Friday, November 6, 2015

The Five Levels of Training

     
      The Five Levels of Statement Analysis Training
                                     by Peter Hyatt

There are five basic levels to Statement Analysis Training.  Each level builds on the ones prior, and requires more study and more reference point building which only comes through volume.  They are as follows:

1.  Deception Indicated  

2.  Content Analysis

3.  Leakage and Interview Strategy 

4.  Profiling

5.  Identifying the author of the Anonymous Letter


Here is a brief description of each:

1.  Deception Indicated.  

This is what is taught in law enforcement, local, state and federal, and is sometimes referred to as "Statement Analysis 101" where the basic objective is to find out if deception exists.  In many state police academies, graduates have this course and years later, have to be reminded that they took it as it is just one of so many things they had to cover.

This is also the goal of many one day training seminars:  enough work to indicate deception.  In some, there is more depth added where "Veracity Indicators" are sought, going past the basics of analysis. "Deception Indicated" is the focus of general "Lie Detection" books for the public.  The necessity of verifying truth generally does not have much depth unless it is covered in the 2nd day of the 101 introductory seminars.

The greatest value of these basic seminars is this:  there are always some in attendance who so love the work, that they seek out in depth training.

2.  Content Analysis

Content Analysis takes time.  A single page 8.5 x 11 statement will take hours.  There is not simply the measuring of its form and pace, but actual content is gleaned and this becomes hard work.  The analyst must know the principles,  but for this level, he or she must begin to grasp the psychology behind the principles.  The analyst must know which words are most fitting to which crime, for example, and will here say, "I know he did it; I want to know how he did it. "

3.  Leakage 

Leakage is the inadvertent release of information relevant to the investigation in which we not only have more information on what happened, but often the subject's motive and psychological need that the criminal act fulfilled for him.  This is where greed, for example, the number one motivator for theft, is not only evidenced, but is dealt with by justification within the subject's mind:  "I have been mistreated.  I have not been respected.  This is not theft; it is owed to me!"


Although leakage is classified as subjective information, it is the most useful portion of preparing for the interview and is the crux of "Analytical Interviewing" which is legally sound, exhaustive, and the analyst learns not only where to aim his questions, but how to word them.


4.  Profiling 

This is where a thorough psychological evaluation results matches the words used.


Every statement reveals a subject's priorities, background, personality and so on:  here the analyst has experienced success in level one, as confirmed by the polygraph results or the evidence, but now wishes to obtain confessions.

To obtain a confession you must know who is being interviewed.  At this level the analyst knows that certain types use certain words, and the strategy for the interview is given to him by the subject, himself.

This is where the most confessions or admissions are obtained.

It is only for experienced analysts. Those who work in this realm will find an increase in confessions which then becomes not only the ultimate validation of their work, but often affords them a rare opportunity for growth:

When one confesses, there is a 'meeting' of the two:  the confessor and the analyst.  They become a "we", together as the confessor often feels a level of closeness and respect for the analyst.  It is here that some guilty suspects are willing to share details of the crime and allow the analysts to question them.  This is an opportunity that must not be missed.  When you get a confession and the suspect has positive feelings towards you, ask:

a.  "Why did you confess to me?"   The guilty criminal is not likely in a position to flatter and what he tells you about yourself is critical information. 

b.  "Why did you confess now?" This will help you learn what built up inside of them, including some very specific details.  Thanks to LSI for these two brilliant questions.  I have learned a great deal about myself and about human nature from these two.  

Lastly, we have the single greatest element: 

c.  Ask the guilty suspect to review the analysis with you.  Let him correct your work.  Let him affirm your work.  You are very likely to hear the following:

"I knew that you knew what I did!"  This is the powerful element that obtains confessions:  the guilty believes (often, rightly so!) that you went into the interview knowing he did it!  Your confidence was real and it unnerved him as you asked repeated questions about the sensitive portion of their statement!  

I was once told, upon asking, "Why did you confess to me?" that the thief answered, "Because you're a nice guy."

What did I do that got this label?

