Saturday, October 19, 2013

Shaniya Davis Mother Pleads Guilty



Shaniya Davis' mother was indicated for deception in her statement to police about her then missing child.  She sold the 5 year old for sex.  The article claims she "apologized" in court.  Technically, an "apology" means to explain away, though it is typically interpreted as repentance or regret.  Note her words in quotes. Note her claim about her motherhood.


The mother of a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl who was murdered almost four years ago will spend at least 17 years in prison after pleading guilty Friday to several charges in her death.
Antoinette Nicole Davis, 29, entered Alford pleas to second-degree murder, human trafficking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense, felony child abuse with prostitution, child abuse involving a sex act, sexual servitude, indecent liberties with a child and conspiracy to commit sex offense of a child. She was sentenced to between 210 and 261 months in prison.
An Alford plea allows a defendant to plead guilty, while maintaining his or her innocence, because there is sufficient evidence to find him or her guilty. The plea deal, which included the dismissal of a first-degree rape charge, heads off a trial that was scheduled to begin Oct. 28.
Shaniya Davis was reported missing from her Fayetteville home on Nov. 10, 2009. Her body was found six days later in an overgrown field on the Lee-Harnett county line, and an autopsy determined that she had been sexually assaulted and suffocated.
Mario Andrette McNeill, 32, was convicted in May of kidnapping and assaulting Shaniya before killing her, and he was sentenced to death.
Davis apologized to Shaniya's father, Bradley Lockhart, in court Friday, saying she had been too proud to let his family care for their daughter.
"I want to say I did the best I could with my children," she said. "I never said I was a perfect mother, but I was a good mother. I did what I had to provide for them. I did what I had to to make sure they were alright. I didn't have any help from anybody."
Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons tersely disagreed.
"You could have saved your daughter's life, and you did not. You had the time, the opportuity and the means to save Shaniya's life, and you did not," he said. "You are not a good mother. This did not have to happen."
Ammons ordered her to register as a sex offender for 30 years and suggested that she receive psychological counseling in prison.
Defense attorney D.W.Bray said Davis always felt morally responsible for what happened to Shaniya.
Lockhart said he still grieves for his daughter but said he forgave Davis a long time ago and that he knows Shaniya did as well.
"Maybe you can take this time and dig deep within you and help others by sharing your story," he told Davis.
The hastily arranged plea followed a pre-trial motions hearing Friday morning in which Ammons denied an attempt by the defense to keep Davis' statements to police out of her trial.
Bray argued that investigators browbeat Davis over four days of questioning about Shaniya's disappearance, and they never advised her of her rights to remain silent or to confer with an attorney. On the fourth day, he said, she finally "broke."
"I gave her to him to cover $200. He was only supposed to have sex," a sobbing Davis told investigators at the time.
Cumberland County District Attorney Billy West said McNeill previously lent Davis $200 to buy food and pay for a hotel room when she and her children were homeless. Information in an autopsy report claimed the debt to be drug-related, but West said that was incorrect.
McNeill came to the Fayetteville mobile home park where Davis lived on Nov. 10, 2009, to have sex with someone else, West said, but when that fell through, he went to Davis' home and demanded that she either pay him the $200 or have sex with him.
When Davis refused, McNeill took Shaniya instead, West said, adding that investigators never believed her claims that she tried to stop McNeill from taking her daughter.
A feces-covered blanket found in a trash can outside Davis' home suggests that Shaniya was sexually assaulted inside, West said.
The rape charge was dismissed against Davis because McNeill was acquitted of that charge, which would have made it difficult to convict her, West said. Also, prosecutors reduced a first-degree murder charge against Davis to second-degree murder, he said, because they didn't feel they had enough evidence to obtain a first-degree murder conviction.

21 comments:

Apple said...

Just when I thought this case could not get any worse. The details are horrifying.

S + K Mum said...

I hate when people say 'I know I'm not perfect' ugh, as if being an imperfect parent justifies doing something like this!
I sure hope she spends a lot more than 17 years behind bars.

RIP Shaniya.

Masquerade said...

She thinks she's a good mother? She's not even a good human being. :'(

Jen said...

