Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blade Runner: Premeditated Murder


Premeditation, steroids and possible love triangle...

bold type:   statements from Pistorius for analysis. 



The statement denied Pistorius had deliberately killed Steenkamp “in the strongest terms," adding that the athlete was "deeply in love'' with her, according to Reuters.
"I had no intention to kill my girlfriend," the statement said.
Intentions change.  
"I heard a noise in my bathroom. ... I felt a sense of terror. ... I believed that someone had entered my house. ... I grabbed my 9mm pistol," it said.
Here we find the emotions at the critical, high point of the statement:  a signal that they are placed there artificially.  Humans take time to process emotions and we often find the emotions in the "after" portion of a statement.  
“As I did not have my prosthetic legs on I felt extremely vulnerable. I had to protect Reeva and myself. ... I had limited mobility on my stumps,” it said.
Note that this attempts to portray him as a hero, working only on his stumps, he had to protect Reeva. 
Pistorius’ statement said that moments after the shooting he “picked Reeva up as I'd been told not to wait for the paramedics. ... She died in my arms.”

Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic runner from South Africa who has been charged with premeditated murder in his girlfriend’s death, says he fired a gun at his bathroom door  under the assumption that an intruder gained entry to his home, Reuters reported.
Pistorius fired into the door of a small bathroom where his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp  was cowering after a shouting match on Valentine's Day, hitting her three times, authorities say.
The magistrate ruled that Pistorius faces the harshest bail requirements available in South African law. He did not elaborate before a break was called in the session.
Pistorius sobbed softly as his lawyer insisted that Steenkamp's shooting was an accident.
"She couldn't go anywhere. You can run nowhere," prosecutor Gerrie Nel said at a bail hearing.
The shooting death has shocked South Africans and many around the world who idolized Pistorius for overcoming adversity to become a sports champion, competing in the London Olympics last year in track besides being a Paralympian.
Steenkamp, 29, was a model and law graduate who made her debut on a South African reality TV program that was broadcast on Saturday, two days after her death.
Nel said the couple had had a shouting match and Steenkamp fled to the bathroom, down a seven-yard passage from the bedroom, and locked herself in. He said the 26-year-old Pistorius got up from bed and had to put on his prosthetic legs to reach the toilet door.
Nel told the court the door was broken open after the shots were fired. Pistorius' lawyer insisted there was no evidence to substantiate a murder charge.
"Was it to kill her, or was it to get her out?" defense attorney Barry Roux asked the court, referring to the broken-down door. "We submit it is not even murder. There is no concession this is a murder."
Pistorius, who had appeared grim and solemn at the start of the hearing, broke down and sobbed softly with his head in his hands as his lawyer argued that it was an accidental shooting. It occurred in the early hours of Feb. 14. Neighbors had heard a loud argument and then gunshots, police have said. The couple had been dating for only about three months.
As details emerged at the dramatic court hearing in the capital, Steenkamp's body was being cremated Tuesday at a memorial service in the south-coast port city of Port Elizabeth. The family said members had arrived from around the world. Six pallbearers carried her coffin, draped with a white cloth and covered in white flowers, into the church for the private service.
June Steenkamp, the mother, said the family wants answers.
"Why? Why my little girl? Why did this happen? Why did he do this?" she said in an interview published Monday in The Times newspaper.
Outside the court, several dozen singing women protested against domestic violence and waved placards urging Pistorius be refused bail. "Pistorius must rot in jail," one placard said.
South Africa has some of the world's worst rates of violence against females and the highest rate in the world of women killed by an intimate partner, according to a study by the Medical Research Council. 
Another council study estimates a child or woman is raped every four minutes. While homicide rates have dropped, the number of women killed by current or former partners has increased, said the council's Professor Rachel Jewkes. At least three women are killed by a partner every day in the country of 50 million, she said.
Steenkamp campaigned actively against domestic violence and had tweeted on Twitter that she planned to join a "Black Friday" protest by wearing black in honor of a 17-year-old girl who was gang-raped and mutilated two weeks ago.
What "she stood for, and the abuse against women, unfortunately it's gone right around and I think the Lord knows that statement is more powerful now," her uncle and the family spokesman Mike Steenkamp said after her memorial.
He said the family had planned a big get-together at Christmas but that had not been possible.
"But we are here today as a family and the only one who's missing is Reeva," he said, breaking down and weeping.
At the court, Nel said the killing was premeditated because Pistorius had planned to say that he thought he was shooting an intruder, and had told that story to his sister, Aimee.
"It was all part of the preplanning. Why would a burglar lock himself inside the bathroom?" Nel asked. The shooting happened at Pistorius' home in a guarded and gated community in a luxury suburb of Pretoria.
Roux, in arguing that Pistorius should be freed on bail, he said there were no other charges outstanding against the double-amputee who last year became the first double-amputee track athlete to run at the Olympics.
Legal experts say it could take months for the case to be tried.
Pistorius, in a gray suit and tie, nodded after the chief magistrate asked if he was well. And he nodded his appreciation when his brother, Carl, pressed his shoulder in support. Journalists jammed into the courtroom, which was full with almost 100 people, including Pistorius' father, Henke, and sister Aimee.
In an email to The Associated Press on Monday, Pistorius' longtime track coach -- who was yet to comment -- said he believes the killing was an accident.
"I pray that we can all, in time, come through this challenging situation following the accident and I am looking forward to the day I can get my boy back on the track," Ampie Louw wrote in his statement. "I am still in shock following the heart-breaking events that occurred last week