Her written statement showed a craving for relevancy and respect.  Leakage showed domestic violence and a personal disregard of her by her family.  The interview strategy was not simply to be respectful, but to be reverential by anyone who was to conduct the interview.  In this case, it was assigned to me.  I am respectful to all for many reasons, including personal ones, but in this case, I refrained from all casual language and when she cursed me out, I apologized for angering her.  "A soft answer turns away wrath."

In other interviews, the statement showed that the subject would not budge unless he was confronted with his own words and although polite, the tone was decidedly stronger and produced an admission. (A "confession" without owning the moral element of the crime).  

Psych Evals done by qualified (and dedicated) psychologists have guided interview strategy, even to the point of predicting where the confession will come in the interview stage.  

5.  Identifying the author of the Anonymous Letter 

This is the deepest and highest level of Statement Analysis, and cannot be taught in seminars as it can only come through volume, experience and the analyst's own personal internal reference point of experience.  It is always done in a plurality of analysts, as one is too prone to miss, and it is to have an anonymous threatening letter and identify the writer.


This past summer, we had two samples in the news which were not the norm to be expected.  One, in particular, (see "Relentlessly Gay") was easy to spot with or without training, and the other  only mildly challenging (Long Island Racist Claim).  

These are the exceptions.  

Both of these were "fake hate" with the motive of money and/or attention.  The former was more deviant with strong emotional themes of intolerance and hatred; the very elements she had hoped to cash in on.  In that case, $43,000 had to be refunded lest she be arrested.  I add this to those of you who, on Facebook, first spotted elements of fraud, to remind you of the well deserved praise you received as many people, across the country, did not discern the deception.  

Anonymous Threatening Letters (or complaints) are rare, have specific statistical elements to them, and when the goal is realized, it is the one of the most thrilling accomplishments an analyst can have, save obtaining justice.

With Anonymous Threatening Letters  unable for publication, the analysts who have been involved in the work who successfully identified the writer, and received confirmation, they can attest to not only the hours and hours of pain-staking work, but the absolute thrill of completion.  Since this work is to be done with others only, you may do some research here on the blog as to why, and who should be in it.  Male Female inclusion is vital, and to pull in professionals of different backgrounds is the best route to success. 

If you would like to take our course, please visit the website, HYATT ANALYSIS 

You may host a seminar, or take the course individually.  Successful completion will give you access to ongoing training with professionals from around the country working live cases, as well as access to the Advanced Course when it is completed.  

Give your career the traction of success:  nothing justifies the hard work like success under scrutiny.  

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter - I have a bunch of recent (Within the last week) statements/comments from a FB thread regarding the disappearance of DeOrre Kunz Jr. Should I post them here for analysis or is there someway I can forward the file to you? It's 5 MS Word pages in standard font.

~Anon-y

Statement Analysis Blog said...

post them here. If they are lengthy, spread them out, labeling, "Part One" and "Part Two", etc.
thank you

Waldo said...

What about the Magic City Ice biracial couple in Birmingham? It kinda got dropped. Did you determine fake hate, real, or not enough info?

Waldo said...

http://statement-analysis.blogspot.com/2015/06/anonymous-hate-letter-sent-to-david-and.html?m=1

Anonymous said...

OT - DeOrre new statements... Part One... (Q=anon. persons asking questions. JM is Jessica Mitchell)

Q: … I guess what I would like to know is do you feel that the authorities are doing and have done everything they can to find your son...and do you believe the FBI is still involved in the search?

JM: They really don't tell us anything at this point.
-------

Q: ... There was a mention of a shovel that had been removed from the camper. Whats the deal on that? Who removed it?

JM: I have stated that in one of the other comments. Sorry I just don't want to post this again.
I'm gonna be off of Facebook for awhile

Q:...i just remembered something i saw...someone commented (not in this group) that isaac sent u a text sayin he needed to talk to u in person at his house and not on the phone and u called LE and told them he was requesting u to come over...if thats true thats some scary shit...if its not true then thats a good one to squash!!!

JM: No that's not true at all. I don't have his number and would never want to talk to him
----------
Q:… What do you all think of Isaac? Is there any possibility that he was involved or knows something?

JM: Issac has been sketchy from the beginning. That camping trip was fun for him and he's never helped search for my son

Q: Have you seen or talked to him since the camping trip???

