Forty-six individuals and at least 38 communities in Maine are listed in a Los Angeles Times database recording incidents of suspected or proven child abuse or molestation involving Boy Scouts of America members.
The database was augmented Thursday by the court-ordered release of BSA files used to keep records of people blacklisted by the organization for suspected or proven child abuse and sexual offenses.
Those files cover 1,247 cases of suspected child molestation or abuse nationwide from 1965 through 1985. The newspaper added those to previously amassed files from 1947 to 2005 to form a database of more than 5,000 cases.
Marshall Steinmann, executive director of Maine’s Katahdin Area Council — the Boy Scouts of America’s local chapter — referred all media inquiries to the national council.
“We as a local council are chartered by the national organization and we have to abide by what they say,” said Steinmann.
A statement released by the Boy Scouts of America through Steinmann said the files are “a key method used to keep Scouts safe. Essentially, the files are a list of people who do not meet the BSA’s membership standards because of known or suspected abuse or other inappropriate conduct either inside or outside of Scouting.”
Steinmann added only that it is his understanding that the ineligible-volunteer files were a “pre-emptive or proactive” program by the Boy Scouts of America.
The Los Angeles Times database contains information on 5,000 men and a few women who were expelled from the BSA between 1947 and January 2005 for suspicion of sexual abuse.
A nationwide map points to the towns and cities in Maine referred to in the files. In all, files on 46 individuals are listed as being connected to at least 38 locations in the state. Only three of the individuals are named. The rest are referred to by unique numbers.
The following towns and cities are listed: Van Buren, East Blackstone, Woodland, Caribou, Mars Hill, Patten, Medway, Guilford, Lincoln, Lincoln Center, Greenville, Shirley Mills, Orono, Bangor, Brewer, Bucksport, Ellsworth, Wellington, North Anson, Farmington, Phillips, Wilton, Rumford, Livermore Falls, Winthrop, Hallowell, Lewiston, Brunswick, Lovell, Bridgton, Casco, North Windham, Gorham, Westbrook, South Portland, Saco, Kennebunk and Biddeford. Another location listed as “Airam” on the database map does not exist in Maine.
The files detail banned individuals affecting members of 52 different Scouting units in Maine.
Three of the 46 files — originating from Casco, Hallowell and Westbrook — included documentation online.
Those cases involved men who were denied registration and permanently banned from the BSA: William Boyd Brown of Westbrook in 1977, Alfred J. Conrad of Augusta in 1984 and Fred A. Cram of Casco in 1984.
Brown was listed as a 34-year-old married man working as a reserve policeman and a counselor for the University of Maine in Portland. Documents show disagreement over whether to register him as a Scoutmaster on probationary status despite the fact he was convicted of fondling a 14-year-old girl in 1977 by a Cumberland County jury. He received a 90-day suspended sentence and one year of probation.
Cram, 32, was convicted of unlawful sexual contact in Cumberland County Superior Court in December 1983 for an incident in which “he picked up some youngsters to go to camp, but ended up in a motel with them,” according to official BSA executive correspondence. He was given a two-year prison sentence with all but 120 days suspended.
Conrad was given a five-year prison sentence for a morals and sodomy charge in 1982, according to the BSA documents. He had not been officially registered with the Pine Tree Council since 1979.
None of the three men currently appears in the state of Maine’s sex offender registry.