Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Suicide Post by School Principal


 

Christopher Christensen, 51, was the principal of William T. Newland Elementary School in Huntington Beach, Calif, for 22 years.  He committed suicide  days before he was scheduled to appear in court on two misdemeanor charges of battery and child endangerment. The charges stemmed from a domestic dispute between Christensen and his wife, Marlena. 

 Christensen had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

On the day of his death, Christensen posted a lengthy note on Facebook in which he proclaims his innocence, saying he got into a heated argument with his wife but denied violence. 


Here are some quotes from his post, in which he addresses the allegations.  Analysis follows the quotes. 

He admitted getting into an argument: 

"However, never in this exchange did I hit, slap, or hurt Marlena in any manner. Nor did I ever touch the girls (I never have and never will),” 


"never" and "ever" are labeled as either unreliable or not reliable for the sake or analysis.  Which distinction is used often gives us insight into the analyst's thinking. 

If an allegation is vague in terms of dating, the word "never" may be not reliable, but could still be truthful.  If the subject (accused) does not know the dating of the allegation, and did not commit the act, he cannot look back to a specific time period in memory.  

However, in this case, the incident is singular (meaning a particular date, particular acts and the memorable calling of the police) which means the subject is looking back (and describing the event) to a most unique day o which hormonal consequence (experience) will be elevated.  (This is why lying under oath is most popular via 'I don't recall').  

He does not say, "I didn't hit Malena" but that he "never" did---- with "never" expanding time to his 3+ years of being married.  This is to avoid the specific crisis date for which he was arrested and charged, and for which now, he will (at the time of the writing) commit suicide.  


"However, never in this exchange did I hit, slap, or hurt Marlena in any manner. Nor did I ever touch the girls (I never have and never will)

"hit, slap or hurt"

Besides the unreliable use of "never", he specifies "hit" and "slap,"  

Did he punch?

Did he kick?

Did he threaten?

Did he throw something at her? 

Is his denial being unreliable ("never")  deceptive

He will give us more to continue analysis. 


What was it like for the girls?  

" Nor did I ever touch the girls (I never have and never will)

We should consider that more will come out about his relationship with what appears to be his step daughters. 

Did he cause them to witness domestic violence? (the impact upon children can alter their lives)

Did he throw things at them, or in their direction?

His statement to "never will" is true (due to suicide) but its inclusion here may suggest that this statement, as an unreliable denial, is also deceptive. 


He stressed, saying he loved the girls “like my own.” 


Next, he turns to blame his wife.  He wrote that it was her anger that causes him to commit suicide, and that she tried to take back her initial report from police.  

“Unfortunately, Marlena’s anger got the best of her that night and she called the police, which landed me in jail that night. Yes, me! A man who has never hit or harmed ANYONE in his life!

He now expands time even beyond the 3 years of marriage to his whole life...or did he? 

The expansion of time is noted (its need) but who is the person who has "never hit or harmed ANYONE in his life"?

He has removed himself from the sentence.  He does not say, "I have never hit or harmed anyone in my life" but turns to

a.  "a man" 

b. "in his life."

This is a subtle psychological removal of his presence from the statement---a statement being made just before suicide.  (greater context) 

He first blames his wife and now he blames the legal system.  

He addressed his upcoming court appearance: 

However, the legal system is extremely flawed (especially against men/fathers) and it’s sickening how quickly and easily an innocent man can be thrown in jail based on zero evidence or proof!” 

“So, here I am … writing my final FB post to all of you,” he wrote.

"an innocent man" continues the same theme of psychological commitment.  You must interpret this as him, rather than one, facing death and addressing all in a manner of which he will not face judicial nor societal consequences for.  This is the time when many make a more broad confession, even if it includes minimization or justification.  

He continues to distance himself from his statement.  Pronouns and articles are instinctive: 

17 comments:

Hey Jude said...

Awful for the family.

Even his suicide note is abusive, and it’s all Marlena’s fault for being “angry”, imagine how things were at home.

It would be interesting to know if Marlena would agree that she called the police out of anger that night. It sounds by “that night” and “that exchange” that there were other comparable nights when she did not call the police. I think anyone would be more likely to call police to their home out of fear, rather than anger, so he’s minimising the effect his actions had on his family.

He sounds as if he had successfully coasted through life on his good public image and is angry at Marlena for breaking his image, despite he did it himself. He admits no fault, rather cruelly deflects blame onto Marlena on his way out. Addresses those he “loves and adores” without mentioning their names - so is that anyone, no one, just some of his children? It’s weak - embarrassing for his family.

It seems he believed in the praise received by his teacher persona, which couldn’t have been entirely him, either - not too self-reflective a person if he didn’t work or even acknowledge his imperfect self.

“Be kind”, advised the gentle school teacher, as he threw himself off a Disneyland car park. There must have been less memorable car parks. Was he punishing all the school children too?

Sad he wrote and published it - a sad thing by which to be remembered.


It seems so extreme to kill himself on misdemeanour charges - it does raise the question as to whether he feared more could be disclosed.


Hey Jude said...

* work on or even acknowledge*

Sharon said...

I agree that people usually call the police out of fear rather than anger, but in this particular instance is it possible that their fight may have been over his conduct towards his wife's daughters? If so, her anger is entirely justified. He frames her calling the police as a petty act of revenge when it may have been a mother's fury and desperation to protect her children.

frommindtomatter said...

However, never in [this] exchange did I hit, slap, or hurt Marlena in [any] manner.