JM: I haven't seen him since he left the campsite. But in my gut something just doesn't sit right to me with him. The way he acted makes me believe that he had some involvement in my Son's disappearance

(to be continued)

Anonymous said...

Part Two...

JM: The Friday morning we all got up started making breakfast. Aunt Flo showed up and I told my Fiancé we needed to go back to town so I could get some feminine products. After having breakfast we cleaned stuff up and talked about going up to the reservoir when we got back. Asked Grandpa if he needed anything while we were at the store and my Son, fiancé and I went to town. We did buy some Krispy Cream donut holes, potato wedges, candy, famine products and a few pops.

Q: for purposes of establishing a timeline, what was the time stamp on the receipt from the store?

JM: Around 12 that afternoon

Q: Did you see the strange man staring at DeOrr inside the store or outside of the store?

JM: He was inside the store

Q: And this was at Stage Stop, right?

JM: Yes

Q: does the trip to the store take about 45 minutes? Or is it less than that?

JM: Yes about 45 minutes. And I called 911 at 2:36pm. Yes at the stage stop

(to be continued)

Anonymous said...

Part Three...

Q: Why was the strange man sighting only shared 2 months later? Was this at the Sherriff’s request?

JM: Honestly with everything going on we were so numb and in a fog and thought that he might have wandered off. The police asked us if there was anyone in town that was watching us too closely mostly watching my Son and I remembered that guy… (someone says “sorry”, etc.) [Thank you and] nothing could ever prepare you for something like this to happen. Never in a million years did I think we'd go camping in a remote area and my Son come up missing… I just wish we could get some answers for him. He's so innocent and little my heart hurts so much to think about what he might be going through.

Anonymous said...

Part Four...

Q: Ok, and so you, your son, and fiance went in, bought those items, saw that creepy guy in the store, and then drove back up to the campground?

JM: Yes we paid for our stuff and I asked my Fiancé if he could take our Son so I could use the bathroom. I went into the bathroom and came out and noticed my Son and fiancé were outside by our truck. I walked out and picked my Son up and put him in the truck in his car seat. We then headed back up to the campground.
-----------

JM: Once Issac showed us where him and my Grandpa were fishing at while we were at the store he turned around and walked away from us so my Fiancé and I walked along the creek and I started fishing (my fiancé doesn't like to fish)

Q: So how long was it between the time Isaac turned around, and when you went back up to the camp fire? When he walked away, did he head up towards where your grandpa and DeOrr were?

JM: Yes he headed back towards the campground where my Son and Grandpa were

Q: So between the time that Isaac walked away, and between the 911 call, you didn't see him?

JM: Not once

Q: And you also didn't see him between the 911 call at 2:26pm and 4:00pm? Where was he when law enforcement brought him back to the campsite?

JM: I saw him right after I called 911 at 2:36pm so about 2:40pm is wh I saw him and then I didn't see him again until search and rescue found him and brought him back to the campsite. He was on the other side of the creek when they found him

(to be continued)

Anonymous said...

Part Five...

JM: He was down by the creek fishing, I didn't see him again after I called 911. While searching I had been down by the creek trying to find my Son and never saw Issac there. My gut from day 1 is that he had something to do with my Son's disappearance.

Q; Do you think he had time to do something? Was he out of sight for an extended period of time just before or right after it was noticed that your son was missing?

JM: Yes I searched the creek when I noticed my Son was missing and it was almost an hour before I saw him, then after I called 911 at 2:36pm I didn't see him again until after search and rescue got there and brought him back to the campground around 4pm. I've felt that from day one when my Son went missing and his demeanor wasn't right. It was a "fun" camping trip for Issac. I couldn't imagine acting like nothing was going on if I was camping with someone and their child came up missing.
----------

JM: Yes we did have our dog she was tied up most of friday because she didnt like issac. my Grandpa also had his dog on a leash. my dog was with us when we were at the creek though she never barked or anything though. After we realized my Son was missing her attitude changed and she didnt act like herself and completely shut down like she saw what happened. she wouldnt eat or drink anything until sunday

Q: Oh poor doggy, that's so sad. Wish she could talk.