17 comments:

Red Ryder said...

Hmmm. So OP says he didn't have his prosthetics on when he shot at the "burglar" and prosecution says he put them on to follow RS and shoot her. Sounds like it should be relatively easy to prove by the angle of the bullets, after all, firing from standing to what could be likened to kneeling height bullets would have different trajectories. Or have I just seen too many episodes of CSI?

Tania Cadogan said...

my comment sent to the daily mail, i wonder if they'll post it?

OscarPistorius " I have been informed I have been acused of murder - I deny the accusation."

OscarPistorius "Nothing can be further from the truth that I planned the murder of my girlfriend."

Statement analysis indicates he is being deceptive.

At no point does he make a strong reliable denial, first person singular (I) past tense (didn't/did not) event specific ( murder Reeva/my girlfriend) if he can't say it we can't say it for him.
Lying is stressful & thus we seeks ways of avoiding the stress either by deception of fact or deception by omission.
Words are thought of a microsecond before being spoken.What is worth noting is the embedded "I planned the murder of my girlfriend."

Also worth noting is "I fail to understand how I could be charged with murder, let alone premeditated... as I had no intention to kill my girlfriend."

What was his intention then if it wasn't to kill?

Intentions can & do change, he had an intention, he doesn't say what it was




Tania Cadogan said...


By Jill Reilly
PUBLISHED: 08:22, 19 February 2013 | UPDATED: 15:41, 19 February 2013

Comments (370) Share
..
Oscar Pistorius today admitted shooting dead his model girlfriend but claimed he had only opened fire because he mistook her for a burglar in the middle of the night.
In a harrowing statement read out to Pretoria magistrates court, the athlete dubbed Blade Runner said he had been on the balcony of his house when he heard noises from the bathroom
Believing Reeva Steenkamp was asleep, he grabbed his handgun and shouted a warning before firing four shots through the door, magistrate Desmond Nair was told.

It was only then, Pistorius claims, that he realised Miss Steenkamp was not in bed. 'I kicked the door open,' he said. 'She was alive. I tried to help her but she died in my arms.'


Pistorius, 26, sobbed inconsolably throughout the lengthy bail hearing. At one point the magistrate postponed proceedings so the Paralympic athlete could compose himself.
Although no decision was made on bail today, Mr Nair did rule that the charge would be premeditated murder indicating Pistorius, who last year became the first double-amputee track athlete to run at the Olympics, is likely to remain behind bars until trial.
He has now been driven back to jail where he will spend a sixth night behind bars before the hearing resumes in the morning.


As Pistorius's relatives supported him in court, the distraught family of Miss Steenkamp attended her funeral in Port Elizabeth.
Her brother Adam said that her death had 'left space missing inside all of the people that she knew.'
But there was also anger. Gavin Venter, an ex-jockey who worked for Reeva's father, called for the harshest of sentences for Pistorius.

'Without a doubt. He's a danger to the public. He'll be a danger to witnesses. He must stay in jail,' he said.


Pistorius arrived at the packed courtroom early this morning to hear the case against him outlined for the first time.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel told the court that his model girlfriend had arrived at the house on a gated estate at around 6pm on February 13 with an overnight bag.
Painting a picture of a premeditated murder, he said that Miss Steenkamp was shot when she took refuge in the bathroom after the couple had been aruging.
'The applicant armed himself, attached his prosthesis, walked seven metres to the bathroom and shot the deceased while she was in the toilet.

'He shot four times...There's no possible explanation to support his report that he thought it was a burglar,' he said.
'If I arm myself, walk a distance and murder a person, that is premeditated,' he said. 'The door is closed. There is no doubt. I walk seven metres and I kill.'