So her story is that this guy is a charity giving guardian angel one day, who gives her and her children shelter when they are homeless, and food when they are hungry...yet, the same guy demands his charity repaid by sex with a child?

"I gave her to him to cover $200. He was only supposed to have sex," 

-These words are horrifying. They also contradict her story that he 'took' the girl against her will when she refused to sleep with him. She plainly states she 'gave her to him', but he was ONLY supposed to have sex. In what world does a good mother (or an animal for that matter) offer their child up for torture to save themself? I'm ashamed to share the DNA that makes up a human being with this lower life form.

Jen said...

So her story is that this guy is a charity giving guardian angel one day, who gives her and her children shelter when they are homeless, and food when they are hungry...yet, the same guy demands his charity repaid by sex with a child?

"I gave her to him to cover $200. He was only supposed to have sex," 

-These words are horrifying. They also contradict her story that he 'took' the girl against her will when she refused to sleep with him. She plainly states she 'gave her to him', but he was ONLY supposed to have sex. In what world does a good mother (or an animal for that matter) offer their child up for torture to save themself? I'm ashamed to share the DNA that makes up a human being with this lower life form.

sidewalk super said...


this creature should have been sentenced to sterilization as a condition of being allowed to live.

dadgum said...

This makes me sick..

Trigger said...

I agree, Jen

Davis was not a good human being. She was a cruel woman who cared nothing for her five year-old child. All she cared about was drugs.

What kind of monster offers up her child for a drug debt to another monster?

Davis got high and Shaniya got death by torture.

"I was too proud to ask for help" I don't believe this lame excuse. Davis was too dependent on drugs and the money that she got for aid for her children. Her normal motherly instincts had been seared away long before Shaniya was born.

What a cold hearted attitude. She didn't expect her daughter to die from the rape because it was "just for sex."

Does that mean that Davis thought that if Shaniya had endured the "sex" then she could continue to support Davis' drug habit by having "sex" with the drug supplier whenever?

Is this how a good mother thinks and acts? No, not ever.

elf said...

So the dude (McNeil) came and demanded repayment or sex with the mother but she said no and gave her 5 year old daughter to him for sex instead?!? And he was ONLY supposed to have sex with A LITTLE KID?!? Wtf?!?
Yea. That mangy b!tch 'wants' to say she did the best she could-but she can't because she knows that wasn't the best she.could do. And she 'did what she had to to make sure they were alright'. Obviously not because shaniya wasn't alright. Its not like the egg donor got caught shoplifting food for her kids smh. That wasn't even.an apology in that quote! She wasn't to proud to ask for help the dumb b!tch was to guilty to ask for help!
I hope one of those women in prison that got taken away from their babies shanks her. There is no room on this earth for people like her.

Masquerade said...

It's disgusting to me that she even referred to what happened to her daughter, and what she gave her away for, was "sex". A 5 year old does not "have sex". She's disgusting!

This case is so infuriating, I don't think I can read about it anymore!

Rest In Peace Shaniya. ♥ The angels will forever comfort you. The monster who was supposed to protect and comfort you can never hurt you again.

Anonymous said...

So their we have it folks, you plead guilty to 9 VERY SERIOUS offenses and you end up getting about 1.5 years per each offense. Where as it should have been about 10-20 years per each offense. This woman is another one who is literally getting away with murder of her own tiny child.

They do not say it, but at 17 years I would guess she will spend just a little over half of it in jail before being paroled. So her daughters violent and horrible death will simply put a damper of a mere 8.5 or so years on her life.

200 bucks...and of course it was all spent on food and shelter, /rolls eyes






MsCabinFever said...

She "wants" to say she did the best she could with her children, but she can't.
In the next breath she claims to be a "good mother". Can you imagine what a "bad mother" looks like in her head?
She did what she had to "make sure they were alright"? It's shocking to me this even came out of her mouth.

This case will haunt my mind forever.

Carnival Barker said...

I have purposely avoided reading about this case because the details are too horrifying, so forgive my ignorance, but how the hell was Mario McNeill ACQUITTED of the rape charge??

Anne said...