He also used the word “this” which allows that he is thinking about other past incidents when making that statement. When speaking of hitting, Slapping, and hurting he adds “in [any] manner” which shows he has awareness that those acts can be committed in different ways. Perhaps his wife was in fear of what potentially could have happened based on past experiences and preemptively called the police.

A very tragic story, and suicide seems to be an extreme measure to take when balanced against the charges against him.

Adrian.

Hey Jude said...

Sharon - yes, the charge of child endangerment means Marlena had reason to fear for her children in some way - though it could be something like letting a child wander outside, or not strapping him/her into a car seat.

I was thinking ‘fear’ lead to the call due to the battery charge - that he had pushed or done some physical insult to Marlena - but I don’t know - maybe it was a child to whom that charge related, too.

Anonymous said...

"However, never in this exchange did I hit, slap, or hurt Marlena in any manner.
What caught my eye is the word: "exchange" which also means "trade" such as sexual favours for better grades, and what not. Is it possibility?

Hey Jude said...

Chris Christensen Facebook post


I hate when people leave this Earth with so many unanswered questions. So, I hope this provides some insight and perspective…
This is my wife, Marlena. Yes, you heard me correctly. Most of you don’t know this but we privately married 3 ½ years ago. Marlena and I love and adore each other and our relationship has been amazing…up until recently. Unfortunately, two weeks ago she and I got into a heated argument at home in front of the girls. Tempers were flared and strong words were exchanged between us. However, never in this exchange did I hit, slap, or hurt Marlena in any manner. Nor did I ever touch the girls (I never have and never will). I love the girls like my own and they know that, as does everyone else who truly knows me.
Unfortunately, Marlena’s anger got the best of her that night and she called the police, which landed me in jail that night. Yes, me! A man who has never hit or harmed ANYONE in his life! I think it’s safe to say that Marlena truly regrets making that call, because the events of that night have completely unraveled both of our lives. I am on the brink of losing my job, as I am out on administrative leave until my case is “resolved.” However, the legal system is extremely flawed (especially against men/fathers) and it’s sickening how quickly and easily an innocent man can be thrown in jail based on zero evidence or proof! In fact, take a look at the attached screenshots of Marlena’s message to my friend about the matter. She too, had no intention on having that night come this far. She knows I would never hurt her or the girls and she, too, has been trying to clear my name with little success. Again, the legal system is deeply flawed, to say the least!
So, here I am…writing my final FB post to all of you. I need you all to know that a gentle, kind, loving and sincerely good man has been destroyed by one unfortunate night. It really is unfortunate! This is NOT me! This is NOT something that I ever thought would happen to me.
With all of this said, I have truly loved educating and leading thousands of students and families as a principal in FVSD for the past 21+ years. I have made so many wonderful connections with families over the years and those who know me closely know how much I cared for my students, staff and families. Please remember me for all the good I brought to the world of education.
To all of my musician friends…thank you! Thank you for performing with me over the past 30 years! We have had a blast performing all over and creating such fond memories together. Music has been a wonderful outlet for me, as it has allowed me to have a “different & creative” world outside of my “day job” as a principal. I am sad to say that last night was my final performance! However, it went very well and I am proud that my final performance was a success. I have always loved performing, especially during the holiday season. I am going to miss it dearly!
There is so much more I want to say, but I am going to spend the rest of today reaching out to those closest to me to let them know how much I love them. This is not an ideal way to go out, but at least I get a chance to say some final words to those who I love and adore.
Take care everyone. Please, please, please be kind to one another! Treat each other with kindness and grace. There is too much anger in the world and people need to start treating each other better. What I’ve shared with you above is a prime example of how “anger” can really have long-lasting and extremely damaging effects on a person’s life.

Mike Dammann said...

He believed that making a lengthy post will overshadow facts.
He lived his life in such ways using verbal kindness to try to overshadow inner rage.
While his family knew his true nature, he maintained a different image until he became exposed.
This suicide note is his last attempt using a tactic that has worked in the past to attempt to piece together a web of illusion thick enough to keep people from recognizing him for who he was.

Anonymous said...

The California school principal who jumped to his death at Disneyland

At DISNEY LAND??!!!

Jumpers are screaming for attention, but at Disney Land?

Anonymous said...

Nor did I ever touch the girls (I never have and never will). I love the girls like my own and they know that, as does everyone else who truly knows me.

Did he abuse his step daughters, and was afraid of being prosecuted?

The FB post is the suicide note? And he’s listing the reasons he’s taking his own life?

Anonymous said...

Matthew 18
New International Version
The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven(A)
18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children,(B) you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.(C) 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.(D) 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.(E)

Causing to Stumble
6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.(F) 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!(G) 8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble,(H) cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble,(I) gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.(J)

Anonymous said...

“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Anonymous said...

Idaho Statesmen:
Neighbors to U of I homicides tell of party culture around home, unusually quiet night
One neighbor said he thinks he may have heard a scream in the early morning hours Sunday. Another said she heard nothing at all, which was uncommon for the area.
UPDATED DECEMBER 08, 2022 3:26 PM

Anonymous said...

In it’s entirety

Anonymous said...

Madison. These young people could have been my kids.
There is a psychopath out there that needs to be stopped!

I believe he has killed before

Anonymous said...

They should be alive. If anyone can put their murderer away they should use all their efforts.

Anonymous said...

On Reddit people suspect that the knife was dulled after much use explaining her, Kaylee ,gouging wounds. It’s in order. Order is important!