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280929/Oscar-Pistorius-Blade-Runner-sobs-prosecutor-accuses-premeditated-murder-girlfriend-Reeva-Steenkamp.html#ixzz2LMR9Es3u

Tania Cadogan said...


'The motive is 'I want to kill'. That's it,' he added. 'This deceased was in a 1.4 by 1.14 metre little room. She could go nowhere.'
Mr Nel said the killing was premeditated because Pistorius had planned to say that he thought he was shooting an intruder.
'It was all part of the preplanning. Why would a burglar lock himself inside the bathroom?' Mr Nel said.

'She locked that door for a purpose. We'll get to that purpose. 'That is where she was when those shots were fired. She couldn't go anywhere. It must have been horrific.'
Pistorius's father, brother and sister sat on a bench behind him, with his brother occasionally kneeling to put a comforting hand on his brother's back.
After a brief break, the athlete's lawyer Barry Roux stood up to ask for his client to be granted bail, claiming that the shooting was accidental.
'We submit it is not even murder. There is no concession this is a murder,' he said claiming there was a number of cases where men had shot members of their family through doors after mistaking them for burglars.

He then read aloud Pistorius's sworn affidavit which detailed the chain of events leading to Miss Steenkamp's death.
'I fail to understand how I could be charged with murder, let alone premeditated murder because I had no intention to kill. I had no intention to kill my girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp,' he said.

'I have been informed I have been accused of murder – I deny the accusation. Nothing can be further from the truth that I planned the murder of my girlfriend.
'On February 13 Reeva would have gone out with her friends, me with mine. She wanted to stay at home.
'I was watching TV. My legs were off. She was doing yoga. At the end of the evening we got into bed.
'I’m acutely aware of people gaining entries to homes to commit crime, I’ve received death threats. I sleep with my 9mm under my bed. I woke up to close the sliding door and heard a noise in the bathroom.

'I was scared and didn’t switch on the light. I got my gun and moved towards the bathroom. I screamed at the intruder because I did not have my legs on I felt vulnerable. I fired shots through the bathroom door and told Reeva to call police.
'I walked back to the bed and realised Reeva was not in bed. It's then it dawned on me it could be her in there.

'I kicked the door open. Called paramedics and complex security. I tried to carry her downstairs for help. I tried to help her but she died in my arms.'
Pistorius also said that he was 'deeply in love' with his girlfriend and that she had bought him a Valentine's Day present, but told him not to open it until the following day.
Asking for bail, the athlete said: 'I am an international sports star, I will not evade my trial. After the shooting I did not flee the scene. I remained until the police arrived.'
Pistorius broke down several times during the hearing and at one point had to be comforted by his family and given an energy drink.
The court also heard evidence from those close to Miss Steenkamp including her best friend Samantha.


In a statement read to the court, she said: 'Reeva said if Oscar asked her to marry him, she would probably say yes.'
At this point Pistorius bowed his head. He faces life in prison if found guilty of premeditated murder.


The courtroom was packed full of journalists and observers - the demand for entry was so heavy that the court said they would only admit 25 journalists.
At the start Magistrate Desmond Nair appeared concerned about Pistorius' state of mind as he appeared.
'Are you well?' he asked Pistorius gently as he walked into the court, wearing a dark grey suit and black tie.
'Yes sir,' Pistorius said in a barely audible voice, his head bowed. He clutched a white handkerchief.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280929/Oscar-Pistorius-Blade-Runner-sobs-prosecutor-accuses-premeditated-murder-girlfriend-Reeva-Steenkamp.html

Anonymous said...

I am not very good with links but the official affidavit from today's proceeding appears on a local radio station website.
http://bit.ly/XKzINA
I will type it up when I get the time.
pg 8 pint 16.18..
I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva.
Interesting he is more concerned about himself and is image ..being mortified.. which he puts first than the loss of his girlfriend.

Jeff said...

I hope this doesn't end up as yet another celebrity getting a slap on the wrist because he's famous. About 90% of his affadavit is alibi-building. Thank goodness for statement analysis!

Anonymous said...

'I fail to understand how I could be charged with murder, let alone premeditated murder because I had no intention to kill. I had no intention to kill my girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp,' he said.

'I have been informed I have been accused of murder – I deny the accusation. Nothing can be further from the truth that I planned the murder of my girlfriend.

'On February 13 Reeva would have gone out with her friends, me with mine. She wanted to stay at home.
'I was watching TV. My legs were off. She was doing yoga. At the end of the evening we got into bed.