JM: I do too! They are best friends so she wouldn't have left his side
----------

JM: I will always keep the truth out there because we don't have anything to hide and anyone that was involved in the disappearance of my Son will face criminal charges. I don't care who they are. My Son deserves that. And if someone took his life we WILL find out and they will be punished to the highest extent because my Son deserves to live a full and happy life. His life isn't anyone's to take away
----------

Q: I also saw a question posted that wasn’t addressed and i thought it was a really good question. Did LE or SAR confirm seeing any ATV tracks around the area? Any shred of evidence that someone was close by? Would an ATV leave track marks?

JM: They didn't say anything about tracks or anything to us. They have kind of kept us out of the loop on a lot of things

(The End)

Anonymous said...

There it is again. " I called 911 at 2.36". Why does she keep saying that? It was 2.28 and 4 seconds according to the time stamp at the beginning of the 911 call. Is her phone 8 minutes fast? I don't understand her, oddly specific, mistake with the time.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

End of Part 4 -
Q: And you also didn't see him between the 911 call at 2:26pm and 4:00pm? Where was he when law enforcement brought him back to the campsite?

JM: I saw him right after I called 911 at 2:36pm so about 2:40pm is wh I saw him and then I didn't see him again until search and rescue found him and brought him back to the campsite.

but, now..

Beginning of Part 5 -
JM: Yes I searched the creek when I noticed my Son was missing and it was almost an hour before I saw him, then after I called 911 at 2:36pm I didn't see him again until after search and rescue got there and brought him back to the campground around 4pm.

Anonymous said...

She can't say DeOrr's name.

Does JM really think the dog saw what happened? Weird.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

No mention of the phone charger.

Juliet said...

Who's Flo?

Anonymous said...

A visit from Aunty Flo (flow) is a euphemism for menstruating.

klv said...

Thanks for posting this. It really is the first time I've heard that IR had opportunity. I wish he'd do an interview!!

Peter, if I were in a profession that could use SA, I'd take your course in a heartbeat :)

klv said...

Her relating of times & sequence of calling 911 then not seeing Issac is a bit jumbled, but allowing for writing skill deficits, her timing is consistent-- "almost an hour" to "around 4pm". I imagine she starts her timing from when she got OFF the phone with 911.

I'm still on the fence about Jessica, and whether she even knows now what happened. If she does though, this interview obviously means to throw Issac under the bus.

LisaB said...

I have always been interested in Titanic "lore". In reading a book recently that discussed the way the news media disseminated information. Apparently there was an early report that all passengers had been saved and Titanic was being towed to port. Captain Haddock was cited as the source of the rumor, and here is his response:

“Captain Haddock of the Olympic today positively and emphatically denied that he wireless message which the operator at the Cape Race station says was picked up by him, saying that the Virginian was towing the Titanic, was sent from his vessel.”“I never had any information to that effect,” said Capt. Haddock, “and the intimation that it was sent by me to the Cape Race man is an absolute injustice. I do not know from whom he could have received that message.” The story that I sent it is a flagrant invention. As soon as I heard of the disaster from the Carpathia I dispatched the news by wireless to New York. That was on Monday afternoon.”“The Olympic” the captain continued, “first heard the Titanic’s call for aid about twenty minutes after the mishap had occurred. It came through the “Celtic” and we never heard direct from Capt. Smith. Five hundred miles separated the Olympic and Titanic and utilizing every pound of steam, the Olympic pressed forward at a pace never before steamed by her- between 24 and 25 knots per hour.”

He never issued a reliable denial.

klv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
klv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

#5 Made me think of this story I just read in The (Lewiston) Sun Journal:
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine/2015/11/06/bangor-lawyer-faces-phone-harassment-charges-call-jonathan-labonte/1815413

Juliet said...

Anon @ 6.15 - lol, thanks - I haven't heard of that one - and there I was thinking some Aunt Flo must have turned up in a Chevy, and Jessica must have wanted an excuse to get away from her for a while. :)

Boston Lady said...

Hi Peter,

I'd love your analysis of Ben Carson's response to being accused of lying. I don't see any strong denial in his response.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/11/06/carson-responds-questions-about-his-west-point-claim-violent-past

In the wake of a bombshell report that he fabricated a story about his acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Dr. Ben Carson appeared on "The O'Reilly Factor."

