Saturday, March 2, 2013

Crystal Magnum of Duke Lacrosse Case

As we recently discussed the prosecutorial misconduct of Alex Hunter in refusing to sign the indictment
against John and Patsy Ramsey, and his deceptive statement to the press, which gave the impression that the Grand Jury did not indict them, we have the misconduct of another prosecutor in the case of Crystal Mangum.

Here, the prosecutor saw a politically correct racial opportunity to gain fame.  One can imagine that he saw himself at the head of marches, arm in arm with protestors outraged at the white, privileged, monsters, in support of the poor, underprivileged victim.

A prosecutor with political ambitions is a dangerous monster to behold.  Sworn to uphold justice, this man, instead, sought to pervert it for his own gain, caring not that he was destroying innocent lives.

We covered this case in Statement Analysis and saw reliable denials.  Here is a brief background of the troublesome accuser, Crystal Mangum, from Wikipedia.

We'll view some of the statements of the players shortly.

Crystal Mangum

Crystal Gail Mangum  is an American woman who is best known for making false allegations of 
rape in the Duke lacrosse case.
As of April 2011, she is being held on murder charges related to a fatal attack on her boyfriend.

Early life

Mangum was born and grew up in Durham, to a father who drove trucks. In 1993, at age 14, she claimed
 to have been kidnapped by three assailants, driven to Creedmoor, North Carolina, and raped.
 One of those she accused was her boyfriend, who was 21 at the time. 
She filed a police report making these allegations in late 1996. 
She subsequently backed away from the charges, a move relatives claimed was motivated by fear for her life.
 Mangum's father says he does not believe any such incident occurred involving force,
 though her mother believes a similar incident could have occurred- but three years later rather than in 1993.[1]
After graduation from high school in 1996, she joined the U.S. Navy.
 She served for less than two years before being discharged from the service after becoming pregnant.[1]
By 2002 Mangum had returned to Durham and was working as a stripper. 
In 2003, she was arrested on ten charges after stealing the taxicab of a customer 
to whom she had given a lap dance. This prompted a police pursuit at moderate 
speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, though occasionally in the wrong lane. After being stopped, 
she attempted to run over a police officer, succeeding only in hitting his patrol vehicle.
 She was found to have a BAC of just over twice the legal limit. Ultimately, she pleaded guilty on four counts, 
serving three weekends in jail, paying $4,200 in restitution and fees, and being given two years probation.[1]
In 2004 she gained an associate's degree from Durham Technical Community College
and subsequently enrolled full-time at North Carolina Central University in police psychology.[1]

Duke lacrosse case

After arriving, intoxicated, with a fellow stripper for a strip tease at a house rented by
 two of the Duke University men's lacrosse team captains, she became involved in an
 argument with the occupants of the house, and left. After becoming involved in an 
altercation with her fellow stripper that necessitated police assistance, she made a 
false allegation of rape. District Attorney Mike Nifong, up for reelection, 
pursued the case despite questions about the credibility of Mangum,[3] and exculpatory evidence
 that failed to demonstrate that Mangum had been raped by the Duke lacrosse players.[4]
 It took nearly a year for the attorney-general's office to dismiss the charges and declare 
that the players were innocent of the charges laid against them by Nifong.[5]

[edit]Arrests since lacrosse case

Just before midnight on February 17, 2010, Durham police were called to Mangum's residence
 by her nine-year old daughter. When they arrived, they said they found Mangum and her live-in
boyfriend fighting. They said she set fire to some of his clothing in a bathtub in their presence.
The building suffered heavy smoke damage. They arrested Mangum on charges of attempted murder
, first-degree arson, assault and battery, identity theft, communicating threats, damage to property,
 resisting an officer, and misdemeanor child abuse.[6]
Mangum was ordered to remain in jail on $1 million bond. Her bond was lowered to $100,000 in May,
and she was released from jail to live in a friend's house. She was required to wear an electronic
 monitoring device. On July 12, 2010, she was released from house arrest and required to move
in with her mother. She was allowed to visit her three children but only under supervision of social services.
Mangum was arrested again on August 25, 2010, and held on $150,000 bond for failure to comply with
the restrictions on her child visitation order.[7]
On December 17, 2010, Mangum was convicted of five misdemeanor charges involving child abuse.
 She was also convicted of injury to personal property and resisting a public officer.
The jury deadlocked 9-3 for conviction on the felony arson charge but was unable
 to reach a decision on it.[8] After the verdict, Judge Abe Jones sentenced Mangum to
 88 days in jail, which she had already served, and left the custody decision in the hands
of social services.[9] Durham Assistant District Attorney Mark McCullough announced on
January 21, 2011, that he would not retry Mangum on arson charges.[10]
Mangum was arrested on April 2, 2011, following accusations that she stabbed and seriously i
injured her boyfriend. She was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill
 inflicting serious bodily injury, a class C felony in North Carolina.[11][12] Her boyfriend later
died in the hospital, and Mangum was indicted on a murder charge.[13]As of April 19, Mangum
was being held in jail under a $300,000 secured bail bond, which was set prior to her boyfriend's
 death.[2][14] In November, Mangum was deemed competent to stand trial for murder.[15]
On May 1, 2012, Mangum's attorney withdrew citing the release by Mangum of
 confidential information regarding her case to her supporters.[16]


bernadette said...

OT: Police: Connecticut ireighters accused in sex slavery case. When I read this, I wondered you would do such a thing, until I saw their pictures. These two thugs gave plenty of statements if you are interested. Great statement analysis material. I would love to know if they are being 'deceptive'.

bernadette said...

Sorry, I forgot to post link to the above post.

bernadette f said...

"firefighters" not ireighters. lol

Mainah said...

OT: CT firefighter/sex

Bernadette, I did not see statements by the perps, and was confused at first, there are two firefighter/sex stories in the news there.

Bernadette said...

Mainah said:
You may have to google it. In one of the firefighters stories, one state" that the now 16 year old girl 'forced' him to have sex with her. Nevertheless, its a story(s) worth discussing, yes? Firefighters and a sex scandal.

Anonymous said...

It might be useful to note that no transcripts are kept of grand jury proceedings in North Carolina; and that someone indicted by a grand jury there loses the right to a probable cause hearing.

Nifong, by having the lacrosse players indicted by a grand jury (on false charges), deprived them of a chance to present their evidence to a judge.

After arrest the players were never once questioned by police and never asked to give statements; and Nifong refused all offers to examine their evidence of innocence.

(The moment the players presented their proofs, the case would have been over.)

How do you get prosecuted for a year and yet never have a chance to talk to the police
and give them your statement and evidence?