'I’m acutely aware of people gaining entries to homes to commit crime, I’ve received death threats. I sleep with my 9mm under my bed. I woke up to close the sliding door and heard a noise in the bathroom.

'I was scared and didn’t switch on the light. I got my gun and moved towards the bathroom. I screamed at the intruder because I did not have my legs on I felt vulnerable. I fired shots through the bathroom door and told Reeva to call police.

'I walked back to the bed and realised Reeva was not in bed. It's then it dawned on me it could be her in there.

'I kicked the door open. Called paramedics and complex security. I tried to carry her downstairs for help. I tried to help her but she died in my arms.'

Pistorius also said that he was 'deeply in love' with his girlfriend and that she had bought him a Valentine's Day present, but told him not to open it until the following day.

Asking for bail, the athlete said: 'I am an international sports star, I will not evade my trial. After the shooting I did not flee the scene. I remained until the police arrived.'

Pistorius broke down several times during the hearing and at one point had to be comforted by his family and given an energy drink.
The court also heard evidence from those close to Miss Steenkamp including her best friend Samantha.

In a statement read to the court, she said: 'Reeva said if Oscar asked her to marry him, she would probably say yes.'
At this point Pistorius bowed his head. He faces life in prison if found guilty of premeditated murder.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280929/Oscar-Pistorius-Blade-Runner-sobs-prosecutor-accuses-premeditated-murder-girlfriend-Reeva-Steenkamp.html#ixzz2LMeWXMy4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Nanna Frances said...

If I had an intruder trapped in my bathroom, I would inform them not to attempt to come out. Then I would call LE. He could have asked who was in the bathroom. I don't believe him. He thinks he can get away with anything because he is a hero.
His story does not pass the straight face test.

ellish said...

I agree, Nanna.
His story does´t pass the straight face test on many levels.
He killed her and is now trying to save his own skin, period.

Statement Analysis Blog said...

Nanna has put out "the expected" in analysis; the basic, common sense response that we look for.

When we do not see it, we are now confronted with "the unexpected"; which is how we deal in Statement Analysis.

Peter

Anonymous said...

He has (like a snail/slug)LEFT A TRAIL!!!!! Guilty m'lord!

Tania Cadogan said...

^5 nanna.

In such cases we know what we would do.

If i thought there was an intruder in my bathroom i would first shout who's there (it's instinct when we hear a loud unusal noise that sounds like movement) whilst turning on the light,
I have the intruder trapped he can do one of 3 things.

He can escape the way he came in, via the window. the result is i am safe and he isn't identified.

If he came in via another way and can't get out the window he can sit there till the cops arrive, the result is i am safe, he is arrested.

He can try and escape by opening the door and making a run for it.
Since i will be armed with my walking stick and i fight down and dirty i may get a few bumps and bruises, he isn't going anywhere, he gets arrested.

If it is not an intruder but a family member or house guest, when asked who's there they will automatically reply "it's me you twit" cue embarressed laughter and all is well.
No reply and the door is locked i am dialling 911 and warning the intruder what i am doing i am also screaming blue murder, rape intruder, fire anything that will grab attention as opposed to help which is often ignored or a genralised scream which is almost always ignored. Screaming will also keep the intruder stressed and scared.

misspoppypants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BostonLady said...

If someone were trying to gain entry into the house, would they use the "toilet room" ? And, no where do I see that Oscar even tried to find out where Reeva was when this all supposedly happened. He never once called for her? I also read that the oar had blood on it. How does this happen when he used it to break down the "toilet" door??

It is interesting to see how Oscar places the emotion at the right place in the story and it doesn't ring true.

Based on the analysis, I believe he is guilty of pre-meditated murder.

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by the fact that once he learns the cricket bat is part of the case in the media he changes his story from the police interview to the bail papers saying that she must have come to the bathroom door (possible exPlaination for injuries to her head). I used the cricket bat to break down the door as opposed to I kicked down the door (using this as an explanation for why blood ended up on it if he dropped it on the floor after getting in).

Anonymous said...

Based on his statements about his legs (which I believe are used to elisit sympathy and belief that he is weak when interestingly he sung a different tune to get in the Olympic against able bodied men) the police can definetly prove Pre meditation if they can prove he out on his legs before shooting through the door! This guy is a tricky one! He will have tonnes of sympathetic supporters. I hope he doesn't get away with it and I hope her reputation is not destroyed for the sake of her family.

Anonymous said...

you're actually a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you're ԁοing any distinctive triсk.
Furthermorе, The contents are maѕterωoгκ.
you've performed a excellent job in this subject!

Also visit my webpage party pills cheap