Saturday, February 15, 2020

Faye Swetlik 911 Call


Analysis of the emergency call to report missing 6 year old Faye Swetlik. 

Expectation: 

The 911 (or 999) call is the first interview of an investigation. 

We hold to the expectation that the subject (caller) will:

1. Show priority of the victim; not self. 
2. Work with the operator (police) to facilitate the flow of information.  

It is, in a sense, an 'excited utterance' of an interview.  

3. Context Appropriate:  the caller is the biological mother. See Solomon for maternal instinct engaged. 

This should be compared to Patsy Ramsey's 911 call. 



 Lexington county 911 what's the address of your emergency? 

Mom: 16 Londberry Square,  I need to report a missing child. 

a. She answers the question
b. She uses the pronoun "I"
c. Her priority is to report a "missing child" -- She does not wait for another question, "What is the emergency?" but goes to her priority. 


Lexington PD: Repeat that address for clarification 

Mom: 16 Londonberry Square Cayce

SC Lexington PD: Okay, tell me exactly what's happening. 

Mom: We can't find my daughter. She was playing outside and now I can't find her. 

Here the mother begins with "we" which cause us to ask, "Who is also looking for her daughter?"

Note next "my" daughter uses possessive pronoun "my" which is expected.  

After introducing "my", not "our" daughter, the subject continues on this vein with:

"I can't find her", which is very strong. 


Lexington PD: How old is she? 

Mom: She is 6, she will be 7 in June. 

Lexington PD: I'm gonna stay on the line with you so you, so I'm gonna get Cayce PD on the line too, so don't hang up, okay? 

Cayce PD: Cayce 911 is your emergency police, fire, or medical? 

Hey Cayce, this is Lexington. I've got a lady at 16 Londonberry Square. Her 6-year-old was in the front yard and she can't find her now. 

Cayce PD: Alright, hold on. What's the number? Lexington PD: 16 Londonberry Square. I have her phone number and I'm going to stay on the line so it doesn't get disconnected. 

Cayce PD: you're on the line with Cayce, go ahead. What's your son's name? 

Mom: My daughter's name is Faye Swetlik

here we do not flag the pronoun "my" as above, because the PD used the pronoun "your" in the question. It does not negate its use, but it is influenced by the question.  

Cayce PD: What was she wearing? 

Mom: She was wearing polka-dotted rain boots, a flowered skirt (pink rose skirt), a black t-shirt that has a neon design on it. 

note the willingness to give details. This is expected in a helpful caller. 


Cayce PD: How long has she been gone? 

Mom: Last I saw her probably about an hour ago. 

Caller is taking this very personally.  This is expected from a biological mother. 


Cayce PD: How tall is she? 

Mom: She is 3 ft 10 

Cayce PD: How much does she weigh? 

Mom: 65 pounds

Cayce PD: Stay on the phone with me do not hang up. What's your name? 

Mom: My name is [redacted] 

Cayce PD: You last saw her in the front yard, you didn't see which way she went or anything like that? 

Mom: No, she was right in front of my front porch. 

Compare this language to the released statement by the family which was analyzed.  

Cayce PD: Okay, does she have a cell phone? 

Mom: No 

Cayce PD: Have you walked around and tried to locate her? 

Mom: Yes ma'am

Cayce PD: Okay, here's what I want you to do. I want you to stay in your yard, Okay? We have a unit out that has a dog just in case we need to track her, okay? We don't need you walking if you can stay close to the last place she was. 

Cayce PD: Do you have any idea where she would go? Have you looked in the back yard? 

Mom: Yes ma'am. I checked all the houses in my neighborhood and anybody that's actually answered is out looking for her too. 

Strong response, beyond the word, "yes"-- this indicates priority. 

Note also the additional info:  "and" with the information that followed it.  

She facilitated a search party.  

Cayce PD: Did she have a dog or anything with her? 

Mom: No. 

Cayce PD: Okay, my officer will be there in just a few minutes. 

Analysis Conclusion:

Veracity Indicated

The mother's priority is finding her daughter. 

She is truthful and she is helpful, going beyond the boundary of some questions in order to support her priority.  


The point of sensitivity is the emphasis of location.  

It is unknown who wrote the family statement, but the author's  sensitivity of location is consistent with the released family statement.  

3 comments:

Deandra said...

Peter,

Thank you for doing the 911 analysis. Excellent work as usual.

It is so important to have this confirmation of veracity since this case appears to be complicated, with Faye's body having been moved by someone shortly before it was discovered in the wooded area near her home. And also the discovery of a dead man in or near his home about 140 yards away from where FAye lived.

It is also difficult to come to terms with the fact that police spoke with the now deceased man when they were canvassing the neighborhood after Faye's disappearance. It seems there may be some missing piece of the puzzle, but last I read the dead neighbor is being suspected of being the killer...more info will be helpful as both Faye and the dead neighbor are having autopsies done today. If the dead neighbor is found to have killed himself that will answer a lot of questions.

Anonymous said...

I just read that evidence had been found in the dead neighbor's trash can and also that police had actually been in his house during the search for Faye. This makes things more puzzling because Faye's body had been moved to the location it was found at on day 3, so if the dead neighbor had killed her and police were in his house on day 1 or 2, where was Faye at that time?!

Anonymous said...

Hi all, could I please ask for your assistance to complete a quick analysis,this is from THE AGE newspaper taken from a TV interview said by a daughter who's father killed her mother. Thank you in advance!

"I saw her in the morning. I was getting ready to go to an internship and she was on her iPad looking through some styles she was going to order for the store," she said.

"She asked me for my opinion on the colours and I think I picked a blue or something like that. And then I said, 'I'm leaving now. I'll see you when I get back'."