This should have been a double death penalty case. The whole situation is horrible. This woman should not ever be allowed in society.
The little girls biological father, I hope, has a very good reason for allowing his child to be homeless and not taking her in and checking on her everyday.
Such a disgusting story of neglect and abuse.
I just can't think of any excuse for the mother of this beautiful little girl to ever be out of jail.
There are crimes that happen that are so horrible, it's gut wrenching.

Anonymous said...

Carnival Barker said...

I have purposely avoided reading about this case because the details are too horrifying, so forgive my ignorance, but how the hell was Mario McNeill ACQUITTED of the rape charge??

-----------------------------

His DNA wasn't found on Shaniya.

http://www.wral.com/fayetteville-man-guilty-of-kidnapping-killing-shaniya-davis/12478628/

Carnival Barker said...


@ Anon 2:33,

Thank you for the link. I hesitated before I read it because I find with cases like these that the imagery takes too long to fade in my mind's eye and the anger takes even longer to fade from my heart.

That being said, I read the article and I'm still confused. He was convicted of sexual offense of a child, indecent liberties with a child, human trafficking and sexual servitude, but not rape???? Why? Did he use a condom, so he's not guilty of raping her??

I'm starting to think with all of these recent not-guilty verdicts rendered to overwhelmingly guilty people that our "justice" system needs a MAJOR overhaul.

Anonymous said...

so awful.

the mother's story doesn't gel. a mother wouldn't give her daughter for sex for two hundred in place of herself -- a mother would give herself first if that was the choice before her. a mother who is not a child abuser/murderer.

Unfortunately I think its not all that uncommon for mothers to prostitute their daughters. Not uncomon - in the range of types of abuse.

I hold the mother accountable AND the father accountable, it was clear he had willfully left his daughter in daqngerous hands.

Rose said...

I just cannot get over the vile things people will do just to get drugs. This woman at least needs to be kept in prison past menopause. She is a very dangerous person. IMO she is more dangerous than the men she pimps her babies too, as she has a positive obligation to protect her children from such people.

And Trigger, I agree. She was not "too proud" to ask for help, she was simply too skanky, too evil, and too addicted to give a damn about her children.

Shelley said...

How does the father forgive her?

I would NEVER forgive anyone who harmed or allowed my child to be harmed.


I would want them to suffer and if aquitted, honestly, I think I would take matters into my own hands.

Especially since I have just one child and would not have others that would need me.

I would raise money to offer for their head.

I am sorry. I just do not get all the "forgivness" in cases that a child has suffered so much.

These people deserve a painful death. Nothing more.

Like John Ramsey saying few days after his daughters brutal death "I am not angry, I just want to know why"

Why? People are evil!

Why does not change it.

I would want them to suffer.

Natalie Holloways mom at one point said she wanted to "rip the skin off his face" in regards to Joren who is likely her daughters murderer.

Now that is what I expect from a parent.


But this dad, who has forgiven her, also didn't make sure his child was cared for. Clearly.

I know I will never be in a position where I did not have custody of my child, but if I was in a position where I did not, I would know everything goign on. I would know anyone they brought around my child. I would not just assume they were fine or hope for the best.

My husband has a son from another relationship and I am even always on his case about meeting the moms boyfriend, knowing who he is. She told him once "its not your business who I date" and I told him, if she brings him around your son, it most certainly is your business.


And referering to your other post about raising evil, I wonder what this moms own childhood was like.







Lemon said...

I agree with Apple.

Anonymous said...

Shelly, to some people forgiveness is not accepting what the person did to be 'ok' but rather that you refuse to allow yourself to be tortured over what someone else has done. The biological father was guilted into letting Shania go with the birth mother. He said that she had put on a good show of cleaning up her act and wanting a mother-daughter relationship with her child and so he allowed her to have custody. I strongly suspect this woman is a sociopath and they are very charming and convincing when they want to be. I personally would feel physically ill at having made such a terrible mistake in trusting such an evil bitch. I'm literally gagging at her statement that she was a 'good mother who did the best she could.' If by 'good mother' and 'did the best she could' you mean someone so evil that they sold their own little girl into slavery for $200, then sure. Anon J.