughkeepsie Journal: 'What's changed that has caused the government to now characterize my client's statements as a confession?'

Portale added that Graswald is 'very confident sounding, so even if she doesn't understand what you're saying, she'll answer in an affirmative tone.'

The Latvia-born Poughkeepsie resident was arrested on April 30, 11 days after her kayak trip with Viafore.

In her initial report and later in social media postings, Graswald had described watching Viafore fall into the water after his vessel capsized during their outing near the town of Cornwall-On-Hudson.

She reported that she had been unable to help her fiancé - whom she lived with - and had also fallen into the water. A boater later rescued her, and she was treated for hypothermia.

Nearly two weeks later,Graswald was charged with second-degree murder and police said there were 'inconsistencies' in her story.

Portale believes authorities rushed to judgement as Graswald was active on social media, sharing photos of herself and Viafore along with videos of where the couple first met, shortly after his death.

Graswald told People earlier this month that she felt tricked by police and made a mistake when she continued to talk to them after being read her Miranda Rights to remain silent.

Tania Cadogan said...

She said that she and Viafore had been planning an August beach wedding and that she had hoped to have children with him.

Graswald formerly lived in Connecticut, where newspaper accounts show her winning honors in local photography contests. Records show she married twice there and divorced at least once.

In the days leading up to her arrest, Graswald had been active on Facebook, sharing cellphone videos of her playing with a kitten and uploading a dozen romantic photos of her and Viafore.

About four days after Viafore's disappearance, Graswald posted a striking image of her kayaking, accompanied by the caption: 'If only I could have paddled harder, dammit...'

Two days before her arrest she shared a picture of the happy couple at a lakeside cabin, accompanied by the caption: 'I miss you, my love...'

Just one day before her arrest, Graswald posted a cellphone video of herself driving with a friend to the Cornwall Yacht Club.

'What a beautiful day,' she casually remarked. Graswald then looks at the dashboard and takes note of the time: 9.22am. ' She added: 'Nine-Twenty Two is the date that we met.'

Read more:

Tania Cadogan said...

Yet another off topic

A Boston University professor who called 'white college males' a 'problem population' has said she regrets making the remarks.

Incoming black sociology professor Saida Grundy, whose comments were criticized by university president Robert A. Brown, had declared on her now-private Twitter account that 'white masculinity is THE problem for America's colleges,' among other anti-white tweets.

Ms Grundy said events in the United States over the past year have made 'the inconvenient matter of race' an unavoidable topic, but she expressed remorse over what she had said.

'I regret that my personal passion about issues surrounding these events led me to speak about them indelicately,' she said in a statement.

'I deprived them of the nuance and complexity that such subjects always deserve.'

Boston University continued to distance itself from Grundy's racially charged tweets on Tuesday as its president penned an open letter to the campus, saying the comments were 'hurtful.'

President Robert Brown acknowledged Grundy's right to hold and express her opinions but said her remarks unfairly 'typecast' certain groups of people. He stopped short, though, of acknowledging the comments were directed almost exclusively at whites.

'I do not say this lightly or without a great deal of consultation and soul-searching,' Brown's letter reads.

'I understand there is a broader context to Dr. Grundy's tweets and that, as a scholar, she has the right to pursue her research, formulate her views, and challenge the rest of us to think differently about race relations.

'But we also must recognize that words have power and the words in her Twitter feed were powerful in the way they stereotyped and condemned other people.'

The university, through a spokesman, had previously said it was 'offended' by Grundy's statements, many of which were posted online at and then elsewhere.

Critics decried the comments as offensive, racist and inappropriate for a professor preparing to teach at a large, racially diverse university.

But supporters said the comments weren't racist. They started the hashtag #IStandWithSaida and launched an online petition that notes the university, the largest in Massachusetts in terms of enrollment, is the place where the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. earned his doctorate.

'Racism extends to virtually every institution in American society — including higher education,' the petition reads. 'Calling Professor Grundy's tweets racist minimizes the very real effects of racism for people of color in the United States.'

Brown, the university president, said Grundy will report for work on July 1.

Read more:

John Mc Gowan said...


Robbie Williams And Wife Deny Sex Harassment
The star's wife allegedly disclosed "information about the nature and frequency of her sexual activity" and wandered around naked.

Robbie Williams and his wife Ayda Field say they will "strenuously" defend themselves after being sued by a former personal assistant, who claims he suffered sexual harassment while working for them.

The celebrity pair said Gilles De Bonfilhs' allegations are "entirely without foundation".

He launched legal action against the Angels singer and Ms Field over claims she sexually harassed him before he was fired, US showbiz website TMZ reported.

The US actress, 35, is accused of walking around in various states of undress and asking her assistant to comment on her body.

She also allegedly disclosed "information about the nature and frequency of her sexual activity," according to court papers filed in Los Angeles.

De Bonfilhs, who worked for the couple between October 2014 and January 2015, is suing both Williams, 41, and his wife, although there are no allegations listed against Williams in the lawsuit.

He claims his contract was "wrongfully terminated" and is reportedly asking for damages in excess of $25,000 (£16,000).

A spokeswoman for Williams said: "The claims being made by a disgruntled former employee, after he was sacked for serious misconduct, are entirely without substance.

"Any proceedings will be strenuously defended. There will be no further comment on the matter as it is in the hands of the lawyers."

The couple married in 2010 and have two children.

Williams, who found fame with Take That before embarking on a successful solo career, wed Ms Field in the grounds of his Beverly Hills mansion after four years together.

John Mc Gowan said...


Home intruders demand money from woman inside home

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department is investigating after a mother said she was attacked and robbed at knife point in her north Charlotte home Tuesday morning.

The woman told police she was asleep in her bed when she woke up to two women standing over her bed and demanding money. The woman said she and her 4-year-old daughter were the only people home at the time.

“I opened my eyes and the girl was on top of me,” the woman said. “I was trying to fight back. I felt the knife and she said, 'Do you want me to stab you with this knife?'"

The woman said the two women bound her hands with duct tape and again demanded money. She said all she could think about was her 4-year-old daughter, who she said was nowhere in sight.

“I was like, ‘Let me talk to my daughter,’” the woman said.

The home intruders let her talk with her daughter on the phone but wouldn’t let her see the girl until she had handed over money and other items, like electronics and clothing.

The woman told Channel 9 it wasn’t until the women left that her daughter told her where she had been.

“She told me they went to the playground,” the mother said.

No injuries were reported.

“They took clothes,” the woman said. “They even took her shoes that I just bought her. Everything, I don’t know how to explain that to a 4-year-old."

Channel 9 asked police about the women taking the child from her home and if they believe this was a random act. CMPD said they’re investigating and no arrests have been made.

C5H11ONO said...

So the Patriots are upset they were not "warned" before the game that the NFL was aware of Brady cheating by deflating the balls, and that way they could "re-inflate" the balls in order to comply - just for that one championship game? Why do you need to be warned ahead of time if you didn't do anything wrong? That's an admission in itself.

Lisa said...

Maybe they thought it was "one sided" because he was only interested in the truth? heh