Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Gannon Staunch: Mother's Statement





"I'm so thankful for all the outpouring of help this case has brought. My son is a very loving kid, he wouldn't want harm on anybody at all and it's so hard to think, 'Why is this happening to him?' I have no clue. My kid deserves to come home. My kid has a purpose, my kid has a life and is important to me and is important to everybody that is standing in this room."

Landen Hiott, mother 

It is a short statement --here is what we may glean from it. 

She began with the pronoun "I", indicating a strong psychological commitment to the statement. 

She expresses gratitude for the "outpouring of help" to find her son.

Note her pronouns show strong possession: "my son" and "my kid"

Note her initial statement after gratitude:

"my son is a very loving kid..." is in the present tense. The mother believes/hopes her son is still alive. 

The question in an open statement is very sensitive: 

"Why is this happening to him?" suggests that she is considering possibilities --something is on her mind. 

"I have no clue" is likely untrue---she likely has fears she may be suppressing. She has likely thought of many scenarios, including running away, kidnapping, etc.  From all of our Hollywood coverage of story lines of missing children, she may be seeking to put this aside, or have natural denial. 

"my kid deserves to come home" continues the theme of positive linguistic disposition that we see with "loving kid", "wouldn't want harm" "has a purpose", . 

"my kid has a life" states her belief that he is alive. 

The subject's priority is her son. 

 She wants to encourage more help in finding him. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huge difference btw mother and step mother.

Anonymous said...

Right?! Step moms statement is 10 minutes of:

“Me, me, me. Poor me. What about me? Me, oh yeah, ME! And I demand apologies from EVERYONE, but especially MY husband.

PS: Me.”

Joe said...

Peter, great analysis as usual.

Anonymous at 1:14

Your comment made me laugh.

PS: LOL

Nadine Lumley said...

This is absolutely and completely devastating. Her statement will haunt me now. I feel so sad. He had such a beautiful smile. God bless him and his mom.

😢