Carson explained that he excelled as an ROTC student in Detroit and was told that he could easily be accepted in the prestigious military academy.

He said he probably could have better clarified in his book that he never formally applied or was accepted.

"I told it as I understood it," Carson said.

As for recent accusations in the media that he fabricated parts of his compelling life story - including that he had a "pathological temper" as a young man, almost stabbed a close relative and nearly hit his mother with a hammer - Carson stood by his claims.

O'Reilly said he's going to take Carson at his word, asking, "You're not going to let me down, are you?"

"Of course not," Carson said. "Lying, I believe, is a grave sin, and there's just no way I would be sitting here lying about something like this."

John Mc Gowan said...

Anon @November 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for your transcript

John Mc Gowan said...

OT Update:

Casey Anthony's former attorney sent to federal prison in fraud case

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/casey-anthony/os-casey-anthony-todd-macaluso-fraud-20151103-story.html

Anonymous said...

Quoting linked article:
"'Of course not," Carson said. 'Lying, I believe, is a grave sin, and there's just no way I would be sitting here lying about something like this.'"
~~~~

What was that about our words betray us or something?

And we have an SA grand slam:
-- No reliable denial (no denial at all)
-- Declaring God's support
-- Further weakened by qualifiers
('I believe' 'just' ' no way' 'something like')
-- Body position; he's sensitive his exposed
lies are military-related.

Statement Analysis Blog said...

Karen,

interesting article.

As I read the quote, perhaps it is me, but I don't think a direct threat was made. It is one angry Democrat yelling at a Republican and it is stupid, but does the caller actually threaten the life of the recipient?

It is not something like, "I am going to shoot you dead!", instead, a general warning. Some parts I do not understand.

I think the Republican's weak assertion about it reveals an opportunity rather than one fearing a threat.

We live in an age where everyone is offended by everything, which would not be an issue, except that being "offended" is the best way to silence free speech.

There are now too many topics that people fear to criticize today to call this a free society.

Peter

Statement Analysis Blog said...

I will address the Ben Carson scholarship statement in a separate post, including the headline, "Ben Carson Admits Lying" that is a nationally published article.

S/A gets to the truth.

Peter

Anonymous said...

There should be LOTS of details surrounding the last time JM saw DeOrr and the terror of realizing he was gone. There are none. Her language is most unexpected , as much as for what she doesn't say as for what she does say. eg. Her son's name.

Or this:
JM: "...when I NOTICED he was gone". Noticed?

DeOrr did not go missing from the campground at Timber Creek. DK and JM give themselves away every time they speak. I hope they keep talking. There will come a point where the inconsistencies, fabrications and prevarications will cause their house of cards to collapse.

What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Anonymous said...

Things that make you go "hmmmmm".

Can you follow this?

JM: Once Issac showed us where him and my Grandpa were fishing at while we were at the store he turned around and walked away from us so my Fiancé and I walked along the creek and I started fishing (my fiancé doesn't like to fish)

Q: So how long was it between the time Isaac turned around, and when you went back up to the camp fire? When he walked away, did he head up towards where your grandpa and DeOrr were? ( DAMN COMPOUND QUESTIONS! - luckily JM told us in the interview that it was no more than 10minutes from the time they last saw DeOrr to the time they "figured he was gone".)

JM: Yes he headed back towards the campground where my Son and Grandpa were

Jessica pointed to where she walked down the incline again to search for DeOrr and passed Isaac returning from the creek. She asked Isaac if he’d seen her son, that he was lost, etc., but Isaac didn’t answer, went around her, and walked back up to the campground.

This is like one of those "spot the difference"games. Can you spot the difference?
Let me get it straight. Isaac shows them where to fish, then goes back to GGP at the campground.
10 minutes later JM and DK go back to GGP at the campground and discover baby DeOrr missing.
JM goes back down to the creek to look for DeOrr and PASSES Isacc RETURNING from the creek.

Good old Isaac. Defying laws of physics to be in two places at the same time.

Also, I think I'll call bullshit on Isaac totally ignoring a question about DeOrr from JM and walking around her.

As if.

Of all the things that didn't happen that day, that didn't happen the most.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 8:00, I like how you think.

Nadine Lumley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.